Intel ssd read scan failed...now wont boot

steven4570

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2009
over the past few hours my computer has froze. you can still move the mouse around but thats it, programs freeze and even crl alt del wont open. i had to push the power button in order to restart it. i dont know why i suspected it was the ssd but i ran intel ssd toolbox and it said read scan failed. now it wont even boot into windows now. any ideas? i have the cash to go get another ssd tomorrow but id like to save this drive if i can.

This sounds almost definitely like a hardware failure, although I would also suspect the RAM.

You can diagnose the RAM using Memtest (burn a CD or USB stick from another computer. Your BIOS must also be set to boot to that first, although in your case since it can't boot it might not matter)

The fact that your Intel scan failed is a good indicator that you need to return that SSD though.

When you get things sorted out, you should create IMAGE BACKUPS. If you have a Western Digital drive on your system you can use their free version of Acronis True Image. Make three backups:

1) Image#1: Windows installed and Activated (nothing else)

2) Image#2: drivers and updates all sorted out

3) Image#3: programs installed...

Now periodically update the third Image backup of your C-drive but always keep the first two backups on a hard drive just in case. Likely if your need to restore in the future you'd just use the most recent backup but it's not a bad idea to do it this way.

steven4570

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2009

the ssd is about a year and a half old. highly doubt its memory since after the pc posts it says read error files on drive cant be read or corrupt. i have all the imported data backed up so its not a problem. i just want to know if a clean format would cure it or do i need a replacement ssd?

TRENDING THREADS