Sign in with
Your question

An upgrade question thread of mine

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 17, 2009 9:53:15 PM

Ok, so I need to upgrade my computer as it is about 3 years old. My current proccesor is an AMD Sempron 3400+ on a Socket 939. My graphics card is an ATI Radeon XPRESS 200. My monitor's native resolution is 1280x1024 at 60Hz.

I need to decide what to upgrade on my computer and I want it to be a bang for your buck upgrade.

For graphics cards, I have been noticing the Geforce 8800GT, the Gefore GTX 260, and the HD 4800 series, (and maybe the new 4770 one).

Will my proccesor bottleneck these cards?

If so, which ones and by how much in terms of frames per second (as good a guess as you can get).

Also are these cards to powerful for my monitors resolution?

I want to be able to max or close to max most games, but I don't want to spend money needlessly on a more powerful card if I don't need it.

If I don't need these cards then which one should I get?

Also, if my processor does bottleneck these cards by a SIGNIFICANT amount, if its only by like 5 frames then I will keep my current processor thank you very much =), which processor should I upgrade to?

I am thinking that I would like to go to duals or maybe tri's, but certainly not quads, all I do on my computer is gaming, I don't do any video editing or photoshop or anything like that, so I'm guessing that duals are the way to go? I was thinking about the E8400, but is that overkill?

I am pretty sure that I need to upgrade my PSU (which is at 250W right now) and my motherboard.

Please help me, I have like 150 tabs open on information on research I am doing on the subject, I am drowning in information, please send a PFD my way and please help me =(
August 18, 2009 5:45:03 PM

Anyone? Please I desperately need help, I thought I was knowledgeable in this kind of researching, but I am not and I need help from fellow computer people. Thank you.
m
l
a c 196 U Graphics card
August 18, 2009 5:55:45 PM

There is a sticky at the top of the new builds section with a format for requesting advice on a new build. The answers there will provide the information needed for us to give good suggestions.
m
l
!