2 6.0gbps HD (ssd and wd black) on giga p55a-ud4p

wp746911

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009
I have a gigabyte p55a-ud4p (r1), its got 6gb/s capability:

Chipset: 1.6 x SATA 3Gb/s connectors (SATA2_0, SATA2_1, SATA2_2, SATA2_3, SATA2_4, SATA2_5) supporting up to 6 SATA 3Gb/s devices
2.Support for SATA RAID 0, RAID 1, RAID 5, and RAID 10

Marvell 9128 chip: 1.2 x SATA 6Gb/s connectors (GSATA3_6, GSATA3_7) supporting up to 2 SATA 6Gb/s devices
2.Support for SATA RAID 0 and RAID 1

I was planning on getting a ocz vertex 3 for my main hd ssd, and a wd black 2tb drive for my media/bulk storage- they are both 6gb/s drives- are there any caveats to watch out for (does the marvell chipset have any problems with 2 drives, will there be loss of performance with 2 drives like this, etc)? I could get an older wd black that is 3gb/s if there is a probelm (or can I just run the new 6gb/s drives on the 3gb/s sata port)?

Don't see a pb with running this. Just know that the mechanical drive won't come anywhere close to 6 Gbps performance. In fact, I believe its a waste especially if you're paying a premium for SATA III. The black drive won't even come close to filling SATA II pipeline. I don't think there's an issue running any of the drives in SATA II mode, but I do know if you want 6Gbps performance you should ensure you have SATA III cables.

Save your money and just get a SATA II data drive. For the time being I would just put the vertex 3 on that channel.