GA-H55M-UD2H & i5 750 problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeyd810

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
Having an issue with this new build, basically the system doesn't power up past a two-three second spin of the fans. I've swapped the mobo with an identical one, put a new PSU in, removed the memory to try and at least get a post beep. I pulled the board out and tried just out of the case to make sure it wasn't an issue with one of the chassis mounts or a short or something.

I'm scratching my head, I'm RMA'ing the CPU back to newegg now as it's the only thing I haven't ruled out and left at this point. My biggest fear is my new CPU will get here and I'll have the same exact problem.

Tried with various combos of this hardware

Intel Core i5-750 Lynnfield 2.66GHz LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80605I5750
GIGABYTE GA-H55M-UD2H LGA 1156 Intel H55 HDMI Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
OCZ Obsidian 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model OCZ3OB1600LV4GK
GIGABYTE GV-R467ZL-1GI Radeon HD 4670 1GB 128-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
FSP Group Blue Storm II 400 400W ATX 2.2 Active PFC Power Supply
ENERMAX ECO80+ EES500AWT 500W ATX12V V2.31 SLI & Crossfire Ready Compatible w/Core i7 80PLUS Certified w/Magnetic Magma Fan Active PFC Power Supply

notty22

Distinguished
Have you tried one stick of memory. Gigabyte boards start up with memory voltage at 1.5. with a fresh bios reset , I have the same memory (obsidian vdimn1.65), my bios is lazy and I can slowly get to the screen to up the voltage to 1.65. My point is the memory might not be letting the board boot.

mikeyd810

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010

Yup using DDR3_1 and DDR3_3, this mobo only has a 4 pin 12v power connect up by the cpu

brinstar117

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010
Hello mikeyd810, I purchased this motherboard as part of a combination deal at a local electronics chain (Fry's Electronics) and have run into the exact same issue.

The first motherboard exhibited that problem, but only did it intermittently. When it successfully powered on, the loaded OS would be fine until a random power off (anywhere between 5 minutes to 8 hours). I assumed my power supply was not up to the task and ended up upgrading it. However, the problems persisted despite a more than sufficient PS (650W).

I did an even exchange on the motherboard and have just finished installing it. The new motherboard exhibits the same problem, but even more frequently. I have ensured there are no electric shorts by removing and testing the motherboard outside the case. I have tried 3 different power supplies, different hard drives and installed Windows XP, Windows 7, and Ubuntu. I have eliminated as many variables as possible. All other components I have used have been known to be good in other computers or have been stress tested for 10+ hours without error. The motherboard has been the only consistent part when problems occur.

I have sent a support request to Gigabyte, but I am not hopeful. I will most likely return the whole combination. I have only owned one other Gigabyte motherboard before, the GA-P35-DS3R, a Core 2 based board with a Q6600 installed and it has worked flawlessly. I hope the current motherboard is just a bad batch or else I will have to add Gigabyte to my list of manufacturers to avoid for the time being because of poor quality control.

Please let me know if/how you resolved your problem. I'm still waiting for a response from Gigabyte.

mikeyd810

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010

I ended up actually buying an MSI P55-GD65 instead and things worked fine after that point. Something with that mobo and chip together is not good, Gigabytes support and response time was horrible too.

brinstar117

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010
I ended up returning the combination. When I got a new combination with a different brand motherboard I experienced similar issues. It turns out I had bad RAM. Even though I stress tested the RAM using the Windows 7 memory diagnostic and SiSandra, neither detected any errors.

I used Memtest+ x86 4.0 and it found 6 errors after 8 hours of testing across both sticks. I don't know if the first two motherboards contributed to damaging the RAM or if the RAM was suspect to begin with and degraded over the week. I exchanged the RAM (Corsair brand DDR3) and now everything is running smoothly on a Biostar motherboard (my first experience with this brand). I think the first Gigabyte board was probably okay. It's just too bad I didn't try Memtest earlier. It would have saved me a lot of headache. Also, Gigabyte has not responded to my support email yet! Oh well :D

SkipTML

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2010
Thank you for your clear post and diagnosis. I am having intermittent failures with new H55M-UD2H with i3-530 and Corsair 2GB mem sticks. Win 7 won't get to a full logged on start in normal mode with 2 sticks (4GB). It will run reasonably well on 1 stick, but in past 4 hrs of this first full day using the PC, I've had 3 shutdowns, of various flavors. Last is a hard power off.

I will look for the mem test you mention and boy, if the Corsair sticks are the problem, that would be not too bad to remedy. Bought from Newegg which I believe will be easy to work with on a return.

SkipTML

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2010
Thanks! Ran the test for 1 pass (15 mins) and there were no errors. Will run it now all night.

Regul

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2011
I too am having a similar problem which to me seems to be a CPU, Mobo combination fault , I inherited a second hand GH55m-UD2H with a Pentium 6950 with no ram seeing my current pc was a bit long in the tooth i thought it would make a nice upgrade if i was able to procure a better CPU. So i purchased a RiPjaw 8gb set and installed it into my old case, No problems at all ran flawlessly for 1 mth until i was able to buy an I7-870, new CPU installed then the 3 second fan spin as described above, I then reinstalled my old CPU and ran perfectly again hopefully there is an answer out there as my cheap upgrade looks like it could be getting expensive

SakthiChennai

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2011
I have a Mercury MBD - PI845GLM-AGP and after not using the system for long time when I tried to switch on the system it comes up for few seconds and then switches off. The SMPS fan and CPU fan runs during this time and also the BIOS shows the display and suddenly it will switch off. I tried suspecting one after the other and finally ended up removing the MBD out of the chasis and spent more than 2 hours figuring out what is wrong. Finally I decided to remove everything and first removed the CPU and its HSF assembly, Applied some heatsink paste and put on the HSF assembly and ensured that the sink is touching the CPU by feeling the paste moving in between. This time when I powered on it goes fine booting and I had not the powerup problem again. SO THE MORAL OF THE STORY IS CPU HEATSINK SHOULD BE PROPERLY ASSEMBLED WITH THE PASTE SO THAT CPU TEMPERATURE IS UNDER THE SAFE LEVEL AND AVOID THE POWERING OFF DUE TO HIGH CPU TEMPERATURE. oops I lost several hours !

duedhelwen

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2012
The power supply would be my guess. It's ATX v2.2...I have a FX-6100 that refused to boot on any ATX v2.2 PSU's, but worked just fine on a v2.3 .... Intel i3/5/7 have similar issues. The thing is, ATX 2.2 requires more of a power draw on the 12v (read: cpu line) rail before the power 'kicks on'...while v2.3 lowers the threshold, allowing for lower power consuming and smaller die processors to work and be compatible. From Wikipedia, regarding ATX 2.2 vs 2.3:

ATX12V v2.3
Effective March 2007 and current as of 2011. Recommended efficiency was increased to 80% (with at least 70% required), and the 12 V minimum load requirement was lowered. Higher efficiency generally results in less power consumption (and less waste heat), and the 80% recommendation brings supplies in line with new Energy Star 4.0 mandates.[14] The reduced load requirement allows compatibility with processors that draw very little power during startup.[15] The absolute over-current limit of 240VA per rail was removed, allowing 12V lines to provide more than 20A per rail.

When you said you tried a different power supply, make sure you try an ATX v2.3 and see if it would boot.

Status
Not open for further replies.