Lock Ups with BFG Nvidia Geforce 9800 GTX+

ceruleansilverwolf

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2009
I have a 600W power supply, a Nvidia Nforce 6100 [version 1] motherboard, with Athlon's dual core 64 bit 5400 processor. Two DDR2 2GB each dual channel memory modules [nvidia], I took out one cause the motherboard is incapable, and a fairly recent Barricuda hard drive.

That all said, my issue is pretty straightforward. My system is more stable without the extra memory module, bringing it down to 2GB of RAM, the OS is irrelevant, because I've tried everything. Its currently a Vista 64-bit operating system. As soon as I get into a game, like Sims 3 or Zoo Tycoon 2, the music skips, the screen goes black, and the system is completely unresponsive. The resolution is small once rebooted, like the video card had crashed. The lock ups cause the card's fan to stop spinning, and sometimes it keeps going. I know its probably the motherboard, but I wanted advice before I once again tried to update the other parts off the basis of Tech Support. This is a RMA return, and benchmark programs say that the video card should be working beautifully.

Also, some of the things I've done is work with the DRAM config, and none of that has worked out. The motherboard still runs my old Nvidia Geforce 7600 GS like a dream. The case has been cleaned, the powersupply is brand new. One of the memory modules is new, but I just took it out, and the old one is still working because its been tested with the old 7600. Don't ask for core temps, the nforce 6100 is well known for being completely unreliable.

MGDJoker

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
If the machine plays the game with the 7600. I dont think the RAM would be bad. Could be the card. Make sure u have the correct drivers installed and done use the ones off the disk. go on nvidia.com and DL the newest ones. If its a Brand like PNY or something that makes junk. I wouldnt be suprised if its the card.

I only buy EVGA, BFG, and XFX (only as last resort).

MGDJoker

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
Also as Evongugg said. It wouldnt hurt to test the MEM either. Memtest86 is a very good peice of software. I used to use it on the Hirens bootdisk.

Just google Hiren's to find it . its a free DL , but u'll have to burn as Image on a bootable cd-rom