Sign in with
Your question

AMD Phenom II X4 Quad Core 955 Black Edition? and..?

Last response: in CPUs
October 25, 2009 9:56:16 PM

Hey guys im finally actually gona upgrade this time its gone beyond a joke tbh..I was looking at the AMD Phenom II X4 Quad Core 955 Black Edition

What would this cpu be like for a casual-medium gamer like myself..I have a 4850 512mb and corsair 650psu all ready but suffering really bad lag spikes and graphics lag due to intel pentium 4 and other old parts

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...atid=6&subcat=

Its goin for 134.99£/146€ on overclockers uk compared too 166€ on pixmania.ie

I also want to buy a motherboard and some new ram. I dont want anything fancy with the motherboard would be happy with just one pcie slot to keep the cost down and maybe be able to put <8gb ram or more? Need some ram too would like some ram too 4gb would be nice but i can go for just two if it would be ok..Would like to keep the cost down as much as i can but dont mind payin for quality either

Id like to buy stuff that would do me for another 1-2 years.

Also when i get the new stuff would it fix the blue screens i get alot and other little problems or would all that be to do with the hard drive ?

Thanks guys
a b à CPUs
October 26, 2009 1:13:11 AM

I'll let someone with more knowledge recommend a motherboard, but I think you'd be very happy with the Phenom II X4 955 and a 4850 for casual to medium gaming. The PSU is good too.
A BSOD can be caused by a lot of different factors... there could be a memory problem or a malfunctioning driver. But if you're going to do a major upgrade like this, you'll have to reinstall Windows--which might clear up any issues with old or conflicting drivers.
a b à CPUs
October 26, 2009 1:44:11 AM

what is ur budget?
Related resources
October 26, 2009 2:54:54 AM

Would this ram do the trick? Im not looking to overclock tbh so would the generic one do the trick? would it be realiable?Is ddr3 the way to go ?

Budget is around 100£ for mobo and ram after processor wont be buying them all at once tho cuz i cant afford it so would it be worth saving some more ?
October 26, 2009 3:14:03 AM

Also will mico atx work with any machine or ? How do i knoq my psu would work with the mobo
October 26, 2009 3:26:08 AM

A 955 is a high end cpu, it'll be good for high end gaming, but... the 4850 might restrict you but still it'll be a good system.
October 26, 2009 11:46:30 AM

yeah il upgrade 4850 at xmas maybe..oh how do i know the mobo would fit my hewlet packard case?
October 26, 2009 9:14:51 PM

oh... HP, Dell, Gateway- whatever, they all have horrid cases. But the Asus Crossahair III will undoubtedly fit as its small, but a normal ATX one might fit.
a b à CPUs
October 26, 2009 10:21:58 PM

U can go with the generic RAM that is fine if u aren't going to OC

U can keep the case from HP since they use micro ATX mobos and if u get a new micro ATX mobo the case can stay

the PSU will work with almost any Mobo and definately urs

what di u mean the micro ATX mobo will work with any machine
a b à CPUs
October 27, 2009 9:37:21 PM

you got really good parts there and u can keep the case
October 27, 2009 10:38:02 PM

:)  Yeah that sounds good..

I got xfire if anyone would like to play some :)  liamhef2006

:D  cheers Upendra
a b à CPUs
October 28, 2009 12:39:35 AM

no problem and good gaming to you