Is this a good airflow setup?

majikfx

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2009
Hi,
I'll be getting an Antec 300 case soon and this time I want a proper air cooling system. I have a Prolima Megahalem and I've made a diagram as to how I'll be setting up the fans. The middle bit is the Megahalem with two fans on either side going >|R|>. I'll also have a side fan but I'm not sure if I should make it exhaust or intake. Also the front has two 120MM fans exactly where the red lines go.
11awvh0.jpg

Suggestions will be much appreciated!

Thanks!

Solution
there is a reason that 90+% have the same basic set up, intake from front and sides. exhaust from rear and top.

as far as whats more important, exhuast is. if you only had one exhaust fan, it would still pull air into your case while expelling the hot exhaust. all this talk of positive air pressure inside your case is crazy.

in the end, its your case/set up, so what you want. but if you dont exhaust out the rear and top, you will more than likely over heat, and be back on here asking what you did wrong.

beenthere

Distinguished
What you are suggesting is backwards from the normal flow pattern. The side fan often blows cool air inward but the only way to tell what works best is to test both ways.

EDIT: Front in and back, top out is the normal airflow pattern.

4745454b

Titan
As k1114 alluded to, you have it backwards. Front fans by the drives intake while the top and back fans exhaust. Remember that hot air rises so it WANTS to go to the top of the case. You're going to have a heck of a time convincing it to go out the front. (blowing on you as well???)

majikfx

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2009
So then I'll change it to.
TOP OF CASE
^
BACK OF CASE <|R|< FRONT OF CASE

I have one last question. Is it better to have stronger fans for intake or exhaust if I had to choose between the two?

mahdhatre

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2011
"I have one last question. Is it better to have stronger fans for intake or exhaust if I had to choose between the two?"

I read an article on Anandtech or Tom's (don't remember exactly) a while back that rated several different airflow setups. The most efficient was ONE rear exhaust and ONE top exhaust. I almost couldn't believe that they didn't have any intake fans, but hey, numbers don't lie. So I would go with stronger exhaust.

mahdhatre

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2011
Do my homework, eh? I am simply posting conclusions from a previous study regarding their findings of 6 different airflow setups. If you want to refute those claims, fine. But don't assume I will put up with your insults. I'll look around and see if I can find the article.

beenthere

Distinguished
As noted front air in, back and top air out. I thought that was what you showed in the photo but the right side is chopped off on my screen. I see now that you were using the blue/red to imply cool/hot airflow. So yes the photo is backwards to what you want.

Testing will tell you if the side fan is good or bad and what direction it should point if good.

As far as fans and pressure differential are concerned you want air FLOW across the CPU HSF and Vid card. I'd buy quality, quiet fans and let them do their job. You can even add plastic air deflectors to direct the cool incoming air towards the HSF if need be.

People will never agree on the best airflow pattern, CPU, heatsink or much of anything else. The idea is to obtain proper cooling and the most efficient possible within reason.

Mrthorp

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
there is a reason that 90+% have the same basic set up, intake from front and sides. exhaust from rear and top.

as far as whats more important, exhuast is. if you only had one exhaust fan, it would still pull air into your case while expelling the hot exhaust. all this talk of positive air pressure inside your case is crazy.

in the end, its your case/set up, so what you want. but if you dont exhaust out the rear and top, you will more than likely over heat, and be back on here asking what you did wrong.

Solution