What does "slots" me on GPU's?

Beresford

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2011
Hello,

This is probably a really stupid question but I know that some GTX's require 2-slots, 2.5 slots and others have 3. I know the Asus GTX 570 Direct II needs 3-slots.

What does this mean, what type of slots? Is this how much slots it takes up on the motherboard?

If so, then what do I look for on a motherboard to see if I have enough space for a particular GPU and if I am able to go SLI?

I want to get Asus GTX 570 Direct II (3-slot, apparently great for OC and CHEAP!) and I am getting a Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3P Z68 Motherboard can I go SLI if I want in a years time?

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Beresford

AdrianPerry

Distinguished
Basically the slots relate to the gap between the PCI lanes on a motherboard.

On an ATX you have something like this:

---- (PCIe x1)
-------------- (PCIe x16)
---- (PCIe x1)
---- (PCIe x1)
-------------- (PCIe x16)

So basically if you connect a GPU (which will most likely use a PCIe x16 slot), you place it in the top one and then theres a 3 slot gap untill the next PCIe x16 slot.

The bigger the GPU (the bigger the cooling fans ect on top of the card) the ticker it will be and the more slots it will cover.

With the Gigabyte board you should be able to use the top and middle slot without much problem. There's 3 gap slots between the first x16 slot and the second x16 slot.

So it goes;
x16
GAP
x1
GAP
x1
GAP
x16

= 3 slot gap :)

Hope that explains it :p

monkeysweat

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
it means how thick the video card is and how many pci slots it will use/block,, so if you are going with a 2.5/3 slot card AND you want to SLi/Xfire later, you will need to ensure that there are 2 empty slots between your x16 slots,, if you only have one empty slot between the x16 slots, you need to go with a 2 slot card,, even then,, you may want to stick with the 2 slot card if you have the room for 3 just for the added benefit of airflow,,, when you start filling your case your airflow takes priority on your setup.

Beresford

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2011

Brilliant explanation, helped a lot! Tried to make this the 'best answer' but couldn't find the option. :D

AdrianPerry

Distinguished
Glad it worked :D I was quite impressed myself with the finished product :)

You may have created the thread as discussion rather than question which is why you cant select a best answer but dont worry :)

Glad i could help (Y)