Sign in with
Your question

Nightmare RAID installation

Last response: in Storage
a b G Storage
April 30, 2011 8:14:21 PM

I can't believe installing a RAID 1 can be this difficult. Everything has gone wrong. Can someone point me to a good tutorial, please.
a c 82 G Storage
May 1, 2011 2:13:37 AM

What OS and are the RAID drivers already installed?
m
l
a b G Storage
May 1, 2011 4:16:16 AM

I'm using XP Pro SP3 to be installed from a CD. I've had no problems configuring the BIOS and finally got the AMD RAID configuration figured out during POST but access to my USB floppy is intermittent. I've tried two different ports. At first the RAID driver appears to get loaded but then I have no choice but to format or quick format which I suppose deletes the driver if in fact it ever got loaded. Then the first thing Windows tries to do is load the RAID driver and it fails. There doesn't seem to be any way out. I tried loading the driver onto a flash drive but the system reported an unrecognized format. I've given up. This is worse than losing data.
m
l
Related resources
May 1, 2011 4:29:31 AM

Ive never tried making a raid1 (mostly because its so slow) on a home computer but cant you use window's disk management and mirror the drive after youve installed windows? Or were you trying to specifically use the raid function of the mobo?
m
l
a b G Storage
May 1, 2011 4:58:49 AM

shin0bi272 said:
Ive never tried making a raid1 (mostly because its so slow) on a home computer but cant you use window's disk management and mirror the drive after youve installed windows? Or were you trying to specifically use the raid function of the mobo?

I just spent a lot of money recovering data from a catastrophic HDD failure so I'm looking for a way of getting the most protection for the dollar. RAID 1 seems to fill the bill if you believe what you read. I've never heard anybody say it was any slower than a single drive. I'm unaware of a mirror function in disk manager. I just bought two 1TB WD Black drives for the RAID and a single 2TB WD green to be used in an external USB housing for bulk storage.
m
l
May 1, 2011 5:13:55 AM

raiding is a function in most server OSes (never tried it on xp honestly) convert your disk to dynamic and raiding should be an option. But yeah raid 1 is a mirror which means it writes to both drives at the same time ... not really slower no but compared to a raid0 it is. I know raid0 isnt going to give you any redundancy which is what youre after... whenever Ive built a raid its either been a 0 or a 5 at home. 0 on the game rig to get that little boost of performance and 5 on the file server for redundancy.
m
l
a b G Storage
May 1, 2011 5:31:50 AM

shin0bi272 said:
raiding is a function in most server OSes (never tried it on xp honestly) convert your disk to dynamic and raiding should be an option. But yeah raid 1 is a mirror which means it writes to both drives at the same time ... not really slower no but compared to a raid0 it is. I know raid0 isnt going to give you any redundancy which is what youre after... whenever Ive built a raid its either been a 0 or a 5 at home. 0 on the game rig to get that little boost of performance and 5 on the file server for redundancy.

I just checked and mirror isn't available through disk manager on XP.
m
l
May 1, 2011 11:56:41 AM

what motherboard are you using so I can try to find the manual for it online
m
l
a b G Storage
May 1, 2011 4:58:10 PM

shin0bi272 said:
what motherboard are you using so I can try to find the manual for it online

It's an ASUS M4A88TDV EVO/USB3 but I've read and followed every relevant word multiple times. It just doesn't work as described. Also, the relevant instructions are scattered through the manual. That's why I was looking for something in tutorial form written by someone who has actually done it and not some manual writer. If there's a hell, people who write manuals should be sentenced to follow their own instructions for eternity.
m
l
May 1, 2011 8:15:12 PM

i know you probably don't want to hear this... but i believe upgrading to win7 pro would solve your issues...
m
l
a b G Storage
May 1, 2011 8:35:55 PM

crains said:
i know you probably don't want to hear this... but i believe upgrading to win7 pro would solve your issues...

The cure is worse than the disease.
m
l
May 2, 2011 5:46:53 AM

Dont know if this is in your manual but I did find this:

m
l
May 4, 2011 4:21:50 AM

you might have to find a copy of server 2003 ... same kernel as xp just for servers... that should let you do everything you want to do without all the overhead of vista/7... Since xp doesnt want to let you use a boot floppy for this..... or... idea.... can you burn the raid driver to a cd and put that in the drive when you get to that point and remove the windows cd then [edit] after it loads the raid driver[/edit] it will say "cant find cd labeled windows xp" or whatever and you just put the windows cd back in... it might work... worth a shot at this point right?
m
l
a b G Storage
May 4, 2011 4:45:53 AM

shin0bi272 said:
you might have to find a copy of server 2003 ... same kernel as xp just for servers... that should let you do everything you want to do without all the overhead of vista/7... Since xp doesnt want to let you use a boot floppy for this..... or... idea.... can you burn the raid driver to a cd and put that in the drive when you get to that point and remove the windows cd then [edit] after it loads the raid driver[/edit] it will say "cant find cd labeled windows xp" or whatever and you just put the windows cd back in... it might work... worth a shot at this point right?

Well, it's a reach but you're right I can't say it won't work although I did try a USB stick and got an error message saying "unrecognized format". Remember, when XP was written there weren't any USB sticks. If an optical disk would work it wouldn't be necessary to make a floppy from the MB driver disk. Right now I'm thinking a simple automated external backup might be OK.
m
l
May 6, 2011 5:32:56 PM

crains said:

Upgrading the OS rarely solves an existing problem (though a fresh installation of Win7 might result in other improvements.)

I have run RAID-1 on three different machines. Every time it was supported by BIOS and chipset. None of them were problematic.

I do not advise using any kind of Software RAID or operating system construct; if you lose the OS, you lose the data as well. A drive failure on a hardware RAID-1 leaves you with a single-drive that still runs well.

Just my $0.013 after taxes.
m
l
a b G Storage
May 6, 2011 7:47:29 PM

wizardprang said:
Upgrading the OS rarely solves an existing problem (though a fresh installation of Win7 might result in other improvements.)

I have run RAID-1 on three different machines. Every time it was supported by BIOS and chipset. None of them were problematic.

I do not advise using any kind of Software RAID or operating system construct; if you lose the OS, you lose the data as well. A drive failure on a hardware RAID-1 leaves you with a single-drive that still runs well.

Just my $0.013 after taxes.

As I've written, my problem hasn't been with BIOS or chipset support of RAID. Unfortunately my MB does not support a floppy drive and there isn't any other way to install the required driver during OS installation. The instructions in the MB manual for making a USB floppy recognized by the OS during installation worked intermittently but not when needed. So, I've decided on an external backup system instead.

EDIT: I decided to try slipstreaming the required driver into my WXPro disk. That didn't work either. The slipstreaming appeared to go well but use of the disk caused corruption of the RAID drives during OS installation so bad that they had to be reformatted using an external USB enclosure.
m
l
!