Asrock P55 Extreme Delayed start up

thursdaysrgreat

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2010
I just built a rig using an Asrock p55 Extreme. Everything works great except for one issue that drives me nuts. Whenever I shut the system down completely and I decide to power it on again later I press the pwr sw and it takes exactly 5 secs from then to start spinning the fans. I've tried just about everything including switching out my PSU changing sw positioning updating bios using only one stick of ram and nothing seems to work. Like I mentioned the computer works fine with the exception of the delayed power up. I wanted to make sure that this isn't a normal function of an Eup board before I decide to rma the thing. My system specs are:

Antec 900
ASRock p55 Extreme
Intel Core i5 - 750
G.Skill 2x2gb 1300 DDR3
850w Corsair PSU

dsnooks70

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2010
He is talking about pressing the power button and then sitting around for 5 seconds watching paint dry. I have a similar (but less lengthy) issue with a P5Q SE system. Only have to wait about 2 seconds for a response.
From what he posted, I don't think he has any RAM problems ... he was simply trying different RAM configs to troubleshoot the power on delay. I have never worried about fixing the slow power on response, not a big deal as it is only a couple seconds for me.

winglerw28

Distinguished
May 23, 2009
I have the same board, and I have to wait about 5s-7s after the button, I figured that was normal. If it isn't, then I'm kind of upset, but it's not like I can't wait a whole 5s.

I have 4 sticks of G.Skill DDR3-1600 ram,
Corsair 750TX PSU,
Core i5 750,
ASRock P55 Extreme,
Radeon HD 5850 GPU

thursdaysrgreat

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2010

Yeah thats exactly what I'm talking about. I ended up RMAing the motherboard and the new one does the exact same thing. I've troubleshot everything I could think of that would affect this but it doesn't seem that any one component is responsible for the delayed start up. Maybe it is a normal function as suggested by winglerw28.

cerb3r

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2010
Hello. I have the same problem with my p55 extreme asrock board. The first 2 days worked perfectly today i have a 3-5 sec delay at startup. I sended a mail to asrock and i am waiting for a reply. My only concern is that other components might be at risck. If someone could tell me if that could hapen or not i will be eternely gratefull. PS Sorry for my english.

dsnooks70

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2010
I find that the delay is worse if I unplug the power cord. In such cases the system spins up, shuts down and then starts again all on it's own (demon computer !!!) Honestly it seems to be something to do with the chipset (given the range of boards involved) Mine is:
P5Q-SE rev. 1.02G
E8200
2X2GB Corsair Dominator 1066
BFG 9800GTX OCX 512MB
Enermax FMAII EG565P-VE

thursdaysrgreat

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2010
I've read that the multiple booting is a normal function of some p45+ motherboards as way of checking the stability of overclocked hardware. However, I can't seem to find any info on delayed booting being normal. My system is completely stable and I've removed and reseated everything. I've even rma'd half of the setup. At this point I would be satisfied with the peace of mind that delayed booting is normal. Btw I appreciate the response dsnooks.