Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

First time builder Gaming PC.

Last response: in Systems
Share
July 29, 2009 5:27:57 AM

Hi, This will be my first time building a computer so any advice/input would be greatly appreciated.

Build Date: No rush
Budget ~$2000.00

BYO (using solely new egg components)

CPU: Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor 279.99$ ( I went with i7 to future proof my system more as from what I can tell, its the hardest component to upgrade.)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

OS: win vista home premium w/ win 7 upgrade (Don't really want to have an OS that will cause problems/compatibity issues, I read many bad reviews about ultimate and don't know about win 7. 109.99$

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

motherboard: ASUS P6T LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard 239.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

RAM: OCZ Platinum 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 114.99$

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

PSU: CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX 850W ATX12V 2.2 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Active PFC Power Supply 76.99$ ( will be overclocking once I learn how :) .

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


GPU: BFG Tech BFGEGTX2851024OC2BE GeForce GTX 285 1GB 512-bit 354.99$ (is the Corsair 750w PSU sufficient to overclock and, if i decide to later, go SLI with a second GTX 285 video card? )

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Harddrive: Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive 74.99$

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

CASE: XCLIO Windtunnel Fully Black Finish 1.0 mm SECC Chassis ATX Full Tower Computer Case 79.99$

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

DVD/CD:SAMSUNG Black 22X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA DVD Burner 26.99$

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Mouse: Razer Gaming mouse 49.99$

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Keyboard: Razer gaming keyboard 68.98

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

XIGMATEK Dark Knight-S1283V 120mm Long Life Bearing CPU Cooler ( rockyjohn reccomended this, I'm guessing it goes directly over the cpu? To better keep it from overheating?)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


Noctua NT-H1 Thermal Compound - Retail $9.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Tuniq TR-1 High Performance Thermal Material Remover – Retail $6.99 ($1.99 after $5.00 Mail-In Rebate) Free Shipping*
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Creative Inspire T3100 2.1 2-way Speakers - Retail $49.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Total: $1,900.85 (BYO)

edit - found a decent monitor I like. After doing a lot of research and still looking through many articles it really has pushed me into building my own pc. My excitement rose after creating a wish list on newegg. And thinking about the knowledge and experience I will gain.

Monitor: ASUS VK266H Black 25.5" 2ms 329.99 (before rebates)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Again any input on an upgrade that would be well worth it or even cheaper would be greatly appreciated or any comments at all. :)  Thanks

More about : time builder gaming

July 29, 2009 5:41:14 AM

For $10 more you can buy vista 64 with a free upgrade to windows 7 thats going to replace it in just a couple of months
July 29, 2009 5:44:55 AM

Outlander_04 said:
For $10 more you can buy vista 64 with a free upgrade to windows 7 thats going to replace it in just a couple of months

Ah I see but, don't you think win 7 would be a bad choice for compatability issues/problems which from what I'm told comes with a new os?
Related resources
July 29, 2009 5:49:57 AM

natenug said:
Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought that the item on my list is vista 64-bit?


You are correct . it is vista 64 bit


But what you may not know is that vista is not Microsofts best work . Actually its rubbish and now , since it proved deeply unpopular with business users , gamers , and any one with a brain its about to be replaced
By an OS microsoft call WINDOWS 7

Windows 7 is fundamentally better than Vista.

If you buy vista 64 now for $99 then you may have to pay full price for W7 later if you want to upgrade

OR
you could pay $109 for Vista with an upgrade couple that you can exchange for windows 7 in october

EDIT : MS's big secret is that under the hood W7 is Vista . All they did was peel off the crappy bodywork and bring it up to date . Vista drivers work for W7 , and W7 can even run XP in a VM so you can run all the things that vista had compatibility issues with
[ yet another reason business users hated vista ]
July 29, 2009 5:52:21 AM

Ah okay, I did hear many bad reviews about VISTA. Which why I never got it when i purchased my laptop and stuck with win XP. But I figured it got better since then from your comment I'll assume not, haha. I guess i'll take my chances with the win 7.
July 29, 2009 6:04:34 AM

natenug said:
Ah okay, I did hear many bad reviews about VISTA. Which why I never got it when i purchased my laptop and stuck with win XP. But I figured it got better since then from your comment I'll assume not, haha. I guess i'll take my chances with the win 7.


a 12 year old fanboy will be along shortly to flame me for my comments about his beloved vista thats the best [ and only ] OS he has ever used .

W7 is better in a couple of very fundamental ways . Most of the DRM stuff is gone , and memory is handled a different way . Lots of people are using the Release Candidate which is a free download and finding substantial improvements in gaming , and complete stability too.
There less intrusions by the UAC too so you dont have to keep explaining to your computer that" YES I really did want to do that , so shut up and get back to work "

July 29, 2009 6:32:17 AM

Windows7 is a good OS, many of the screwups that MS had with Vista are fixed in W7, i have the Windows7 RC in 2 different builds and have had minimal problems with it. Go with a SATA DVD burner, you have an IDE listed. If you can spend another $20 for a Western Digital 640 GB Caviar black hard drive. A good idea to build your own, you'll get better price/performance with higher quality components and the understanding it gives you on how your system works is invaluable into the future.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
July 29, 2009 6:41:55 AM

dirtmountain said:
Windows7 is a good OS, many of the screwups that MS had with Vista are fixed in W7, i have the Windows7 RC in 2 different builds and have had minimal problems with it. Go with a SATA DVD burner, you have an IDE listed. If you can spend another $20 for a Western Digital 640 GB Caviar black hard drive. A good idea to build your own, you'll get better price/performance with higher quality components and the understanding it gives you on how your system works is invaluable into the future.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


Had no idea what the difference between sata and IDE was until I looked it up. Thanks.

If anyone has suggestions or comments about my ram please say so. I was told OCZ was a good brand but I know nothing of speeds or specs of certain rams besides the obvious capacity.
July 29, 2009 4:55:01 PM

Thanks first combo saved a nice chunk. Will I need thermal paste for OCing in the future? and any thing extra for cooling?
July 29, 2009 5:21:04 PM

Natenug - don't forget to get speakers. Builds here usually don't address this component, I only mention it since you include all the other items - such as keyboard, mouse, and monitor - and only the speakers are missing. Of course, you might be planning to use a set you already have.

Also another key question is the Corsair 750w PSU sufficient to overclock and, if he decides to later, to SLI a second GTX 285 video card?
July 29, 2009 5:47:31 PM

rockyjohn said:
Natenug - don't forget to get speakers. Builds here usually don't address this component, I only mention it since you include all the other items - such as keyboard, mouse, and monitor - and only the speakers are missing. Of course, you might be planning to use a set you already have.

Also another key question is the Corsair 750w PSU sufficient to overclock and, if he decides to later, to SLI a second GTX 285 video card?


Yea, I noticed that just before you replied thanks. I could use my old ones but they are pretty bad. I will go with these.

Creative Inspire T3100 2.1 2-way Speakers 49.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Thanks -rocky I forgot to ask that.
Is there anything else I maybe missing? Any need for extra fans or some other type of cooling??
July 29, 2009 5:58:47 PM

You can save quite a bit by getting a GTX275 and OCing it to GTX285 levels, or you can spend 100 more and SLI them from the start and have more graphics power than a GTX295.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Also, maybe its just me, but i have a fundamental issue with paying as much for your mouse as you are for your speakers, do you really need to spend 120 on your mouse and keyboard? Will it really make that much of a difference or would it be more useful if it was spent on better sound quality?
July 29, 2009 6:02:50 PM

natenug said:
Thanks first combo saved a nice chunk. Will I need thermal paste for OCing in the future? and any thing extra for cooling?

Would get this Thermal Comound and Thermal Compound Cleaner from NewEgg.

Noctua NT-H1 Thermal Compound - Retail $9.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Tuniq TR-1 High Performance Thermal Material Remover – Retail $6.99 ($1.99 after $5.00 Mail-In Rebate) Free Shipping*
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
July 29, 2009 6:10:11 PM

hunter315 said:
You can save quite a bit by getting a GTX275 and OCing it to GTX285 levels, or you can spend 100 more and SLI them from the start and have more graphics power than a GTX295.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Also, maybe its just me, but i have a fundamental issue with paying as much for your mouse as you are for your speakers, do you really need to spend 120 on your mouse and keyboard? Will it really make that much of a difference or would it be more useful if it was spent on better sound quality?


-yosty ... Thanks will get those items.

-hunter
Valid points it was just something I've wanted for awhile and currently using very cheap mouse/keyboard/speaker combo i figured i'd enjoy a bit better quality items. I'll take your advice into consideration, What speaker system would you recommend?

The card plan sounds nice but i'd rather sli 285's for a more future proof system. Not sure if that makes sense but I figured a single 285 will last me till next year in which point i'll get another which will last me another 2-3 years with OCing? This is all speculation though I don't know the rate that GPU's increase per game requirements. Although I will take this into consideration as well.

Does anyone know if the PSU selected is sufficient enough to go SLI with gtx 285's?
July 30, 2009 5:15:39 AM

Yoosty said:
The Corsair 750w might be pushing its limit for 285GTX SLI, so for another $10.00 you could move up to this one by Corsair.

CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX 850W $139.99 ($119.99 after $20.00 Mail-In Rebate Card) Free Shipping*
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


I was thinking about switching to a different harddrive a lot less space but a lot faster. Maybe getting another harddrive in the future for more space. Question - Does having 2 harddrives of different brand/model work with another?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Thanks will do. Any other considerations? or does this look complete.
July 30, 2009 6:57:14 AM

Just a caution, many deals/offers will end on the last day of the month.
July 30, 2009 7:12:37 AM

Having 2 different hard drives is no problem at all as long as you don't intend to run them in tandem in RAID mode - just having the velociraptor will make your hard drive faster than most others. I assume you are thinking about the velociraptor for your hard drive and applications and maybe data for now then adding another for data later.

On the plus side, the HD is generally considered one of the slower components in the systemm thus warranting some consideration for upgrading, On the negative side, they are sometimes noisy, which is the primary reason I don't have one. However there seems to be considerable disagreement on this issue. Even if you look at the customer reviews on newegg, you while see a wide variety of noice comments from quiet or barely noticeable to noisy.

To answer an earlier question, there should be no need for extra fans with the case you have. Down the road when you are overclocking and have another video card you will want to watch temperatures and maybe consider adding another case fan - you will see the place where you can easily add one if and when necessary.

I think you have everything you need and are good to go on a great system.

There is one thing - and this is just speculation - but given the large size of the case - it is possible that some internal connectors - for instance on the power supply - might not reach the socket. You might just google a few reviews on the case and see if they note anything. The longer reviews - where they go 5 or more pages - will certainly note if there are any problems like that. Anyone out there with this case that can answer this?
July 30, 2009 8:33:07 AM

rockyjohn said:
Having 2 different hard drives is no problem at all as long as you don't intend to run them in tandem in RAID mode - just having the velociraptor will make your hard drive faster than most others. I assume you are thinking about the velociraptor for your hard drive and applications and maybe data for now then adding another for data later.

On the plus side, the HD is generally considered one of the slower components in the systemm thus warranting some consideration for upgrading, On the negative side, they are sometimes noisy, which is the primary reason I don't have one. However there seems to be considerable disagreement on this issue. Even if you look at the customer reviews on newegg, you while see a wide variety of noice comments from quiet or barely noticeable to noisy.

To answer an earlier question, there should be no need for extra fans with the case you have. Down the road when you are overclocking and have another video card you will want to watch temperatures and maybe consider adding another case fan - you will see the place where you can easily add one if and when necessary.

I think you have everything you need and are good to go on a great system.

There is one thing - and this is just speculation - but given the large size of the case - it is possible that some internal connectors - for instance on the power supply - might not reach the socket. You might just google a few reviews on the case and see if they note anything. The longer reviews - where they go 5 or more pages - will certainly note if there are any problems like that. Anyone out there with this case that can answer this?


Ah thanks will do. The reason I stuck with the case is because I figured it would be easier to build a first pc with lots of room and wouldn't hurt airflow. I would of thought they would always be longer than they should be?

-dirt mountain Oh, Thanks for noticing that the combo deals end. I probably won't start buying until next month anyway as I am in no hurry and assuming there will be different combo's for next week.
July 30, 2009 9:08:36 AM

Quote:
Building or assembling a PC with your own preferences is fine but you should take care of installing the compatible components. There are a number of good sites that you can search for help.

Regards,
Ztronics.com


um ok? was that just a random ad?
July 30, 2009 3:15:48 PM

some notes:

1) I had creative T series but what I found is they usually lack the bass, so if you play games and want the umf in the sound these won't be what you want.
2) For LCD monitor research up TN versus Non TN (E-IPS, P-MVA etc) screens. What you find may change your mind about your selection.

A short round up for you:

TN
Faster Response Time
Usually cheaper

Non TN
Generally have slower response time, but there are some that have decent timing
Much better viewing angle
Much better color production
Usually a bit more expensive

I had a non TN went to a TN panel and at first hand I thought the TN panel is broken since the color is so bad when I first made the switch. In addition when I slouch in my seat watching a movie on a TN panel, the viewing angle kills it and i have to adjust my screen so it points down a little.
July 30, 2009 7:33:16 PM

wgdz said:
some notes:

1) I had creative T series but what I found is they usually lack the bass, so if you play games and want the umf in the sound these won't be what you want.
2) For LCD monitor research up TN versus Non TN (E-IPS, P-MVA etc) screens. What you find may change your mind about your selection.

A short round up for you:

TN
Faster Response Time
Usually cheaper

Non TN
Generally have slower response time, but there are some that have decent timing
Much better viewing angle
Much better color production
Usually a bit more expensive

I had a non TN went to a TN panel and at first hand I thought the TN panel is broken since the color is so bad when I first made the switch. In addition when I slouch in my seat watching a movie on a TN panel, the viewing angle kills it and i have to adjust my screen so it points down a little.



thanks taking your comment into consideration I decided to switch to this monitor 170 degrees viewing is non TN correct? I went to the manfuc site, but couldn't find anywhere what panel it uses and with a 2ms seems to good?



LG L227WTG-PF Black 22" 2ms Widescreen LCD Monitor - Retail 299.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

and going with these speakers instead

Logitech Z-4 40 watts 2.1 Speaker - Retail

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Note- If nothing else comes up I may start purchasing these items tomorrow to get the deals as I don't see anything else. So feel free to comment before then :) 
July 30, 2009 10:11:16 PM

I did not say anything about monitors before because the one you selected with the IPS panel was rated as an excellent all around monitor - including reasonable for gaming.

TFTcentral is an excellent place learn a little about monitors and monitor selections. It also has a review of an LG L2227WT monitor (I am not sure what the abscence of the "G-PG" on the end means - it may or may not be significant - you might compare the specs from the newegg listing with those on the review) and a review of your previous one.

Here is the review of the one - maybe yours - as noted above

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/lg_l227wt.htm

One comment - I see it has a 1680x1050 resolution - given the quality range you are in with the rest of the system - you might want to look for a monitor with the "full" resolution of 1920x1080 - essenttially the same as 1080i for TVs with the 16:9 aspect ratio. Your prior selection was 1920x1200 - which is OK - it would still play the 1920x1080 with slight banding and is basically an "older" standard for large monitors. I believe the 1920x1080 is available in a few 22 inch monitors but found more often in 23" and larger monitors.

You might also just google for reviews on the monitor, if you have not already done so. It is usually very informative and you might want to get in the habit of doing this for major new upgrade components. At first you will have to sort through a little chaf - the returned listings for "reviews" that really are little more than sales listings or customer reviews. But you will quickly learn to spot the sites with the real technical reviews.


Also, THG has another forum on monitors - down under Consumer Electronics/Computer Peripherals. Have you looked there to see the comments already made about good and bad monitors? When I googled for reviews on your monitor, it returned this THG forum listing as the second listing the first search page (it really is interesting how often something like this happens - THG forum items are rated very high in the google search criteria, apparently):

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/53689-3-samsung-2232b...

If you just put "best monitors" into the THG search funciton you will also find some good threads.

Another useful tool, if you have not tried it, is to google something like "best computer monitors for gaming" and review the results.

I apologize if I am listing some things you have already done - just don't know how familiar you are with all the "tools" since you are new to building your own. To many, these are second nature. But I am sure there are lots of folks to whom these might be useful suggestion and resources about which they are not aware.
July 30, 2009 11:55:23 PM

rockyjohn said:
I did not say anything about monitors before because the one you selected with the IPS panel was rated as an excellent all around monitor - including reasonable for gaming.

TFTcentral is an excellent place learn a little about monitors and monitor selections. It also has a review of an LG L2227WT monitor (I am not sure what the abscence of the "G-PG" on the end means - it may or may not be significant - you might compare the specs from the newegg listing with those on the review) and a review of your previous one.

Here is the review of the one - maybe yours - as noted above

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/lg_l227wt.htm

One comment - I see it has a 1680x1050 resolution - given the quality range you are in with the rest of the system - you might want to look for a monitor with the "full" resolution of 1920x1080 - essenttially the same as 1080i for TVs with the 16:9 aspect ratio. Your prior selection was 1920x1200 - which is OK - it would still play the 1920x1080 with slight banding and is basically an "older" standard for large monitors. I believe the 1920x1080 is available in a few 22 inch monitors but found more often in 23" and larger monitors.

You might also just google for reviews on the monitor, if you have not already done so. It is usually very informative and you might want to get in the habit of doing this for major new upgrade components. At first you will have to sort through a little chaf - the returned listings for "reviews" that really are little more than sales listings or customer reviews. But you will quickly learn to spot the sites with the real technical reviews.


Also, THG has another forum on monitors - down under Consumer Electronics/Computer Peripherals. Have you looked there to see the comments already made about good and bad monitors? When I googled for reviews on your monitor, it returned this THG forum listing as the second listing the first search page (it really is interesting how often something like this happens - THG forum items are rated very high in the google search criteria, apparently):

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/53689-3-samsung-2232b...

If you just put "best monitors" into the THG search funciton you will also find some good threads.

Another useful tool, if you have not tried it, is to google something like "best computer monitors for gaming" and review the results.

I apologize if I am listing some things you have already done - just don't know how familiar you are with all the "tools" since you are new to building your own. To many, these are second nature. But I am sure there are lots of folks to whom these might be useful suggestion and resources about which they are not aware.


Thanks again rocky for the very informative post. I did do some minor research mostly going off newegg comments and a few google reviews. I often get exhausted after searching for reviews as a lot of the time its mixed and I feel i'm still undecided.

Actual size of monitor is not important to me. From what I read I don't think i'd like a monitor with a tn panel as I like to watch movies/videos or even friends playing from distance and varying angles from time to time. But I also read that it's better to find a monitor that has a native resolution of what your video card is. So I will look more into that.

i'm thinking about one of these monitors now, it is TN but the native resolution is perfect.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Dell S2409W Full HD Monitor
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/products/Monitors/pr...


July 31, 2009 2:16:32 AM

for future proofing, just add a gtx295 for 100 dollars more and when you want to upgrade, you upgrade your psu and get another gtx295 to get a truely 1337 system
July 31, 2009 2:32:06 AM

Thats not future proofing, thats wasting money when 2 GTX 275s will beat a 295 handily, and by the time he needs more than that the next generation of cards will be out which will beat a GTX295 within a few months.
July 31, 2009 2:35:54 AM

Does anyone know out of the two monitor's at the end of my last post which would be better for gaming? I'm thinking the dell based on reviews
July 31, 2009 4:51:00 AM

natenug said:
Does anyone know out of the two monitor's at the end of my last post which would be better for gaming? I'm thinking the dell based on reviews

There both good for Gaming. The Dell also lets you adjust the Height, but only downsize on it you have to pay State Taxes on it.
July 31, 2009 5:07:40 AM

I agree, they are both good.

I am partial to Dells due to my favorable experience with them. I got a 2209wa a couple of months ago - with an eISP - for under $300 - and am very pleased with it- although have not used it for gaming. I would give it a qualified recommendation except that Dell has been out of stock and not even listing it for several weeks.

A lot of people like Samsung tho - and the T240 is highly rated. You might find this link informative from a guy who loves his T240:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/54419-3-best-monitor-...

It also shows why there is much more diversity of thought about monitors than maybe any other component. There are a lot of different features and alternative uses to consider and judging picture quality is very subjective.

I assume you are are that the T240HD version you selected has a TV tuner with it - which the Dell does not - and that you can buy its brother without the TV tuner for about $20 less - but probably not worth the difference for giving up that feature

If you decide on the Dell and don't have to buy right away - you might watch for sales. Dell has recently and regularly had the S2309W on sale for $149 - then $159 - then $169. Not sure about the S2409W.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/99200-8-dell-s2309w-w...
August 1, 2009 2:41:56 AM

In case you have not ordered yet, Mircocenter has the i7 920 processor back on sale for $199.99 which would save you about $80.

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml...

Also I forgot to mention regarding your comments above about monitors, the graphics cards do not really have a "native" resolution but adapt to the monitor. Monitors ususally have multiple resolutions, including one native resolution, and you get the best gaming performance by sticking with the native resolution of the monitor.
August 1, 2009 3:48:11 AM

Just something I noticed while reading this thread:

Buying a SATA optical drive is preferable to an IDE, though with the current drive you've selected, you might notice that the specs don't show any speed for CD-R writing--only DVD. If this doesn't matter to you, then go forward with your purchase. If you want to burn a CD from your mp3s you might feel burned that the drive you bought won't let you.

I like to burn CDs and almost bought the same exact drive for it being SATA, but got the IDE instead.
August 1, 2009 4:01:18 AM

Microcenter is "IN STORE PICK-UP ONLY"
August 1, 2009 4:13:35 AM

dirtmountain said:
Microcenter is "IN STORE PICK-UP ONLY"

Well that is a bummer - but thanks for the information.
August 1, 2009 4:41:25 AM

P.S. those SATA optical deals don't last very long.
August 1, 2009 6:07:29 AM

thanks guys for all your help. I purchased most of it today and will keep you updated as my build comes along.
August 1, 2009 6:57:35 PM

natenug said:
thanks guys for all your help. I purchased most of it today and will keep you updated as my build comes along.


Hey you are not building Noah's ark here. I hope to soon see a single post reporting "Its up and running flawlessy. Amazing speed and fantastic performance. I never realized BYO could be so easy. I love my new PC - and thank all you smart, intelligent, wise, handsome, rugged, trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly, courteous, and kind posters for helping.
August 7, 2009 1:19:43 AM

Well I finally got all the pieces today and put it together in about 6 hours. Adding the thermal greese was kinda strange as I wasn't sure the proper prodecure to take. The instructions are very vague for almost everything. Took me about 20 minutes to figure out why it wouldn't boot up. Opened the case and found a loose screw lodged between the Graphics card, booted up fine after that. Fumbled around some of the cords not knowing where some plugs went but think I got them all right, haha. Got into the BIOS and it detects my harddrive and dvd burner. Currently trying to install the win vista with really long load times not sure if its freezing or just taking forever lol. But so far it's been pretty easy and stress free. I learned a lot and could probably put one together a lot faster now.

note- not sure how I will ever fit another nvidia gtx 285 on the motherboard as my current one is pretty close to the second PCI-E slot. Have a couple of strange cords, not sure what they go to. One small chipboard says three way SLI printed on it ( a small 2 inch or so chipboard think it came with my GPU.) A small 1inch brown ribbon cord with an orange border that says Asus on it. ( no idea what this is for.)

Anyone know a good program that tracks CPU temp?
August 7, 2009 1:25:35 AM

Sometimes Vista just takes a helluva long time to install, just be patient.
August 7, 2009 1:45:26 AM

Congratulations this far.

I am guessing the chipboard is only needed when doing 3 way SLI - check the video manual. And the brown ribbon cord - if I understand your desciption, is most likely an IDE ribbon (cable) to connect an IDE drive to the mobo, if you hand one. Take a look in the mobo under instructions for installing an IDE drives. If it is the IDE ribbon, odds are you will never need it - but you might still save it.

I use my mobo box to hold all my left over parts after building - from all components.
August 7, 2009 2:09:18 AM

rockyjohn said:
Congratulations this far.

I am guessing the chipboard is only needed when doing 3 way SLI - check the video manual. And the brown ribbon cord - if I understand your desciption, is most likely an IDE ribbon (cable) to connect an IDE drive to the mobo, if you hand one. Take a look in the mobo under instructions for installing an IDE drives. If it is the IDE ribbon, odds are you will never need it - but you might still save it.

I use my mobo box to hold all my left over parts after building - from all components.

I have a ribbon for an IDE thats grey with a blue border but this one is only an inch long so it can't be for any IDE drive. I'll look it up though. Thanks for all your help though I'm pretty excitied to see how this runs with my pc games.

update: ah its to connect two cards in SLI.
December 29, 2009 3:42:36 AM

looks great! I would only suggest you go with altec lansing speakers.....my dealing with creative has always fallen short. For 50.00 you can get a nice set of a-l's with a thumpin subwoofer. Iv'e scored some great deals on those at Staples a few times....
!