HTPC w/4770 streaming HD?

thelastknight

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2007
I am building a HTPC with the ATI 4770, Intel Q9400 proc 4GB RAM and Gigabyte P45 board. What is the software install process required so that I can stream HD movies (mkv files, .ts, iso's ect) from a shared server to the PC? Currently my server is already shared out and ready for HTPC. As my laptop's can see them fine but can't play HD with a Dell Latitude (NVM 160 video card over Wireless N). My laptop isn't

This is what I currently plan to do:

Install Win 7 RTM 32bit - I only have 4GB ram so 64bit wont buy me anything.
Install all drivers for Gigabyte MB including chipset drivers from manufacture if they are newer (NIC/Chipset ect).
Install Video Drivers latest catalyst (full install)
At this point do I install a codec softare or is this built into the Ati's video driver? This is where I have no idea.
Install video player like VLC or Windows Media Center with possible mymovies addon.

Questions:

Once the video driver is installed do I need anything else?

I believe AVIVO is part of the Catalyst video driver but dont know if I need a codec? Like COREAVC or KM123? I dont what the CPU to be pegged as my older system can't handle it... this is why I am rebuilding.

If anyone has a complete process of what to install in what order, I would love that!!!!! I dont need to know how to click next but the actual apps\software.

I appreciate all input as I am not a rookie with PC's and Servers but not about streaming HD so bare with me pls. Thank you! Thank you!

thelastknight

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2007

I also like the XBMC software interface but I really need advice on the order from video driver to software install processes. do you know they used for codecs?

There are a number of ways to go about installing software/codecs. Here is one way, I'm assuming you have a version of Vista with Media Center. The order doesn't matter too much, as long as you get everything installed.

After installing all of your drivers, the next thing you need to prep the system to handle mkv files. For this, you need to install a mkv splitter. The most common in use is a freebie called Haali Media Splitter. This will allow your HTPC to open up mkv files. These files are just a CONTAINER, so what's inside (audio, video, etc.) will need to be decoded in order to play.

Next, download and install the latest ffdshow tryouts. This is an all-in-one codec solution that handles pretty much any audio and video that may be in your mkv container. A little setup may be in order, but just the default install should allow you to play your mkv files.

DVD's that are ripped to folder structure (ts) shouldn't need any more setup. ISO files, however, may require you to install something like Daemon Tools in order to mount the ISO in a virtual drive.

Now, you need an easy way to catalog and launch all of your video files. I strongly suggest either Media Browser or MyMovies2. The former has a better interface while the latter may be a little more user friendly for newbs. Both of these programs will install to the menu within Vista Media Center and will allow you to browse your videos and launch the movies. Each program will need to be setup to point to wherever your server stores your video files. You'll also have to set up the metadata for your movies.

For blu-ray ripping, I recommend you get Slysoft's AnyDVD HD though this is the one program I've referenced in this post that is not free (but it's a great tool).

You'll have to play around with the above programs to get everything working smoothly and it will take a little trial-and-error to get things just right.

This is just a very quick overview for getting video files setup to play on a HTPC. Hope this helps.