Bad LCD Display on IBM 600E Thinkpad?

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
May 2, 2004 1:42:00 PM

Hi Everyone,

I have an IBM 600E LCD Display that recently began doing the
following:
1. On startup, I get a faded, red-tinted, blinking display
2. After a while, it fades to almost black (very faint image tho..)
3. Played with the contrast, and position of LCD to rule out
any sort of mechanical issues
4. Any standar monitor plugged into computer works great, ruling out
the video card.

My question is, can I assume my LCD is hosed or is it another problem?
If it's a bad LCD, and I have some decent computer hardware
experience, will it be simple enough to replace (let's say with an
eBay replacement..)

I love the laptop.. absolutely a well built machine. Can't give it up
yet! :)

Thanks,
-Thom
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 2, 2004 9:36:51 PM

Thom,

It's the florescent tube. As it ages the gas turns pink/red. It's not a - very
- difficult fix, and certainly not expensive. Tube will cost $25-35 on eBay. A
shop will always talk you into buying a new screen. Dont let them. I used to
get a new screen for the laptops I bought that had a red tint, now I just
replace the tube. Saves a LOT of $$.

email for instructions... not difficult, just a little involved...
remove the Dec7. from the address.

TJ

Thom Moore wrote:

> Hi Everyone,
>
> I have an IBM 600E LCD Display that recently began doing the
> following:
> 1. On startup, I get a faded, red-tinted, blinking display
> 2. After a while, it fades to almost black (very faint image tho..)
> 3. Played with the contrast, and position of LCD to rule out
> any sort of mechanical issues
> 4. Any standar monitor plugged into computer works great, ruling out
> the video card.
>
> My question is, can I assume my LCD is hosed or is it another problem?
> If it's a bad LCD, and I have some decent computer hardware
> experience, will it be simple enough to replace (let's say with an
> eBay replacement..)
>
> I love the laptop.. absolutely a well built machine. Can't give it up
> yet! :)
>
> Thanks,
> -Thom

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 3, 2004 2:50:08 AM

Could be a bad inverter. If not, the backlight is shot. It is possible
to change it, but not easy. Easier to just change the LCD

On 2 May 2004 09:42:00 -0700, thomgt40@yahoo.com (Thom Moore) wrote:

>Hi Everyone,
>
>I have an IBM 600E LCD Display that recently began doing the
>following:
> 1. On startup, I get a faded, red-tinted, blinking display
> 2. After a while, it fades to almost black (very faint image tho..)
> 3. Played with the contrast, and position of LCD to rule out
> any sort of mechanical issues
> 4. Any standar monitor plugged into computer works great, ruling out
> the video card.
>
>My question is, can I assume my LCD is hosed or is it another problem?
>If it's a bad LCD, and I have some decent computer hardware
>experience, will it be simple enough to replace (let's say with an
>eBay replacement..)
>
>I love the laptop.. absolutely a well built machine. Can't give it up
>yet! :)
>
>Thanks,
>-Thom
a b D Laptop
May 3, 2004 9:05:59 AM

Bruce Markowitz wrote:

> Could be a bad inverter. If not, the backlight is shot. It is possible
> to change it, but not easy. Easier to just change the LCD

Just for a mere $50 more!

> On 2 May 2004 09:42:00 -0700, thomgt40@yahoo.com (Thom Moore) wrote:
>
> >Hi Everyone,
> >
> >I have an IBM 600E LCD Display that recently began doing the
> >following:
> > 1. On startup, I get a faded, red-tinted, blinking display
> > 2. After a while, it fades to almost black (very faint image tho..)
> > 3. Played with the contrast, and position of LCD to rule out
> > any sort of mechanical issues
> > 4. Any standar monitor plugged into computer works great, ruling out
> > the video card.
> >
> >My question is, can I assume my LCD is hosed or is it another problem?
> >If it's a bad LCD, and I have some decent computer hardware
> >experience, will it be simple enough to replace (let's say with an
> >eBay replacement..)
> >
> >I love the laptop.. absolutely a well built machine. Can't give it up
> >yet! :)
> >
> >Thanks,
> >-Thom

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 3, 2004 9:40:52 AM

Thom Moore wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> I have an IBM 600E LCD Display that recently began doing the
> following:
> 1. On startup, I get a faded, red-tinted, blinking display
> 2. After a while, it fades to almost black (very faint image tho..)
> 3. Played with the contrast, and position of LCD to rule out
> any sort of mechanical issues
> 4. Any standar monitor plugged into computer works great, ruling out
> the video card.
>
> My question is, can I assume my LCD is hosed or is it another problem?
> If it's a bad LCD, and I have some decent computer hardware
> experience, will it be simple enough to replace (let's say with an
> eBay replacement..)
>
> I love the laptop.. absolutely a well built machine. Can't give it up
> yet! :)
>
> Thanks,
> -Thom

Hi Thom,
I have a 600E and had the same problem several months ago. Took it
into an authorized IBM repair facility. They diagnosed the problem
as a bad inverter and contacted IBM for a replacement. They installed
the new inverter and it didn't help. Except now the screen flickered
on and off. They contacted IBM and IBM said the replacement inverter
was bad so they shipped off another one. After it was installed, the
problem was still present - screen flickering on and off. IBM was
contacted and they indicated that the LCD was bad. A new one would cost
somewhere in the neighborhood of $600. Ouch! I brought my 600E home
and started scouring EBay for a LCD. Finally won one for just under
$90 (the whole lid assembly). As a retired electronics technician I
knew I could replace the unit with no problems but figuring out how to
get at the various screws etc. would take some detailed instructions.
Thanks to IBM's wonderful support info available online, I breezed
through the replacement with no problems whatsoever. At completion
I powered up the machine and breathed a sigh of relief when I saw
the screen display my desktop with full brightness and no flickering!
The best of luck to you in solving your problem.
Ted/
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 3, 2004 11:01:10 PM

Aye Captain,

You've helped me come up to speed with LCD hardware. Well, I did
check out eBay, but only found Inverters for sale, no CCFT's.

Hmm.. what I'm thinking of doing is replacing both inverter and tube.
Would you have any idea how I can get the specific part #'s for my
600E?

Are they labelled somehow on the original parts? Or is there a
standard for that series...?

Plus, one more question... would you recommend an online store that
stocks these parts new?

Thanks for the help!

-Thom

"Capt. Wild Bill Kelso, USAAC" <Dec7.1941@cableaz.com> wrote in message news:<409531AE.3C51DCB9@cableaz.com>...
> Thom,
>
> It's the florescent tube. As it ages the gas turns pink/red. It's not a - very
> - difficult fix, and certainly not expensive. Tube will cost $25-35 on eBay. A
> shop will always talk you into buying a new screen. Dont let them. I used to
> get a new screen for the laptops I bought that had a red tint, now I just
> replace the tube. Saves a LOT of $$.
>
> email for instructions... not difficult, just a little involved...
> remove the Dec7. from the address.
>
> TJ

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 3, 2004 11:04:56 PM

> Hi Thom,
> I have a 600E and had the same problem several months ago. Took it
> into an authorized IBM repair facility. They diagnosed the problem
> as a bad inverter and contacted IBM for a replacement. They installed
> the new inverter and it didn't help. Except now the screen flickered
> on and off. They contacted IBM and IBM said the replacement inverter
> was bad so they shipped off another one. After it was installed, the
> problem was still present - screen flickering on and off. IBM was
> contacted and they indicated that the LCD was bad. A new one would cost
> somewhere in the neighborhood of $600. Ouch! I brought my 600E home
> and started scouring EBay for a LCD. Finally won one for just under
> $90 (the whole lid assembly). As a retired electronics technician I
> knew I could replace the unit with no problems but figuring out how to
> get at the various screws etc. would take some detailed instructions.
> Thanks to IBM's wonderful support info available online, I breezed
> through the replacement with no problems whatsoever. At completion
> I powered up the machine and breathed a sigh of relief when I saw
> the screen display my desktop with full brightness and no flickering!
> The best of luck to you in solving your problem.
> Ted/

Hi Ted,

Thanks for the heads up! You mention the online help... was this from
the ibm.com website? I tried going to it today and found some generic
instructions on how to replace the harddrive, memory, and battery, but
nothing detailed as removing the power inverter or CCFT.

Thanks,
-Thom
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 4, 2004 4:25:18 AM

Just a mere $100 more than do it yourself. What a bargain.

On 3 May 2004 05:44:42 -0700, wesleyf@portablecomputer.com (Wesley)
wrote:

>We repair LCD for a flat rate charge of $195.
>
>http://www.portablecomputer.com/repair/lcdrepair.asp
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 4, 2004 10:44:59 AM

Hi Ted,

I dug around the message boards and found the keywords to search on
the IBM website. Apparently it's as easy as "thinkpad 600 hmm" HMM
meaning hardware maintenance manual...

Pretty good document I must say! :)
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 4, 2004 10:47:40 AM

Thom Moore wrote:
>>Hi Thom,
>>I have a 600E and had the same problem several months ago. Took it
>>into an authorized IBM repair facility. They diagnosed the problem
>>as a bad inverter and contacted IBM for a replacement. They installed
>>the new inverter and it didn't help. Except now the screen flickered
>>on and off. They contacted IBM and IBM said the replacement inverter
>>was bad so they shipped off another one. After it was installed, the
>>problem was still present - screen flickering on and off. IBM was
>>contacted and they indicated that the LCD was bad. A new one would cost
>>somewhere in the neighborhood of $600. Ouch! I brought my 600E home
>>and started scouring EBay for a LCD. Finally won one for just under
>>$90 (the whole lid assembly). As a retired electronics technician I
>>knew I could replace the unit with no problems but figuring out how to
>>get at the various screws etc. would take some detailed instructions.
>>Thanks to IBM's wonderful support info available online, I breezed
>>through the replacement with no problems whatsoever. At completion
>>I powered up the machine and breathed a sigh of relief when I saw
>>the screen display my desktop with full brightness and no flickering!
>>The best of luck to you in solving your problem.
>>Ted/
>

> Hi Ted,
>
> Thanks for the heads up! You mention the online help... was this from
> the ibm.com website? I tried going to it today and found some generic
> instructions on how to replace the harddrive, memory, and battery, but
> nothing detailed as removing the power inverter or CCFT.
>
> Thanks,
> -Thom

Hi Thom,
The instructions I used came from the ThinkPad 600/600E (2645)
Hardware Maintenance Manual, IBM S10L-9619-03 June 1999. It is
available for downloading in .pdf format on IBMs website.
Regards,
Ted/
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 4, 2004 5:57:47 PM

Wesley wrote:

> We repair LCD for a flat rate charge of $195.

HARHARHARHARHARHARHAR!!!! And you sleep at night??? This can turn into a
bidding war! I can replace that LCD for $125!

TJ

> http://www.portablecomputer.com/repair/lcdrepair.asp

Pilots track their lives by the number of hours in the air,
as if any other time isn't worth noting....
Michael Rarfit
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 4, 2004 6:16:10 PM

Thom,

Here's one guy that sells(a lot) of CCFL..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3460...

there is only a penny between bid price and BuyItNow price, so I'd hit the BIN
button. There are several other CCFL sellers but not on eBay. If you do a CCFL
search in google or others, you'll find them. This guy, T-pad Plus, is in NC,
and gets his parts from IBM. There are some folks here that think he should be
avoided. I havent bought from him, but his feedback rating is better than a lot
of others.

TJ

!