Sign in with
Your question
Closed

TCP/IP and Windows Firewall Problems On Dell Optiplex GX280

Last response: in Windows XP
January 4, 2012 8:38:57 PM

My dad is having problems connecting to the internet on this computer. He has tried using a Wireless Adapter to no avail. The problem with the internet is that even though the NIC is connected, the browser won't go to any websites. So I decided to help, but when I clicked repair connection, it did not work and said TCP/IP Failed TO Query. This prompted me to go to the Services and try to start up the service. I went into the properties for that service and went to Dependencies and Windows Firewall was listed. Windows Firewall, when I started the service, failed to start. What could be the problem?

More about : tcp windows firewall problems dell optiplex gx280

January 4, 2012 8:52:57 PM

Turn your firewall of (temp) and try and connect again, see what happens, tcp/ip is always fun to fix.
Score
January 4, 2012 9:14:18 PM

As stated in my OP, the Firewall Service won't start at all.
Score
Related resources
January 4, 2012 10:20:39 PM

Ohh :S oopsays!

Check that your wireless device or Ethernet options are installed correctly. Not sure how but its possible that a driver is out of date and decided not to work with a modem/router, or internet connection update in the tcp/ip somewhere. I suspect this because it's an older unit.
Score
January 5, 2012 5:24:48 AM

I did a test by using the HDD on another computer and it would not run the Firewall service either, so it seems it is a software issue. Hopefully someone can now help after that clarification.
Score
January 6, 2012 6:30:39 AM

Yeah, I came to that conclusion. Thanks. Just gotta wait for my dad to give me the reinstallation CD. :p 
Score
!