Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Dolby Digital 5.1 on GA-965P-DQ6 Rev. 1.0

Last response: in Motherboards
January 21, 2010 5:56:07 PM

Hey guys! I have a GA-965P-DQ6 mobo. I bought a S/PDIF bracket for the purpose of getting DD 5.1 audio from my Xbox 360 through my analog Logitech X-540 speakers using the motherboard's on board audio. If I set my xbox audio to digital stereo I get sound thru my speakers but if I change it to Dolby Digital 5.1 I don't get any sound. Does any one know if the on board audio will decode DD 5.1 thru the S/PDIF in or will the S/PDIF in just pass thru the signal to the S/PDIF out?

Hope that makes sense!

Thanks!
a b V Motherboard
January 21, 2010 6:54:40 PM

You need to decode the audio on the PC/Receiver prior to sending the signal to the speakers.

I believe the X-540's are analog, so a software decoder should do the trick [360 -> SPDIF -> PC -> Decoder -> Analog -> Speakers]. There might be some lag time in the decoded signal though...
m
l

Best solution

a c 177 V Motherboard
January 21, 2010 6:55:03 PM

There is some discussion here:
http://forum.videohelp.com/topic341004.html
but it's pretty deep, and I haven't yet decided whether it's relevant or not - you might want to take a peek and let me know, as, not being a gamer (nor in a position to use an Xbox as an extender yet - due to the lag time of Ceton in bringing to market real, useful cablecard tuners...) what I know about Xbox is pretty scarce!
Related resources
January 21, 2010 7:04:06 PM

gamerk316 said:
You need to decode the audio on the PC/Receiver prior to sending the signal to the speakers.

I believe the X-540's are analog, so a software decoder should do the trick [360 -> SPDIF -> PC -> Decoder -> Analog -> Speakers]. There might be some lag time in the decoded signal though...

The speakers are analog. I was hoping the on board audio chip would decode the dolby digial. It works with movies thru Windows Media Player...I get DD 5.1 there no problem. What decoders are there for me to choose from?
m
l
January 31, 2010 3:00:12 AM

Best answer selected by jaycam83.
m
l
!