Sign in with
Your question

EVGA E758-A1 x58 + GTX 260 SSC in SLI

Last response: in Systems
July 28, 2009 8:47:41 PM

I was looking at this setup of having two eVGA GTX 260 SSC cards in SLI on the eVGA x58 and was wanting some opinions on this setup. They will be in an Antec 1200 case so room is not a problem.

Any suggestions or opinions on this?

Motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Video Card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Better Options?
July 28, 2009 9:40:05 PM

i was considering that build a month ago. The dell was selling the regular GTX260 216core for $130 shipped. I ended up getting a single GTX285. I did this because 1. I want it to be more future proof that later on when I SLI it up with GTX285, I'll have better performance. 2. I will soon be purchasing 30'' dell monitor. I did not want to risk having not enough GPU power to drive the monitor sufficiently.

So really, ask yourself what kind of game you'll be playing and in what resolution etc. I feel that most people should be ok with GTX260 SLI for awhile.

As for the Mobo and the Case, I ordered the same and all the rest of my components should be arriving tomorrow. :) 

good luck with your build.
July 28, 2009 10:29:15 PM

Thank you, if I wanted to update to 285's I was just going to do the step up program to get them :D 
Related resources
July 28, 2009 11:25:34 PM

This the best setup I have ever seen!!! :D  (read my signature.... I have the system you are wanting to build)

Save yourself some money and get the EVGA X58 LE MOBO. It is hard to beat the GTX 260's prices right now.
July 29, 2009 2:05:54 AM

tecmo34 said:
This the best setup I have ever seen!!! :D  (read my signature.... I have the system you are wanting to build)

Save yourself some money and get the EVGA X58 LE MOBO. It is hard to beat the GTX 260's prices right now.

I agree, the 285's are a waste of money...unless you have the cash to burn....

Dual 260's will obliterate a single 285.....

For the cash you spend one the best 285 you can get Tri-260's.......

" alt="" class="imgLz frmImg " />

now what do you prefer?
July 29, 2009 2:14:34 AM

OvrClkr said:
I agree, the 285's are a waste of money...unless you have the cash to burn....

Dual 260's will obliterate a single 285.....

For the cash you spend one the best 285 you can get Tri-260's.......

http://i683.photobucket.com/albums/vv199/OvrClkr/6FD59C3ABE254919A3AD50F8B4AB3ADE.jpg" alt="" class="imgLz frmImg " />

now what do you prefer?

Those three GTX 260's look sweet... I might look to add another one in my system if the prices continue to drop...
July 29, 2009 2:19:37 AM

yes please add that 3rd card......... would be nice to see those numbers.... [:jaydeejohn:5]
July 29, 2009 4:16:31 PM

What is the difference between the EVGA X58 LE MOBO and EVGA X58 E758-A1?

The warranty?
July 29, 2009 4:28:43 PM

The LE is Sli only while the A1 is both Sli and Xfire..... If you are going to Xfire in the future you should be looking @ other boards.... If you plan on Sli only then the LE is as good as they get.... The LE is a super stable board compared to others in that pricerange.....

Peronally I do NOT recommend the A1... the DOA rate is too high, specially taking in consideration that you will have to shell out 300.00$

To this date I have not heard of any common issues with the LE, btw don't pay attention to the negative reviews @ newegg under that board, just a couple of noobs that don't know a THING about x58 boards and they dock all eggs w/o doing proper research....
July 29, 2009 4:47:28 PM

Very nice, even the combo savings is better :D 
July 29, 2009 4:53:13 PM

tecmo38 can school you if you need any help with your new EVGA x58 board....brb... time to eat some lunch :o 
July 29, 2009 4:54:41 PM

tecmo34 said:
You have found the right motherboard... that is the LE... :D 

Actually with running SLI on this motherboard I just read it only comes with one x 16 PCIe slot (16X, 8X, 4X, 4X). Wont that drastically hurt the performance of SLI'n?

July 29, 2009 4:57:47 PM

jtmoney528 said:
Actually with running SLI on this motherboard I just read it only comes with one x 16 PCIe slot (16X, 8X, 4X, 4X). Wont that drastically hurt the performance of SLI'n?

You will not see any noticeable performance difference with an x16,x8 SLI setup... x8 is still enough bandwidth to allow the GPU to do it's "magic"...
July 29, 2009 5:06:54 PM

Yes Sir, most peeps that buy that board use 1 beefy video card as opposed to Sli...

I had that board paired with a GTX 275 and it was plenty fast. But i wanted to find a board that was made by EVGA and not spend 400.00$ on a Classified.... I decided to sell that PC to a friend and look for other options....As far as EVGA goes, i feel like I am stuck do to the fact that I do not use Ati cards ATM and want something like an LE but with Dual pci-e x16 slots.... IMO the LE is not the best SLI x58 mobo out due to this issue, but as far as for a single GPU solution it is the BEST ATM.... Just keep on looking at other boards till you find the one that has what you need... dont just buy cause it looks sweet....make sure it has what it takes to keep you happy..
July 29, 2009 5:14:03 PM

OvrClkr said:
Yes Sir, most peeps that buy that board use 1 beefy video card as opposed to Sli...

I had that board paired with a GTX 275 and it was plenty fast. But i wanted to find a board that was made by EVGA and not spend 400.00$ on a Classified.... I decided to sell that PC to a friend and look for other options....As far as EVGA goes, i feel like I am stuck do to the fact that I do not use Ati cards ATM and want something like an LE but with Dual pci-e x16 slots.... IMO the LE is not the best SLI x58 mobo out due to this issue, but as far as for a single GPU solution it is the BEST ATM.... Just keep on looking at other boards till you find the one that has what you need... dont just buy cause it looks sweet....make sure it has what it takes to keep you happy..

So what board do you suggest to run this:

3X2 Plat OCZ
Core i7
2 X GTX 260 SSC 216 Editions

I have been researching boards for awhile and just cannot find the right one.

If I go ahead and SLI I would want to get the full benefit from doing so.
July 29, 2009 5:39:47 PM

Well ATM you will have to take your chances and go with either the A1 or P6T Deluxe...

If I was buying a new X58 mobo (with your hardware specs) I guess I would go with the A1, but only due to the Sli option....taking in consideration that the dual 260's are EVGA cards....

July 29, 2009 5:44:28 PM

OvrClkr said:
Well ATM you will have to take your chances and go with either the A1 or P6T Deluxe...

If I was buying a new X58 mobo (with your hardware specs) I guess I would go with the A1, but only due to the Sli option....taking in consideration that the dual 260's are EVGA cards....

That is why I wanted to stay with EVGA boards because I was using EVGA cards.

Anyone else have any thoughts?

My budget is around 350 for a board.
July 29, 2009 8:21:11 PM

with $350 you'll have plenty of choices. I vote for A1. which is ~290
July 29, 2009 8:32:16 PM

tecmo34 said:
You will not see any noticeable performance difference with an x16,x8 SLI setup... x8 is still enough bandwidth to allow the GPU to do it's "magic"...

Thx for the info, as I did not have knowledge of this..... I always thought there was a difference... not a night and day diffrerence but a visible one.... [:jaydeejohn:5] +1
!