Aug 25, 2011
MY NEW PC CONFIG IS
>CORE I5 2500K
>MSI P67A-GD55
>4 GB CORSAIR RAM
>COOLER MASTER HYPER 212 PLUS
>CASE- COOLER MASTER USP100 BLACK
>3 120MM CASE FAN (110 CFM)

ACCORDING TO FROSTYTECHhttp://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=2419&page=5 HYPER 212 PLUS CPU TEMP SHOULD BE AROUND 10-19'C
BUT MY BIOS SCREEN SHOWS A CPU TEMP 50-51'C, N IN WINDOWS MSI CONTROL CENTER SHOWS 41-42'C.
IS THIS NORMAL OR THUS THE CPU TEMP SHOULD REALLY BE 10-19'C. PLEASE HELP

Solution
Didn't read all the replies, just thought you should know that the 10-19C is a delta, not an actual core temp. You couldn't ever get a CPU down to 10-19C without subambient cooling, i.e. a freezer, DIce, LN2, etc.

bearracuda

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2010
Okay, first off, those are the temps they got with the fan speed manually set to high. It ran 19 to 29c set to low. Secondly, CPU cooler is NOT the only deciding factor in temperature. Other factors include;

A: Ambient. Even with the best air cooler on earth, a CPU can only run so far below ambient temperature. 10c is 50 degrees Fahrenheit. If it's not 50 degrees Fahrenheit in your room, then it's unlikely you'll get a CPU temp anywhere near 50F
B: CPU. That test is done on an LGA775 socket CPU. CPUs generate different amounts of heat within different workloads and can vary in how much/how well they dissapate heat. Your CPU is -not- an LGA775 CPU.
C: Airflow. Different cases have different amounts of room and different airflow configurations. If your case doesn't have magnificent airflow or only has a fan or 2, it's unlikely you'll get your CPU down near ambient.
D: Other hardware. If, say, your video card is generating a lot of heat, it's going to make your case warmer and thus bring up the temps on everything else.
E: Wire Routing. If the wires in your case aren't well organized, they can block airflow and thus increase temperatures.
F: Caps Lock. Caps Lock will increase your CPU heat. Also, it's obnoxious. Don't do it. We have these nifty features called bold, italic, and underline if you feel the need to emphasis a particular word or thought. Don't type your entire message in those either or we'll be even less friendly next time.

41-42c is about 107F. It's a typical temp and is well within the i5's operational parameters. Don't worry about it.

akhimot

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
@bearracuda
thanx for reply
But i wonder that 41-42'c i would have got with intel's stock cooler, if the difference in temperature is so little then what is the use of using a dedicated cpu cooler

No cpu is going to run 19c-29c unless it's a cold room.

You cannot compare your temps to someone elses unless all these factors are exactly the same: components, ambient room temp, case airflow, cooling fans, etc.

41-42c is slightly warm for a idle temp, but not too bad. You should only really pay attention to 100% load temps.

Your cpu temp is higher in bios because the cpu doesn't throttle down in the bios like it does in windows, it runs full speed.

Download CPUID Hw Monitor to keep track of temps.

1) I think the frostytech temperatures of 10-19c. is the rise in temperatore over ambient, not the actual temperature.
2) The temperature will be measured on an open testbed, not inside a case where they will be higher.
3) The benefit of the 212 will show up when the cpu is under load or overclocked. The 120mm fan will bring more cooling to bear, and will be much quieter than the stock cooler.
4) Use realtemp to monitor, and prime95 to stress test. If your load temps are <70c, then you are ok.
Use cpu-z to verify that the multiplier stays at max during the test. The cpu will downclock itself if it gets too hot.

Your main problem is your info source. Frostytech is still testing coolers on the LGA 775 test platform which has totally different heat signature than than modern CPUs (1366/1155/1156) to my mind making the data quite useless since modern coolers are being designed to match the heat signatures of modern CPU's

http://www.frostytech.com/testmethod_mk2.cfm

The 212 is a great cooler ........ "for the money". The Megahalems beats it by 7C and the Scythe Mugen 2 and 3 match the Mega. The new Hyper 612 beats both of those by 4 - 5C.

bearracuda

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2010

If you're still worried about the temperature, it's possible you could've applied the thermal paste wrong, or that your thermal paste isn't very good. You could try picking up some arctic silver, googling the manual, and applying it the way the manual recommends.

I have a hyper 212 plus on my Phenom II 1055T and it's steady at 24c. (Even after a mild overclock, a year, and probably about 10 pounds of dust that I have yet to clean out of my system >.>) Then again, the hexacore phenoms are famed for running pretty damned cool. Even so, when I first made this build, I once forgot to plug in the CPU fan and with the heatsink only, it still ran at only 40c.

I keep my apartment at 72F, which is 22c, btw. when I first got this cooler and CPU, I actually saw it dip below ambient a couple times.

cuecuemore

Distinguished
Didn't read all the replies, just thought you should know that the 10-19C is a delta, not an actual core temp. You couldn't ever get a CPU down to 10-19C without subambient cooling, i.e. a freezer, DIce, LN2, etc.

Solution

beenthere

Distinguished
Yup the temps on Frosty Tech are the increase in CPU temp above ambient temp, not the actual CPU temps. So if the room temp is 25C and the delta is 15C then the CPU temp would be 40C.

FYI- Core Temp seems to give the most accurate CPU temps.

beenthere

Distinguished

Your problem is you didn't read the test information at Frosty Tech... ;) The OP's issue is he and you do not understand that Frosty Tech lists the temp. DELTA increase above ambient, NOT the CPU temp.

In addition Frosty Tech is the only review site smart enough to test on both AMD and Intel CPUs to get meaningful performance results as HSFs work differently on different CPU surface contact areas.

Frostytech is a joke, none of their tests are accurate because they use the same thermal paste for every cooler they test, which negates any advantage a specific manufacturer may have.
Some thermal pastes are silver, some are ceramic, etc, and some work better with different coolers and different materials.

AstroTC

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2010
Yea something is wrong with ur temps also take in mind there a quite a few variable when it comes to benchmarks so dnt always expect your pc to perform like what they have up. I run my 212+ Fanless cause i like things quiet my x3 450 temps at load are 45 C Max (i live in the tropics)

dontknownotsure

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2011

really? didnt know it can be run fanless

beenthere

Distinguished

I have no idea where you came up with your conclusion. As numerous tests have shown the best TIM maybe changes the temp two degrees C from the mainstream TIMs like Arctic Silver 5. The tests are completely valid and Frosty Tech tests on both AMD and Intel CPUs - which no one else does. This is important because AMD uses a larger heat spreader than Intel so some HSFs work more effectively on one brand over the other.

Frosty Tech is likely providing the best HSF techincal data of anyone on the net. If you knew anything about objective, scientific testing, you'd know that using the same TIM eliminates variables that would cause the data to be flawed and inaccurate.