Use of reinstallation cd of xp on other machines

nitsigua

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2012
I have a dell vostro 1520 laptop. with it came a vista cd and xp cd,sp3 both for reinstallation. currently i have xp installed on it and it did not ask for the product key.

. I plan to sell the laptop with vista installed on it and want to retain the xp cd so that i can install it on my desktop.
the bottom of the machine has the product key sticker mentioning vista but not xp.

is it possible to use the xp cd on my desktop and use the key on the bottom of my laptop to authenticate it? will it be a legal version then?

when i install vista on the laptop, do i have to use the same product key.
Will it clash and will both be legal since i will be running two machines, one with xp and the other with vista, but with the same product key.

nitsigua

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2012

no, my desktop is not a dell,its an assembled pc. the only key i have is the key on the bottom of the laptop. the cds i have are the reinstallation cds of vista and xp...but there seems to only one key for both of these together. so can i use the xp on my desktop and the vista on the laptop with the single key on the laptop, and will both be legal versions then?

nitsigua

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2012

if i just install the xp on my non dell assembled desktop using the procuct key on my dell laptop, will it work and will it be a legal version which i can update regularly?

If you planned on scrapping the laptop, then you could get away with it... but it is still a violation of MS's license terms. OEM licenses are tied to the computer they are sold with and cannot be used on any other computer. Even if the computer is scrapped, you have to "scrap" the license with it.

nitsigua

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2012

no, i plan to sell the laptop, along with the reinstallation cd