Sign in with
Your question

I7 860, best price/performance motherboard w/USB3.0&Sat6Gb?

Last response: in Motherboards
January 21, 2010 7:09:05 AM

Hello all, I was just wondering if the community could help in suggesting a motherboard for my i7 860.

Well, I've been looking at mainboards with the usb 3.0 and sata 6gb/s feature, and I was wondering if people could help me understand the limitations of the p55 boards, and which motherboard they would recommend in the 100-200 price range.

As I understand it, if I use sli/crossfire, then I can no longer user the usb 3.0&sata6 gb/s feature, and it goes back down to 2.0&3Gb/s
In another board, it seems like even with one video card, it brings the pci e slot down to x8 instead of x16 in order to use the feature as well.

I was just wondering if someone could help me understand the p55 limitations, and if there is a mainboard that I would at least be able to use a single gpu at the full pci-e slot at x16, while still having usb 3.0 & sata 6Gb/s.

Be gentle, I am fairly new. :) 

2 boards I've looked at so far are:
ASUS P7P55D-E
GIGABYTE GA-P55A-UD3P
(both are about $160)
January 21, 2010 6:37:39 PM

I've got this board ASUS P7P55D-E and from what I saw you have to either take some juice from your pcie 2.0 x16 line to power up your data transfert so if you plan at anytime tranfering your data at sata 3.0 speed and gaming at the same time you are screwed :) 
m
l
a b V Motherboard
January 22, 2010 2:15:16 AM

The P7P55D-E PRO and above motherboards have a PLX chip in them to give you more PCI-E lanes so your X8X8 CF/SLI isn't affected.

That would be the way to go at the moment, IMHO.

m
l
!