henrygarle

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
What PSU would i need to support:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=BU-010-OB&groupid=43&catid=339&subcat=
With one nvidia 260

What would be the minimum recomended?

Thanks,
Henry

wiinippongamer

Distinguished
i'd rather to get this one: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-011-CS instead of just the 550w one, yea it will be enough for that system, BUT later on, when you want to upgrade your card or add some more hard drives or dvd burners, then you'll NEED to replace the psu, future proof your system and buy the 750w or better.

also remember that the 260 is almost a 1.5 year old card, and with the 300s most likely coming out this year, then you might want to upgrade soon. and i don't think the 550w can handle even a 280 without pushing it a little too far, as it need a very minimum of 550w,or at least that's what nvidia says, and is almost for sure that the 300s will need more.

The general rule of thumb is a high quality 500 to 550 watt power supply with sufficient current (amps) on the 12 volt rail(s) can easily power a system with any single video card made. A high quality 700 to 750 watt power supply with sufficient current (amps) on the 12 volt rail(s) can power a system with two video cards operating in dual mode. There are a few exceptions like the new ATI Radeon HD 5XXX series cards which use less power due to their energy efficiency.

Before purchasing a new psu you will need to decide whether you will eventually have a pc with one or two video cards.

Corsair, PC Power & Cooling, and Seasonic are some of the brands that have a reputation for high quality power supplies that consistently earn high marks in technical reviews. They are reliable, stable, and come with a 5 year warranty. Lately we've been seeing a few other brands offering some high quality units.

henrygarle

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
The reason im asking is because Ive just built my new rig and im having some weird problems. A wireless adapter that worked perfectly in my old system on windows 7 now only connects for about a minute before the adapter seems to crash and needs reseting. All i could think of that would cause this problem out of the blue is that there was perhaps a lack of power and the USB's were getting hit but im really lost for ideas on it.