7200 RPM Drive Laptop

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
May 2, 2004 3:01:05 PM

Looking to do some video and audio editing. What 15" 7200rpm drive laptop
would people here recommend?

More about : 7200 rpm drive laptop

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 2, 2004 10:42:31 PM

Zzyzx wrote:
> Looking to do some video and audio editing. What 15" 7200rpm drive laptop
> would people here recommend?

Hi,
Have an external drive dedicated for that.
My son has 100GB firewire ext. drive and he does video NLE, music
recirding, etc. Works well. Our main desktop is toaster made for
that with SCSI Raid. His laptop is Toshiba PIII 850MHz with 256MB.
Tony
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 3, 2004 12:27:20 AM

"Zzyzx" <x@x.com> wrote in message news:vHalc.52217$Jy3.16365@fed1read03...

> Looking to do some video and audio editing.
> What 15" 7200rpm drive laptop would people
> here recommend?

Toshiba MK-5024GAY. 7200rpm, 16MB cache. And
it is a lot quieter than the IBM/Hitachi 7K60.

dk
a b D Laptop
May 3, 2004 11:00:28 PM

"Dan Koren" <dankoren@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<409559a6$1@news.meer.net>...
> "Zzyzx" <x@x.com> wrote in message news:vHalc.52217$Jy3.16365@fed1read03...
> >
> > Looking to do some video and audio editing.
> > What 15" 7200rpm drive laptop would people
> > here recommend?
>

> Toshiba MK-5024GAY. 7200rpm, 16MB cache. And
> it is a lot quieter than the IBM/Hitachi 7K60.
>

> dk

Do you have data to document that the Toshiba MK-5024GAY, 7200rpm 16MB
cache is alot quieter than the IBM/Hitachi 7K60?

LG

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 5, 2004 2:24:51 AM

( before e-mailing, remove "NOSPAM" from address )

>> Toshiba MK-5024GAY. 7200rpm, 16MB cache. And

I recall reading threads in video/audio-related newsgroups where it
was posted that AV work won't necessarily benefit from a larger HD
cache. If I remember, it was pointed that the SYSTEM disk would help
with a larger cache, but not an AV-dedicated secondary disk.

If this reasoning really applies then the best would be to have the
Toshiba as main HD with the Hitachi as second.
But I also recall reading that access times are differen't.

If you're not worried about portability, I'd say go with an external
enclosure and a FireWire PC card, and get a much larger HD for the
same price you'd pay for a 7k laptop HD.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 5, 2004 4:40:21 AM

<visitor2NOSPAM@terra.com.br> wrote in message
> ( before e-mailing, remove "NOSPAM" from address )
>
> >> Toshiba MK-5024GAY. 7200rpm, 16MB cache. And
>
> I recall reading threads in video/audio-related newsgroups where it
> was posted that AV work won't necessarily benefit from a larger HD
> cache. If I remember, it was pointed that the SYSTEM disk would help
> with a larger cache, but not an AV-dedicated secondary disk.
>
> If this reasoning really applies then the best would be to have the
> Toshiba as main HD with the Hitachi as second.
> But I also recall reading that access times are differen't.

I hope you don't mind, but this is
complete non-sense.

In any case, 1 test is worth 1000
opinions. Take the workload that
is of interest to you and measure
it.

dk
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 5, 2004 11:01:35 AM

Can I assume Mr. koren does not have the answer to my question:
"Do you have data to document that the Toshiba MK-5024GAY, 7200rpm 16MB
cache is alot quieter than the IBM/Hitachi 7K60?"
Thanks.
LG
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 5, 2004 1:24:45 PM

( before e-mailing, remove "NOSPAM" from address )

He inquired about AUDIO and VIDEO work, but wasn't specific as to how
demanding is the kind of AV work he plans to do (multi-track ?
stereo?).

The argument that I offered was gathered from specialized newsgroups
and is certainly directed to at least moderately demanding work.
I don't have time now to research again the video threads that I've
gone through, but here's a quick audio one from rec.audio.pro :

"The drive cache has *very little* influence on long term continuous
data throughput, as when recording audio.
It will only help at all if the disk is fragmented."
At: http://tinyurl.com/yrrge

Hope it helps, even though it's just an eye-opener not a conclusive
statement.

"Dan Koren" <dankoren@yahoo.com> wrote:

>I hope you don't mind, but this is complete non-sense.
>In any case, 1 test is worth 1000 opinions. Take the workload that
>is of interest to you and measure it.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 5, 2004 6:28:52 PM

Dr Lou wrote:

> Can I assume Mr. koren does not have the answer to my question:
> "Do you have data to document that the Toshiba MK-5024GAY, 7200rpm 16MB
> cache is alot quieter than the IBM/Hitachi 7K60?"
> Thanks.
> LG
I don't have first hand knowledge about this but a friend of mine has
the IBM drive on his machine and is very happy with it but he admits he
did not notice a significant output difference compared to the slower
disk he had before. The point remains that it seems reasonable to expect
a faster disk to be somewhat warmer and noiser than a slower one. For
disk intensive activities and large files, it is clear a cache will not
be as effective as speed, the reverse being true to some extent for
small files and less intensive activities.

All in all, I would go for the IBM/Hitachi drive but this would just be
just a matter of personal preference.

Guess you will now have to go by the seat of your pants...
--
John Doue
Anonymous

It will be used to do live recordings and video editing.

> ( before e-mailing, remove "NOSPAM" from address )
>

> He inquired about AUDIO and VIDEO work, but wasn't specific as to how
> demanding is the kind of AV work he plans to do (multi-track ?
> stereo?).
>
> The argument that I offered was gathered from specialized newsgroups
> and is certainly directed to at least moderately demanding work.
> I don't have time now to research again the video threads that I've
> gone through, but here's a quick audio one from rec.audio.pro :
>
> "The drive cache has *very little* influence on long term continuous
> data throughput, as when recording audio.
> It will only help at all if the disk is fragmented."
> At: http://tinyurl.com/yrrge
>
> Hope it helps, even though it's just an eye-opener not a conclusive
> statement.
>

> "Dan Koren" <dankoren@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> >I hope you don't mind, but this is complete non-sense.
> >In any case, 1 test is worth 1000 opinions. Take the workload that
> >is of interest to you and measure it.

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 6, 2004 5:41:11 AM

I'd like to know if anyone can verify what is said here viz the Tosh
MK-5024GAY drive?

"Dan Koren" <dankoren@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> "Zzyzx" <x@x.com> wrote in message
> >
> > Looking to do some video and audio editing.
> > What 15" 7200rpm drive laptop would people
> > here recommend?
>

> Toshiba MK-5024GAY. 7200rpm, 16MB cache. And
> it is a lot quieter than the IBM/Hitachi 7K60.
>

> dk

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 7, 2004 9:09:19 AM

"Zzyzx" <x@x.com> wrote:
>It will be used to do live recordings and video editing.

Either 7200rpm drives are up to the task. I'd pay more for the extra
10 gigbytes and slightly shorter access times on the Hitachi.
For audio, it may be all you need although it is generally agreed that
the safest practice is to use a second HD for the audio files.
Some laptops like the T series can use a second HD inside the swap
bay, so that seems perfect for audio.

For video though, the above may not work because current 7200rpm 2.5
disks just don't seem big enough at 60 gb. For video, I think you
really should get an external Firewire enclosure with the biggest
7200rpm 3.5 HD that you can afford.

I went through a similar reasoning and recently bought an ADS 1394b
Pyro drive in which I intend to plug a big external HD as soon as my
budget allows.

If you were doing audio only, you could even run an external 10,000rpm
HD for even better performance, by way of a Serial ATA enclosure and
PC adapter.

BTW, will you be relying on the internal soundcard for recording ? You
know you can achieve better quality with external cards, just make
sure that in the end all periphereals do fit together in the laptop's
limited geography.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 7, 2004 11:15:59 AM

On 5 May 2004 07:01:35 -0700, DrLouGallia@aol.com (Dr Lou) wrote:
>Can I assume Mr. koren does not have the answer to my question:
>"Do you have data to document that the Toshiba MK-5024GAY, 7200rpm 16MB
>cache is alot quieter than the IBM/Hitachi 7K60?"

The Hitachi site lists the various decibel levels of operation, if
you want a data point. I don't know if Toshiba publishes that info.
Emanuel
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 7, 2004 12:05:28 PM

visitor2NOSPAM@terra.com.br wrote:
> ( before e-mailing, remove "NOSPAM" from address )
>
> "Zzyzx" <x@x.com> wrote:
>> It will be used to do live recordings and video editing.
>
> Either 7200rpm drives are up to the task. I'd pay more for the extra
> 10 gigbytes and slightly shorter access times on the Hitachi.
> For audio, it may be all you need although it is generally agreed that
> the safest practice is to use a second HD for the audio files.
> Some laptops like the T series can use a second HD inside the swap
> bay, so that seems perfect for audio.

<snip>

FWIW I can capture and edit video quite happily on my three year old Dell
Inspiron 8000 with PIII 900 processor, 512MB RAM and a 30GB 5,400 rpm disk.

--
Please remove leading underscore to reply by email.
Anonymous

"Zzyzx" <x@x.com> wrote in news:LPdmc.69642$Jy3.65690@fed1read03:

> It will be used to do live recordings and video editing.

if i were you, i'd get an external firewire drive. then you can put in
whatever RPM drive you'd like in the case... it becomes portable so you can
edit on whatever computer you like..... and you have a nice big harddrive
to use forever.

the 7200 notebook drives are too expensive IMHO... bite the bullet and get
the external firewire/USB2 case and harddrive, as its much more practical
and way more convenient.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 7, 2004 4:55:34 PM

( before e-mailing, remove "NOSPAM" from address )

It certainly can be done, up to those limits that you are willing to
accept. I do some little video editing even in my 4200rpm disk, not to
mention some audio stuff.
But if the task is more demanding, like editing uncompressed video, or
dealing with amounts of captured material, then the limitations can't
go unnoticed.
BTW, how do you store your edited videos ? There has been recent
evidence that CD-r media just doesn't last.

"Tiny Tim" <_tim_dodd@hotmail.com> wrote:
>FWIW I can capture and edit video quite happily on my three year old Dell
>Inspiron 8000 with PIII 900 processor, 512MB RAM and a 30GB 5,400 rpm disk.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 7, 2004 7:15:18 PM

visitor2NOSPAM@terra.com.br wrote:
> ( before e-mailing, remove "NOSPAM" from address )
>

> It certainly can be done, up to those limits that you are willing to
> accept. I do some little video editing even in my 4200rpm disk, not to
> mention some audio stuff.
> But if the task is more demanding, like editing uncompressed video, or
> dealing with amounts of captured material, then the limitations can't
> go unnoticed.
> BTW, how do you store your edited videos ? There has been recent
> evidence that CD-r media just doesn't last.

I capture raw DV camcorder footage via firewire. My editing is mostly
limited to cut/splice of clips - I don't bother with scene transitions,
effects and sound manipulation. But the disk speed is only of concern during
real-time processes like capture and output back to DV tape or s-VHS, as
these are the only times when the disk *must* maintain pace with the video
signal needs.

At the moment I archive to s-VHS but now that my girlfriend has a DVD burner
in her laptop I am thinking of re-capturing from s-VHS and archiving to DVD.
I'll still keep the tapes for a while but when my current VCR quits I will
not buy another so the days of my s-VHS archives are numbered. At least with
digital media I can always re-burn every few years.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 9, 2004 8:01:59 AM

The 7200 RPM drives have great specs, but the one I got (Hitachi) was very
noisy and died after only a few weeks. I've gone back to a 5400 RPM drive.

"Good Man" <heyho@letsgo.com> wrote in message
> "Zzyzx" <x@x.com> wrote in news:LPdmc.69642$Jy3.65690@fed1read03:
>
> > It will be used to do live recordings and video editing.
>

> if i were you, i'd get an external firewire drive. then you can put in
> whatever RPM drive you'd like in the case... it becomes portable so you
can
> edit on whatever computer you like..... and you have a nice big harddrive
> to use forever.
>
> the 7200 notebook drives are too expensive IMHO... bite the bullet and get
> the external firewire/USB2 case and harddrive, as its much more practical
> and way more convenient.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 11, 2004 5:59:33 AM

I read that the Toshiba 50 gig x 7200 RPM was more reliable.

!