Really general question to the people most knowledgeable.

lrh9

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2009
I'm upgrading my system so much that you might as well call it a new build. However, I'm not upgrading my hard disk. I'm wondering if I'll be able to boot using the operating system currently installed on the hard disk or if I'll need to obtain a new OS? Thank you in advance.

If it is XP and you have the disc originally used to install it(recovery discs dont count) then you can repair the installation and it will work, if not then no you will need to install a new OS, currently you can get vista 64 bit home premium with a windows 7 upgrade coupon for $110 on newegg.

lrh9

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2009
OK. I don't have the original disk. It was a prefab computer. Spending money on the OS is not an option because my entire budget is on hardware atm. I'm betting my best option at this point is to download the free Windows 7 RC, put it on disk, and use that. I'll have to pay later though.

Use the format at the top of the forum and post your build, im sure we can trim some fat and fit an OS into the budget, just remember that the RC is only good until next summer and you are going to have to do a clean install and cant upgrade from it to real windows 7.