Phenom II/AM3 build

Fortunex

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
Hi,

I'm thinking of selling my current rig (Phenom 720, ASUS M4A78-E, 4GB Mushkin DDR2-800/5-5-5-15, 2x Sapphire Radeon HD4850 1GB, OCZ GameXStream 600w, Seagate 320GB, Antec 900) and building a new one.

My computer right now is great, I love it, but I enjoy building computers and would like to get an AM3/DDR3 rig. At the time I bought my motherboard/RAM, DDR3 was still $150+ for a 4GB pack, and I couldn't afford it.

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: As soon as I sell my current rig, so probably within the month.

BUDGET RANGE: Thinking I can sell my desktop for around $1,000 - $1,200CAD, so my budget would be roughly $1,400 CAD.

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming, general use (internet, watching movies, listening to music, light photoshop/video editing)

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: www.ncix.com, but am open to suggestions. NCIX is local, so I can save money on shipping by picking the parts up

PARTS PREFERENCES: AM3 processor, been looking at the 550 and its apparently high success rate for unlocking cores, and its very good overclocking potential.

OVERCLOCKING: Yes SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Maybe. Depends on how well a single card performs at 1080p.

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1080

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I have two TVs constantly going in the room where my computer is, so noise isn't too much of a concern. My main focus is good airflow. I don't want it to be ridiculously loud, though. I love the Antec 900, great case, but if there's a better option, I'm open to suggestions.

I'd like to be able to max out every game (including Crysis) with 2xAA, so I'm not sure if a single 4890 can push this or if I should look at a crossfire solution. I'd prefer to stick to single cards if possible.

Thanks in advance!

Fortunex

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009

I'd like to start fresh with a whole new rig.

jbakerlent

Distinguished
I hate to tell you but your computer right now is excellent, it makes no sense to build a new one. If you really have to upgrade just sell the motherboard and RAM and do what helloworld said. As to maxing out Crysis, a single 4890 would not be much of an improvement over 2 x 4850. Again you have a great computer already, don't start over!

Fortunex

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009

I know my computer is great and that I'm not going to get much of an improvement. I just like to put new PCs together. I may even be able to make a few bucks off of this if I get a Phenom 550 and a 4890, assuming I can sell my PC for ~$1,100.

LATTEH

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2008
i wouldn't get a new build yours is already very good..

if you like putting computers together just take your current one apart clean the parts then reinstall windows then yay how fun :D

Fortunex

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009

Not as fun when it's not a whole bunch of new parts :3

Gotta love that new-PCB smell.