Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Help Overclocking 1090-T

Last response: in Overclocking
Share
September 4, 2011 8:03:27 PM

Hi Everyone,

I am trying to Overclock my 1090-T to 4 Ghz to 4.2 Ghz (If possible). I can get to 3.7 stable @ 1.46 Vcore, but it seems no matter what I throw at this thing, I can't get past that & be at stable. I do realize that I should be able to get to 3.7 stable with even less voltage, but for some reason it's not wanting to work for me. I even set it for 200 - 20 Multiplier (4 Ghz) with 1.55 vCore & while it booted into Windows fine, it restarted about 30 seconds after I started prime95.

My hardware is as follows:

Windows 7 64 Bit Ultimate
Asus M5A88-V Evo MB
Amd 1090-T Cpu
Kingston HyperX 1600 Mhz DDR3 (KHX1600C9D3K3/12GX). The kit came with 3 - 4 Ghz sticks, which I am using 2 of them (3rd in another machine)

While the memory kit was a "triple channel" kit, Asus said that it was compatible with the board, but also mentioned that some 1600 Mhz sticks didn't overclock well. I also read that using 2 sticks that totaled 8 Ghz was harder to overclock.

Anything settings that I can try to change? Would adding more memory help with the overclock or trying different memory (even if the total amount of sticks & total memory was the same help) ?

Below are the screen shots of the bios. At the moment, I am trying to see if I can get stable at 3.8 Ghz

Thanks!!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/67230870@N08/6113174585/in...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/67230870@N08/6113718974/in...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/67230870@N08/6113174977/in...

More about : overclocking 1090

September 4, 2011 8:49:09 PM

try going the other way with it......

first disable that cpu levelup

try pushing your htt/cpu mhz to 235-240 boot with a multi of 14

check for stability.....

boot with 15.....

check gor stability......

boot with 16.......if all goes well you should be stable at 3.84GHz

good luck

ps.... you mentioned nothing of your cooling or temps........i hope your not trying this on a stock cooler

pss....your mem is perfect....dont change it

psss.....if nothing works you may have crapped out in the silicon lottery :cry: 
m
0
l
Related resources
September 6, 2011 6:54:29 PM

My Cooler is an H60. Ok I tried what you mentioned & for some reason, while it would boot into windows fine, the stress test would quit after about 30 seconds. So I did some more looking (since I remembered a bunch of sites doing overclocking tests). I found one that got to 3872 (242 x 16), with the following settings

NB - 2600
HT Link - 2600
Vcore 1.5v
CPU/NB 1.35v
Ram 1.65v
SB 1.35v

I tried these settings (except my sb would only allow 1.30 or 1.40 (1.40 being the max) & I was able to stress test for about 1/2 hour before it restarted. The temp on Coretemp hit about 55C.

Anything to tweak at this point?

badtaylorx said:
try going the other way with it......

first disable that cpu levelup

try pushing your htt/cpu mhz to 235-240 boot with a multi of 14

check for stability.....

boot with 15.....

check gor stability......

boot with 16.......if all goes well you should be stable at 3.84GHz

good luck

ps.... you mentioned nothing of your cooling or temps........i hope your not trying this on a stock cooler

pss....your mem is perfect....dont change it

psss.....if nothing works you may have crapped out in the silicon lottery :cry: 

m
0
l
September 6, 2011 7:15:34 PM

yeah.....have you tried using asus' turbo evo software that comes with your board......ive found it incredibly useful ...... you can play with that ratio a lil bit.... ie drop it to 235x16.5???

its all about the trial and error........keep at it though your doing quite well.....squeezing every last drop out of a chip that wasn't a great overclocker to begin with will make you a better overclocker for when you get a lil more lucky in the silicon lottery....by the time bulldozer comes out...hell you may get good enough for 5ghz!!!
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
September 6, 2011 7:41:10 PM

55C may be the thermal limit for your CPU before it starts to malfunction.
m
0
l
September 7, 2011 8:31:01 AM

Actually I haven't tried it. I loaded it & was able to get to 3792 (205 x 18.5), but it when i raised it to 207, Prime95 crashed after about 30 minutes. When I tested it at 205, it got up to 58C. Idle it's around 40C

Thank you!!

badtaylorx said:
yeah.....have you tried using asus' turbo evo software that comes with your board......ive found it incredibly useful ...... you can play with that ratio a lil bit.... ie drop it to 235x16.5???

its all about the trial and error........keep at it though your doing quite well.....squeezing every last drop out of a chip that wasn't a great overclocker to begin with will make you a better overclocker for when you get a lil more lucky in the silicon lottery....by the time bulldozer comes out...hell you may get good enough for 5ghz!!!

m
0
l
a b À AMD
a c 241 K Overclocking
September 7, 2011 9:12:10 AM

Drop your FSB to 230 and increase your multiplier to 18, keep NB at 2000
or relax your timimng RAM or drop multiplier RAM, also at 3.8Ghz Vcore not too much 1.44v -1.47v
m
0
l
September 7, 2011 4:00:55 PM

Hello,

Well I wouldn't be dropping the FSB, I would actually be raising it (I'm at 205 now), so 230 x 18 would be 4140. Also for some reason, with this board, prime95 keeps crashing (at 3.8ghz) is the vcore isn't at 1.5 & raising some of the other voltages. When I was at 3.7ghz, I needed 1.47v of vcore, while the rest I could practically leave as is.

When you say drop the ram multiplier, are you talking about the speed (1333 mhz, 1600 mhz) ?

NB at 2000, Ok. What about the HT Link speed?

Now on the relaxing of ram timings, this part I'm kind of confused on. My ram is rated for 9-9-9-27 (based on Kingston's recommendations). I have read another set of #'s to try is 8-8-8-24, but the last I read the 9-9-9-27 was more relaxed then the 8-8-8-24. Is this right or is using the #'s that start with 8 more relaxed then the ones that start at 9 ?

Thanks

henydiah said:
Drop your FSB to 230 and increase your multiplier to 18, keep NB at 2000
or relax your timimng RAM or drop multiplier RAM, also at 3.8Ghz Vcore not too much 1.44v -1.47v

m
0
l
September 7, 2011 4:43:59 PM

stick with the 99927 for now.....

the ram multiplier is a ratio that links your fsb to ram speed......youll want to run it in "unganged mode" which disables that ratio and lets them do their own thing
m
0
l
September 7, 2011 5:19:42 PM

Ok I did a reboot & on the post screen it does say "unganged mode". I looked in the bios to see if I could find any setting for this, but couldn't find it. I did change the CPU NB to 2010mhz (it was set on auto). I left the rest alone & doing another prime95 test to make sure that the change in the NB, won't cause it to crash after a "few minutes".

I currently have HT link speed set for auto. Should this also be set for 2000?

badtaylorx said:
stick with the 99927 for now.....

the ram multiplier is a ratio that links your fsb to ram speed......youll want to run it in "unganged mode" which disables that ratio and lets them do their own thing

m
0
l
September 8, 2011 12:39:00 AM

Ok Update. By changing the NB/CPU to 2000mhz (or close to it), the stress temp was lower at 52c. However when I raised the FSB by 2, it crashed after 45 minutes.
m
0
l
a b À AMD
a c 241 K Overclocking
September 8, 2011 1:13:44 AM

i think you must Focus on Raise Multiplier at 3.8Ghz let alone FSB auto (200), still keep NB at 2000, i know you want OC ram, Oc Ram for Next step if you get stable at 3.8Ghz with Raise Multiplier,

OC RAM easy with change divider / Ratio RAM to 1:2 and try tighten timming also increase voltage RAM at 1.6v
m
0
l
September 8, 2011 3:33:26 AM

Ok I lowered the FSB & Raised the multiplier & it crashed right away. According to CPU-Z my memory is at FSB:D RAM 3:10

While I know I've have got ram to 1:2 before, for some reason it's not working for me (Unless I need to actually lower the ram speed down from 1333mhz to something slower.

I made a youtube video of my bios settings. The only thing different from what you see in the video compared to what is stable for me is the fsb & Multiplier (205 & 18.5).

I've read about some other settings to disable (example: spread spectrum) but a lot of this stuff isn't in my bios (unless it's called something different).

Anything else to try? I was running at 3.7 ghz & now I'm practically at 3.8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_FrhGiMQoo


henydiah said:
i think you must Focus on Raise Multiplier at 3.8Ghz let alone FSB auto (200), still keep NB at 2000, i know you want OC ram, Oc Ram for Next step if you get stable at 3.8Ghz with Raise Multiplier,

OC RAM easy with change divider / Ratio RAM to 1:2 and try tighten timming also increase voltage RAM at 1.6v

m
0
l
September 9, 2011 1:30:34 PM

53 just seems too hot for just being in bios.........an h60 should be cooler than that@ 3.8ghz.......id try re-mounting it just to make sure it's getting proper contact.........also make sure you have a reputible thermal compound.......

temps may? be what are holding you back?!?!?!!?
m
0
l
September 10, 2011 12:12:08 AM

I took off the cooler like you mentioned, applied some new thermal paste & the temps did drop by 5c. I'm wondering if it's not my hardware that causing the issue in some fashion. I went & looked at the BSOD logs from when I was trying to test 4 ghz & most of the errors was 0x00000124 hal.dll or 0x0000000a ntoskrn.exe (using bluescreen viewer)

While 3792 work, I lowered it back to 3718 b/c of how much additional voltage I had to apply for about 100mhz performance.

At this time, I'll probably go with this (unless someone else has other recommendations to try, I even lowered the memory speed down to 800 mhz & it still crashed rightaway at 4 ghz) for right now, until I can see what Bulldozer bench marks looks like, as I am now thinking of either getting that or an I7 2600k, but not exactly sure.

Thanks for everyone help!!

badtaylorx said:
53 just seems too hot for just being in bios.........an h60 should be cooler than that@ 3.8ghz.......id try re-mounting it just to make sure it's getting proper contact.........also make sure you have a reputible thermal compound.......

temps may? be what are holding you back?!?!?!!?

m
0
l
a b À AMD
a c 241 K Overclocking
September 10, 2011 1:01:23 AM

the errors was 0x00000124 = not enough vcore for X6 arround 1.5 - 1,52v

hal.dll or 0x0000000a ntoskrn.exe (using bluescreen viewer) : i think you need fix your partition HDD with clean OS + Driver
- Reset Clear Cmos
- test your Ram with memtes86+ ( just check an error)
m
0
l
September 10, 2011 7:12:26 PM

I can say that I was able to get the cpu to 4 ghz stable, when I had my Gigabyte DDR2 board, but I wanted to switch to DDR3 b/c I wanted to add more memory & while I was at it, I picked up a board that Asus said was going to be ready for BD, but that board died & I picked my current board.

Like I said before, I'm going with this for now until I decide if I want to go with BD when it comes out or switch to Intel

Quote:
What you are describing is reaching the "frequency wall" of your cpu. Where another 100 or so MHz is costing you a LOT of voltage and heat. To go past it is the realm of extreme overclocking (exotic cooling, unreasonably high voltages), which is completely useless for other than epeen.

I hate to break it to you, but Thubans run fairly hot and overclock very poorly compared to Deneb. I have to say I'm impressed that you got the results you did.

m
0
l
!