Oct 25, 2009
first off, my system:

CM storm scout w/ three 120mm and two 140mm fans
AMD PII 550 black
Gigabyte ga-ma790gp-ud4h
stock AMD HSF
OCZ 550w psu
2gigs DDR2 800

so with the ma790gp i was able to unlock the 3erd and 4th cores on the 550, but after word it reads my cpu temps on all four cores as -256c lol (using AMD, core temp wont even read anything) not sure why, i have turned off the cores until i learn more. Does anyone know why this is happening and if it is possible to correct it?

and to anyone thinking of buying the 550 black, do it, this thing is awesome even as a duel core and can't beat 100$ mine is overclocked to 3.4Ghz by just raising the multi to x17.0 and it never goes above 45c with both cores running 100% (AMD stability test for 5hrs) that's with the stock AMD HSF.

my cpu temps on all four cores as -256c lol (using AMD, core temp wont even read anything) not sure why, i have turned off the cores until i learn more. Does anyone know why this is happening and if it is possible to correct it?
This is a common problem. As of yet, there are no software fixes for it.

it never goes above 45c with both cores running 100% (AMD stability test for 5hrs) that's with the stock AMD HSF.
How are you measuring it if the software ain't working? IR thermometer?

Msixteen

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2009

as it says above "both cores", meaning those temps were recorded while the cpu was only running on the original two cores, therefore the core temp and AMD overdrive can read the temps proporly

the only time the software is not working is when i unlock the other two cores

Msixteen

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2009
yea not bad for a 100$ proc. i just wanted to make sure i wasn't going to already fry the thing, it is cheap but i would rather spend the 100$ on something besides replacing a new proc. lol

fatFranky

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
Just found your post. I tried to do this last night with the same motherboard and phenom 550, but afterwards my computer wouldn't boot. Or it would just cycle through the Gigabyte screen and the "start normally" option on the reboot screen. Does that mean for this phenom 550 I can't unlock the other 2 cores? Did you choose "hybrid" in the bios or (I think) "open all cores"? Finally, what bios version do you have? Thanks for your help!

1) Set EC Firmware to 'Hybrid'; and
2) Set ACC (Advanced Clock Calibration) to Auto.

Should be the first menu in the 'MIT' sub menu in the BIOS.

edit: I fergit ....

The BIOS on my Gigabyte board has an option where you may save up to ten different BIOS configurations ---- check out the 'F11' and 'F12' functions.

And I haven't noticed a difference (don't pay attention - LOL ) but don't forget to 'Ctrl-F1' at the main screen ---- it might expand some tweaking options.