Black screen with ati hd4870x2 after driver is installed

pcfixed

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2008
tried everything, i am using on an HD tv and also tried with normal tft
my bios is up to date
works fine in safe mode but not in normal mode, as soon as i install any driver and restart, it load windows xp fine then
boots to black screen...nothing no sound or anything

this is realy pissing me off and I regret having to buy an ati card it is the worst company in the word, how can they do this to us

any suggestions please i am stuck here

hardwaretechy

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2008
Can you set the resolution to something that you know your HDTV will display? Some tvs are restricted on what resolutions and aspect ratios they will display, with the typical behavior being a black screen if the chosen settings are out of range. Same with a regular monitor.

Before you try installing another driver, make sure that you completely uninstall any old video driver you were using before (you can use the cat-uninstaller and DriverCleaner Pro). You can do this in safe mode, then reboot.

If the card is working on normal windows bootup and in safe mode, its likely that only the driver is at fault. Grab a fresh download just to be safe and then install it ( to be safe make sure you select the 4870x2 as your card on the ATI/AMD driver download page).

The black screen can also happen from a bad refresh rate setting.

If none of that works its possible that there is something wrong with the card itself.

Starting by bashing the company isn't going to do you any good, nor is it helpful if you're trying to get advice.

pcfixed

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2008

I know it wont help i've been trying to solve this for the last 3 days, did around 4 fresh xp installs, but i want to know if you think there is a version
of ati drivers that seems stable, which one is it? i used the 9.8 same problem...left it on black screen for 1 hour nothing happened,,,,just useless

callachan

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2009
I'm kind of in the same boat here with two 4850's in crossfire. Using a similar method to above with Drive Sweeper in safe mode did the trick to get it up and running properly on the 9.7 drivers, otherwise my monitor would just lose the signal when Windows 7 x64 would boot up.

However, now I was hoping to get 9.8 installed but this method just doesn't want to work. Having the exact same problem. Tried just about every suggestion I could find but nothing seems to make a difference.

Anyone have any other ideas?

pcfixed

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2008

you know what, i think there is some hope in your message, i didnt actualy try 9.7 at all and i've been reading its good, i only tried 9.8 which came yesturday
and also the original drivers with the cd (8.6 i think), i'll try driver sweeper and do your method tonight. I realy want to use this card and if i dont fix it in the next 2 days
my wife will leave me maybe because I spent all my recent time after work on this card lol

also, driver sweeper isnt in torrents, do you know a good link? and do you know a good link for W7 64bit as torrent? cheers..

callachan

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2009
Yeah, drive sweeper is free. Easy to find.

What's funny is that Vista x64 seems to be working just fine with the drivers without having to use drive sweeper or anything. I haven't attempted 9.8 on Vista yet, but 9.7 installed easily without a problem. Update and good to go. Maybe it's something with Windows 7 RC...regardless, hopefully it won't be an issue (or a work-around will be available) once we get the full version in October.

soundefx

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
I treat a new driver like a bios. If the driver I have is working, and the 'white paper' on the new one doesn't show inprovement over the one I have, I don't update to it.

As in reference with this thread, if the newest driver doesn't work, try older ones. There is a reason why they provide you with a link to most of the older drivers.

pcfixed

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2008

tried 9.7 same, i am gona try install vista 64bit today and try 9.7
my motherboard is dfi x48t2rs with latest bios. I am so fed up with this problem, what if there is no monitor connected to the graphic card? would the pc still
boot still without monitor or does ati have something that it wont boot to os without monitor?

G

gys i have nvidia geforce 7300gt and got the same problem its not with driver of vga its about the driver itself maby the memory slots of card is down or something hardware not in software and i got no solution for this issue if any body got answer plz help?