Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

[Need Advice] Basic RAM Questions For First Time Builder...HELP!

Last response: in Memory
Share
January 20, 2010 11:38:28 PM

Well, I just finished and booted up my first pc that I've built! I'm now searching around in the BIOS for RAM settings. I have 4GB of G.skill ripjaws 1600mhz RAM (1.6v) ...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


.. installed with an i5 750 cpu on an Asus p77p55d-e pro mobo. I know I can only run these sticks at 1333mhz with my cpu right? Is it ok if I manually select 1333mhz as the DRAM speed option in the BIOS? I believe it is now set to AUTO. I do not want to change anything without being sure. Also, where do I see the voltage of the installed RAM? This RAM is suppose to be at 1.6v. Should I change anything if it is not at 1.6v? Can I make it any better without hurting anything? Where is the voltage setting?

The CAS settings for this RAM is 7-8-7-24-2n. I believe I saw in the BIOS that it is currently running at 9-9-9-something. Can I mess with these settings? It looked kind of confusing to try and change those. Now I bought this good RAM and I want it to run as good as it can without hurting it. How do I go about making it run at 7-8-7-24-2N???

Sorry for all of these questions but I am a BIOS nOOb! I want to learn how to change things myself and make my system run as well as it should. I'm gonna hold off on overclocking the cpu right now but I would like to get my RAM up to speed ASAP.

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks for your time!

- manooly
a b } Memory
January 20, 2010 11:50:43 PM

manooly said:
I know I can only run these sticks at 1333mhz with my cpu right?

That's right - unless you OC your CPU. You can change your BCLK, which affects both CPU and RAM, and then lower your CPU Multiplier so that your CPU is closer to normal while leaving your RAM higher. But this will cause you to lose the 750's Turbo. Someone may tell you to turn on XMP - but this will cause the motherboard to do what I just described. It will bump up your BCLK to make your RAM run faster, but it will decrease your CPU multiplier. The same thing you can do later on by hand if you want to start OCing.

Quote:
Is it ok if I manually select 1333mhz as the DRAM speed option in the BIOS?

Yes.

Quote:
Also, where do I see the voltage of the installed RAM? This RAM is suppose to be at 1.6v. Should I change anything if it is not at 1.6v?

There is be a DRAM Voltage setting. Since you are not running at 1600 you might be able to get away with running with less V. If you're up for testing it out, set it to 1.5V and see if its stable. Otherwise you can just set to 1.6V.

Quote:
The CAS settings for this RAM is 7-8-7-24-2n. I believe I saw in the BIOS that it is currently running at 9-9-9-something. Can I mess with these settings? It looked kind of confusing to try and change those. Now I bought this good RAM and I want it to run as good as it can without hurting it. How do I go about making it run at 7-8-7-24-2N???

Look for the DRAM timings. Change the first four to 7, 8, 7, and 24. The 2n is the command rate.
The settings are in the DRAM Timing Control menu. Set:
CAS# Latency to 7
RAS# to CAS# to 8
RAS# PRE to 7
RAS# ACT to 24
and DRAM Timing Mode to 2N


One more thing, when you think you have the settings you want, run memtest86+ to check for errors: http://www.memtest.org/

You'll still want to stress test your system later with LinX or Intel Burn Test or Prime95. But memtest86+ is a good first test.
January 21, 2010 12:14:20 AM

ekoostik said:
That's right - unless you OC your CPU. You can change your BCLK, which affects both CPU and RAM, and then lower your CPU Multiplier so that your CPU is closer to normal while leaving your RAM higher. But this will cause you to lose the 750's Turbo. Someone may tell you to turn on XMP - but this will cause the motherboard to do what I just described. It will bump up your BCLK to make your RAM run faster, but it will decrease your CPU multiplier. The same thing you can do later on by hand if you want to start OCing.

Quote:
Is it ok if I manually select 1333mhz as the DRAM speed option in the BIOS?

Yes.

Quote:
Also, where do I see the voltage of the installed RAM? This RAM is suppose to be at 1.6v. Should I change anything if it is not at 1.6v?

There is be a DRAM Voltage setting. Since you are not running at 1600 you might be able to get away with running with less V. If you're up for testing it out, set it to 1.5V and see if its stable. Otherwise you can just set to 1.6V.

Quote:
The CAS settings for this RAM is 7-8-7-24-2n. I believe I saw in the BIOS that it is currently running at 9-9-9-something. Can I mess with these settings? It looked kind of confusing to try and change those. Now I bought this good RAM and I want it to run as good as it can without hurting it. How do I go about making it run at 7-8-7-24-2N???

Look for the DRAM timings. Change the first four to 7, 8, 7, and 24. The 2n is the command rate.
The settings are in the DRAM Timing Control menu. Set:
CAS# Latency to 7
RAS# to CAS# to 8
RAS# PRE to 7
RAS# ACT to 24
and DRAM Timing Mode to 2N


One more thing, when you think you have the settings you want, run memtest86+ to check for errors: http://www.memtest.org/

You'll still want to stress test your system later with LinX or Intel Burn Test or Prime95. But memtest86+ is a good first test.



Thanks for all of that info! I tried the memtest link but did not see anything to download. Hmmm....I'll look closer later.

How do I test 1.5v and see if it is stable as you said?
Related resources
a b } Memory
January 21, 2010 1:12:35 AM

manooly said:
Thanks for all of that info! I tried the memtest link but did not see anything to download. Hmmm....I'll look closer later.

Scroll down half way to a section labeled Download (Pre-built & ISOs).

Quote:
How do I test 1.5v and see if it is stable as you said?

Check out step 10 in the system builders guide: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/274745-31-step-step-g...

Run memtest first. Some people let it run overnight. The guide suggests 7 passes. I'd say at least a couple hours. If you can let it run overnight, do it.

Prime95, as mentioned there in the guide, will put some good stress on your entire system including RAM. The guide mentions 3 temperature monitoring programs, I found SpeedFan to report temps too low. Unless they've updated it, it will be off about 15C. To be sure your temps are reported right, grab 2 of the programs and see if they match.
January 29, 2010 11:37:48 AM

I made my 7-8-7-24 2N changes in the bios and noticed a bunch of more options below those. Should I be changing anything else?
!