Sign in with
Your question

BitLocker = FAIL

Last response: in Storage
May 1, 2011 10:28:44 PM

Have a 2tb external drive encrypted with BitLocker encryption. Now that I have a dual-boot on my primary, I decided to decrypt the drive (which would take about 3 days with the amount of data on it). Started it last night, woke up this morning and apparently while I slept, a friend had come into my room to give me a few smokes and may have just barely grazed the power cord, now the power cord is EXTREMELY sensitive, when I awoke the decryption window was gone and the drive was off. I turned it on, nothing showed up in My Computer, I turned it off; then back on, nothing. I rebooted, still, nothing. I ran bderepair with the -nov -rp and -f commands and nothing.

When I go into BitLocker Management, it locks up.
When I go into Storage Manager, it locks up.
When I use CMD to repair, it locks up.
When I go into anything relating to the drive, they all lock up.

Now, of course, when I power off the drive, it shows up (albeit briefly) in My Computer and then *POOF* it's gone.
All other tasks mentioned above also start responding again when the drive is powered off too.

Any ideas, or have I lost 1.4tb and I'm S.O.L.

:( 

More about : bitlocker fail

a b G Storage
May 1, 2011 10:44:18 PM

It sounds like you may well have lost your data but only careful research can confirm this. For your Encryption needs in the future use Truecrypt. It is free, versatile and can be used on any PC within reason. It stays independent of the OS.
m
l
May 1, 2011 10:48:25 PM

Okay, if such is the case I am unaware of how to research the issue, every avenue I have tried thus far is like the computer is laughing at me saying nope, you can't recover the drive. If all is lost, then how do I at least get it formatted and ditch the decryption?
m
l
Related resources
a b G Storage
May 2, 2011 12:18:45 AM

Looks like he might have not just pulled the plug out, but dropped the entire drive. Does it make a clicking noise?
m
l
May 2, 2011 12:21:00 AM

barely grazed = you unplugged the drive while it was decrypting

Don't blame the technology. Blame your smoking habit, or clumsy friends. Or shitty hardware. But the Bitlocker technology is just fine.
m
l
May 3, 2011 8:32:30 AM

Hey guys (and gals)! ~

First off, a big thanks to everyone who's helped so far! I wish I could say that the issue has been resolved but I find myself quite unfamiliar with BitLocker. I could help those on this forum with a plethora of issues that they are having (which I think I will do exactly that while I wait for a solution to this ordeal) but I can't seem to get my finger past this conundrum just yet.

Hmm... If anything; I have learned, never try your hand at anything you do not understand. In this case, I did not understand BitLocker, but I encrypted my drive anyways, a bit of a foul on my part.

Nevertheless, I booted into XP and the drive shows up and everything seems to check out fine without locking up but the drive shows up as RAW unnallocated space... oops :-O

So, in XP there isn't much I can do, I did try copying manage-bde.exe over to run in command prompt, but it does not appear to be backwards compatible with anything prior to Vista it seems.

As far as Win7, it hasn't been locking things up but it doesn't show up anywhere at all except in the Device Manager.

Any tips at this point? I'm patient enough that I can wait out the storm if it means I can recover the partition or recover the data on it somehow.
m
l
a c 372 G Storage
May 3, 2011 12:05:12 PM

dbrown1986 said:

As far as Win7, it hasn't been locking things up but it doesn't show up anywhere at all except in the Device Manager.

Does it show up in "disk management"? If so, you may be able to initialize it from there or at the very least, assign it a drive letter at which point it should show up within windows.
m
l
May 3, 2011 1:30:40 PM

@Hawkeye22

It only shows up in win7 when the drive has been connected during startup, in which it has a drive letter, but it says RAW and CMD manage-bde just hangs.
m
l
a c 372 G Storage
May 3, 2011 2:22:10 PM

Well, if you've given up on trying to get the data off of it and it's showing up as raw, you should be able to initialize it through disk management.

And sorry, but I'm not sure what you are referring to when you say "CMD manage-bde".
m
l
a c 103 G Storage
May 3, 2011 2:34:26 PM

Encryption is a very tricky thing, at times it causes more issues than it solves. Unless you are using it to store top secret data or running a business and need to safeguard information, not worth using it.

Forget a password, drive error occurs, someone unplugs the drive while it's encrypting/decrypting, data is gone. I run into this all the time, in the hospital and other industries we are required by law to encrypt anything that may have patient data. Which means all of the laptops are encrypted, flash drives, etc... And due to this I have had people lose data that they did not backup becasue a drive failed, and even though it may be technically recoverable, there was no way to decrupt it to read it properly.
m
l
a b G Storage
May 3, 2011 10:39:19 PM

"Hmm... If anything; I have learned, never try your hand at anything you do not understand. In this case, I did not understand BitLocker, but I encrypted my drive anyways, a bit of a foul on my part."

As with all data, back it up. Encryption is great. Back it up.
m
l
May 7, 2011 10:55:37 AM

Okay I'm scratching my head at this point, I've got a local who will look at it and tell me if the data is recoverable, the examination is free; but he charges the price of a whole new drive (I could buy another 2tb for the money he wants), not to mention; how do I know the files he recovers are going to be readable, I'm skeptical at this point and pulling out hairs, does anyone else have any pointers at this time or should I just say F**K IT and re-format the drive?
m
l
a b G Storage
May 7, 2011 5:32:04 PM

you can have him verify the files with you before you pay.
m
l
!