Need help with hp pavilion m9500y

irishguyute

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2007
greetings. I am having a slight problem. About a year ago I bought an HP pavilion m9500y. It still works well for most things. However, after a year I figure it is time to upgrade the stock video card, a Geforce 9500 GS, that came with the package. So I go buy a Geforce 9800 GT. Put in the card...... turn on the comp.... and get a series of beeps ....... After a little research I realize I failed to plug in the power into the P10 slot on the card. However, the m9500y does not come with a p10 power plug, so I buy a VGA adapter from newegg.com. try it again. All is good and well.. Geforce 9800 GT runs and works well. Except there was a loud noise coming from the cpu now which sounds like a fan on crack. I check it out and conclude that the CPU fan is running at a vastly faster rpm than before. It is unbearably loud and constant. So I take out the 9800 GT and put back the 9500 GS. Problem fixed.... I enquire to some of my more tech savy friends about why that Video card would seem to make the fan run at higher rpm. They think it could be that the pavilion m9500y only has a 350w psu. The 9800 GT eats significantly more power than the 9500 GS. And the pavilion m9500y has a quad core processor which eats allot more power than a dual core as well is what they explain.

So without looking at the pc.. only the specs they found, the conclude that the Geforce 9800 GT is sucking all the power from the psu and that combined with the quad core means the cpu fan is not getting sufficient resources and therefore is acting up. They suggest I replace my psu.

Does this sound right to you guys, and what would you deduce about this problem? I am an avid mmorpg player and would like the best video performance I can get, however atm I can't use my 9800 GT. I know that most of the time, unless you build it yourself, the computer manufacturers use wierd configurations and things to make upgrading or using parts not of thier making almost impossible to use.

Now I have heard of people not having problems with this particular card on a 350W psu, but i do not know if they had a dual or quad core processor. According to my friends it would make a difference and is possibly the case that they were not runnign a quad, and becuase I was, is what could be causing the issue with the cpu fan running at high rpm all the time, seeing as it theoretically would not be receiving the needed power supply required to run properly.

Which leads me to the next question. If I had to replace certain parts of the unit to get the 9800 GT to work properly without any problems what parts would work with that system?

System specs
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...94&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=3867529&lang=en

Any help is appreciated. If more info is required I will add if able, just ask. Thank you.

Sean

I recommend these brands of ps: antec, corsair, ocz, seasonic, enermax, and pc power and cooling. Don't buy a no name brand just because it has higher wattage ratings. A good brand runs well at peak load; cheaper brands become overloaded and smoke or even catch fire. Take out your old ps and compare it to some photos at newegg. It should be a standard atx size, so you can get whatever you want. I can't guarantee that this will reduce the fan noise on the 9800gt; some brands are noisier than others. I use zalman fan rpm adjusters to reduce noise, but I don't know if they will fit the fan connector on a video card.

irishguyute

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2007
i think you misunderstood.. it isn't the fan on the graphics card that is making the noise.. it is the cpu cooling fan that increases rpm and makes the noise.. but only when i use the 9800 GT.. not the 9500 GS... and the temps while using both graphic cards appears to be about the same. so i doubt that while using the newer 9800 GT it is an ecessive heat buildup problem... The cpu coolign fan is what seems to increase rpm..... and remain constant at that high rpm....

I am simply tryign to deduct wether it is the increased power consumption of the 9800 GT on my 350W psu or somehtign else which is causing the cpu cooling fan to run at a constant high rpm, and to find a suitable solution.

bdng09

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
Irishguyyute maybe you can help me. I bought an HP m9500y desktop and am not happy with the Nvidia GeForce 9500 GT card. What was the process of installing a new card? When I opened up my comp I saw that the card has a black and white connector cable (3 pin I think) that connects from the card to the mobo. How did you connect a new card? Does your new card have a 3 pin connector as well? I guess I am asking because some of the cards I have looked at such as the ATI Radeon 4850 or the EVGA GTS 250 require 6 pin connector cable. I wonder if your 9800 has similar three pin connector or did you have to by an adapter?

In regards to what you were saying above, are you aware of the graphics card noise that a number of hp m9500y buyers have complained about? You can find it online and get it replaced free. Also, you may have to upgrade the psu. When I upgraded my graphics card in my last comp it required 450 watts and my comp only had an A/C unit with 300watts...so you may have to buy a new PSU. Also, are you 100% certain that it's the cpu fan and not the graphics fan?

In any event, maybe you could give me pointers for changing cards since we have the same comp. Take care. :)

irishguyute

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2007
the Nvidia GeForce 9500GS card works fine for me. It is capable of handling some of the most demanding graphics still. This is a quad core with 8 gb ram so paired with that card I can run World of Warcraft and other games at high resolution with minimal problems. The problem is that most Radeon and beefier Nvidia cards do have that 6 pin connectors for power. This model of PC is not equipped with that type power connector so you need to buy an adapter from newegg or somewhere for it to work. However I tried, as stated, to put a GeForce 9800 GT in this system and that particular card is way to big for the case. The case is small by comparison to most custom build pcs therefore little room for large upgrades. The GeForce 9800 GT does barely fit however and with the adapter for the 6 pin I got it workign but the problem is that the newer card eats more power than the power supply can put out. So If you want to use a different card pay attention to the limit on the PS output. Your system may end up eating more power than it can supply and you will get problems with lack of performance as I have.

There is documented issues with the default 9500GS card that comes with the system producing excessive fan noise as well. I have had this problem and hp has a repalcement program wherethey will replace the card for free within a certain time period, sometime in 2010. I utilized this program online with a few setbacks as the program has some difficulties getting the product to you but the Customer service was helpful and eventually I did get the replacement card. The repalcement has a blue cover because it was modified to fix the problem while the problematic cards have a black cover. I would try to get the replacement card to avoid any problems with this down the road even if you don't have an issue now. It took about 6 months or so for the symptoms to appear with my card. The replacement works well and I am overall happy with the system.

To answer your question, There is a black and white cable that connects a small adapter to the top of the card. That is the power connector. You pop in the new card and there should be a similar port to plug that connector in on the new card. My 9800 had one too as well as the 6 pin. so if there is no additional 6 pin adapters the 9500 will have this one a 9800 gt has that and a 6 pin. you use the 6 pin adapter to hook up the free power cables to the 6 pin in the card as well as this small white and black connector. However i would not recommend this without repalceingthe power supply with a higher wattage one that is compatible. This can be painstacking which is why i chose to stick it out with the replacement blue cover 9500 gt. It works fine and as i said i am happy. The noise was fixed. I just can;t use a better top of the line card without replaceing a power supply which is too much hassle for me. better to just get a bigger system which is more upgradable or custom build one. But i forsee no issues or problems if you just get the replacement modified card. You will need the MS number and the CT number fromthe actual card when you contact them. the website is https://9500replacement.msicomputer.com/default.aspx . I hope this helps and if you have any more questions post here.. it may be a few days before i will respond however becuase of christmas. And yes.. it was the cpu fan reving up becuase of the increased demand on the power required for the new card. It was leeching power from somewhere and the cpu fan was not getingthe proper power required to run correctly. As soon as i put back the new replacement 9500 GS it worked flawlessly because it takes less power and the cpu had the required power to work.

Sean