Sign in with
Your question

EVGA nVidia nForce 790i ultra long beep

Last response: in Motherboards
January 21, 2010 4:40:24 AM

Hello everyone,

I have had my nforce 790i ultra for almost about 1 year now and it has worked flawlessly up until now (it could still be working flawlessly unfortunately I don't know if it is or isn't)

Earlier today I started my computer, left the room, and returned an hour later to find my monitor screen had gone to "power saving mode" (it wasn't receiving a signal from my computer, yet the computer was still on) I tried unplugging the cable from both the monitor and my computer and nothing so i decide to restart. To my surprise when I turn on the computer it yields a SINGLE long beep and nothing shows up on my monitor. I try restarting about 4-5 times, then it starts up with a single short beep, I am able to make it to my desktop, and about 10 minutes in, my screen goes to "power saving mode" and I restart my computer. This time when I start up I get a long beep followed by another long beep about every 10 seconds, continuously.

I tried to search for some answers on the internet and found that one of my hardware components was causing my motherboard to yield a long beep. When I purchased all my components last year I bought them all brand new and constructed them myself; however the only piece I did not replace was my ancient Hard drive (it must be at least 5 years old, I want to replace it with a nice raptor when I get some cash) I assumed that it must be my Hard drive, so I replaced it with one of my even older spares and tried starting and yet I still get another long beep, so i put back the original hard drive.

The next thing I thought about was the ram, I removed all 4 sticks and tried just one at a time in each slot and the computer started fine with a single short beep. Then I placed all 4 sticks in at the same time and my machine started fine. By process of elimination I assume my PSU, video card, motherboard, and hard drive are fine (or at least I hope)

So my question is, what does a single long beep followed by no other beeps mean for the nforce 790i ultra? What does a long beep repeating every 10 seconds mean?
(Unfortunately I was unable to locate my user manual for my motherboard, someone said the beep codes would be in there)
Is it possible that my ram may have become dislodged or loosened, which prompted the long beep? If it wasn't just a loosened stick what else could it be?

If you have any answers for me and need my spec's they are as follows:
dual core E8400 3.0ghz
EVGA nforce 790i ultra
EVGA geforce 9800 GX2
4 sticks of 1 GB ram (I think the manufacturer is kingston?)
old as time itself maxtor hard drive
1000W antex PSU
(I have not overclocked, changed any voltages, clocks, with the exception of the fan speed on my GPU)

I've got a nice open case with 6 fans, and I use that compressed air to clean out dust every 2-3 weeks, a month at the most. (Just to eliminate overheating as a possibility, I also checked my temp's and my CPU never exceeded 50C and my GPU never exceeded 80C(can get to 105C before it shuts down))

Sorry for the wall of text, it's my first post here, I tried looking around for an answer on google, however I think this problem is pretty unique to the system (I read somewhere that a long beep could be anything from broken Hard drive, GPU, motherboard, or ram)

OH! and one last thing before I forget, this might have contributed to what has happened to my system; for some reason I will hear a large "domm" noise from inside my wall, it sounds almost like a breaker popping yet everything on the same circuit as my system remains on (lights, clock) including my system, and yet my monitor goes into "power saving mode" and unplugging the cord does absolutely nothing to restore my screen and I am forced to restart. This usually happens when I am gaming or doing CPU/GPU intensive tasks.

Anyways, thanks for any responses, and sorry for the wall of text!
a b V Motherboard
January 28, 2010 6:39:27 AM

Would you remember what BIOS software your EVGA uses? Phoenix? AMD?

The reason I ask is because you can google for the beep codes, which are different among different BIOS software.
a c 156 V Motherboard
January 28, 2010 1:08:36 PM

A series of long (1 second) beeps indicates serious memory problems.

A single long beep? I don't know.
Related resources
January 28, 2010 11:56:08 PM

Is a single, long beep not related to GPU power? If you, for instance, forget to plug a 6-pin power connector into your graphics card and attempt to post, you get one long, continuous beep. That might be specific to my Gigabyte BIOS, however.
February 4, 2010 11:24:55 PM

jsc was right about the intermediate long beeps, they indicate a memory error. It was fixed after I took out my memory sticks and put them all back in. It turns out the little clamp pieces that hold in the memory can come undone from moving the computer around, I treat my computer pretty delicately, but somewhere over the past 2 years they came undone.

The single long beep turned out to be my GPU, I was running a defective 9800 GX2, (idling at like 80 centigrade) So I RMA'd it and got a GTX 285 as a replacement, and at 34 degrees centigrade idle, I actually have to use my stove to make bacon and eggs.
February 4, 2010 11:29:15 PM

i think its your GPU.. try to unplug and plug again or try to plug other VGA then you will know for sure if the problam comes direct from your VGA or not.
March 17, 2010 9:18:09 AM

Flubleah said:
jsc was right about the intermediate long beeps, they indicate a memory error. It was fixed after I took out my memory sticks and put them all back in. It turns out the little clamp pieces that hold in the memory can come undone from moving the computer around, I treat my computer pretty delicately, but somewhere over the past 2 years they came undone.

The single long beep turned out to be my GPU, I was running a defective 9800 GX2, (idling at like 80 centigrade) So I RMA'd it and got a GTX 285 as a replacement, and at 34 degrees centigrade idle, I actually have to use my stove to make bacon and eggs.

I agree with you. I was experiencing both the super longs beeps and the 10-second beeps occasionally, and then it started getting worse. That's when i found this thread.

I took out all memory (see specs below), took out my gpu, dusted everything and switched the memory stick positions just to be sure (they're all the same though). I then unplugged my psu and let the system sit for a little(i ate cereal). Put everything back together - and PRESTO! Hasn't happened for about 4 hours!

My rig:
EVGA 790i Ultra
Intel e6850 c2d @ factory 3.0ghz
4x1gb ddr3 ocz gold edition 1333mhz
EVGA 285GTX 1gb
!