Sign in with
Your question

How many people actually use water cooling?

Last response: in Overclocking
September 5, 2011 6:06:31 PM

closed loop or custom, i have recently been looking at cpu coolers and with such a wide market i really don't know what the majority of custom pc builders use. please tell me

More about : people water cooling

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
September 5, 2011 6:43:30 PM

A: Not many. Most folks do not have a need for water cooling. Certainly the technology is where the AIO water coolers are now just approaching what a high end air cooler can achieve. For most water cooling folks, they wouldn't settle for anything less than their own setup. The custom setups however require some maintenance and if you are just getting your feet wet, I wouldn't recommend that route.

As far as custom PC builders go, I'll assume you are talking about individuals. The boutique vendors use AIO systems for the most part, because they don't want to deal with maintenance issues.

So I say if you really want to try water cooling, start with a small unit first and see how you like it. Please keep in mind that you will still need adequate case cooling. In fact the CPU fan is designed to also keep ram, chipset, VRM, and northbridge type chips cool as well. Water cooling doesn't do that, unless you add coolers for these things.

I remember back when top end motherboards would include fans for the chipsets for water cooling folks.
September 5, 2011 7:03:23 PM

im looking to build a pc in the near future and after research on cpu coolers the pre filled loops such as corsairs hydro series dont beat a lot of after market air coolers and just seem a waste of money
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
September 5, 2011 7:14:51 PM

hbriggs said:
im looking to build a pc in the near future and after research on cpu coolers the pre filled loops such as corsairs hydro series dont beat a lot of after market air coolers and just seem a waste of money

Same conclusion I have come to. Especially after my experience with an all-in-one cooler. The Coolit Domino ALC I used for about 6 months, then it went belly up. It was kinda loud and cooled about the same as my TRU 120. I did have slightly cooler core temps at idle, but it had no bearing on my overclocking.

Here's a link for quality air coolers to view:
www.frostytech.com

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
September 5, 2011 8:35:54 PM

Exactly. And even the premise that H2O coolers are quieter is rarely true as the fan speed for the radiator needs to be high to cool under load. You can compare air and H2O coolers at the link below.

http://www.frostytech.com/
a b à CPUs
a c 324 K Overclocking
September 9, 2011 2:17:11 PM

Most people don't because they don't know how to use watercooling effectively.

The 'watercooling' being discussed here are actually LCS all in one liquid coolers...and are by no means what real watercooling is about. They work on similar principles, but the results are nowhere near what an actual water loop can do.

There are a couple of very good beginner setups that we recommend that are very easy to install and maintenance isn't what people make it seem. You can go well over a year without having to drain your loop...I'm actually past 2 years or so and it still performs wonderful.

visit the stickies in my signature below and come drop us a line in the water cooling forum...you'll get our side of the story as well.

Tom's Watercooling forum
a c 95 à CPUs
a c 224 K Overclocking
September 9, 2011 3:47:03 PM

hbriggs said:

closed loop or custom, i have recently been looking at cpu coolers and with such a wide market i really don't know what the majority of custom pc builders use. please tell me

hbriggs said:

Seeing as how you are posting in the overclocking section, it should be safe to assume you'll be overclocking this new future build, if not, you're posting in the wrong section.

So overclocking wise for my input the platform you choose to build, is a very important missing information factor on just what type cooling solution you'll actually need, along with your projected overclocking goals.

You're asking for general information that may be 100% overkill to the platform you choose or 100% inadequate.

For me, I don't water cool for any reason other than to take my overclock to a 24/7 level I'm 100% satisfied with, and have the cooling for my hardware to last at those overclocked settings as long as possible, the cooler you daily keep it, the longer it will last.

So do you have any idea of what platform you're thinking about building, because the suggestions given to you should be taylored to target that platform.
a b à CPUs
a c 324 K Overclocking
September 9, 2011 3:58:53 PM

^Very true.

Without knowing what you are actually going to watercool and the intended use, desired result and actual budget, it's hard to say what the best solution for you is going to be. If you have less than $100 budget, stick with air. For under $150...the XSPC Rasa kits are what you want, nothing really else (including an LCS cooler). For more than that, custom will perform better as your budget allows.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
September 9, 2011 10:21:04 PM

For those with custom loops, what temp range are you trying stay within? Are you going for max OC and pushing high temps still? Or, are you trying to stay at optimal temps with a modest OC?
a b à CPUs
a c 324 K Overclocking
September 17, 2011 3:36:23 AM

To be perfectly honest, I do it almost entirely as a hobby. If you have a well designed loop, your delta-T should be within 10C over ambient...moderate is within 15C over ambient...extreme is within 5C of ambient. Overall, you'll see significantly lower load temps, even over a long period of time. For instance, my CPU and SLI GTX 260's run about 42C at load for hours...and we all know GPUs at load often run 65-80C depending on GPU and airflow.
a c 95 à CPUs
a c 224 K Overclocking
September 17, 2011 1:49:24 PM

vollman1 said:
For those with custom loops, what temp range are you trying stay within? Are you going for max OC and pushing high temps still? Or, are you trying to stay at optimal temps with a modest OC?

Temperature range is no longer a concern with the cooling solution I'm presently running, it allows me to go as far as I want clock wise or as long term 24/7 as I want, it's a far change from my first overclocking of my 2500K frustrated at the temps it got to reaching the higher multipliers.

So there in again temperature ranges are dependent on the platform being run and what the CPUs temperature range actually is.

And we still don't know what platform the OP is considering.
!