Sign in with
Your question

Xeon Workstation - Will this work ? :]

Last response: in CPUs
October 26, 2009 4:39:44 PM

Helloo

I've finished building my system but b4 I order parts can any1 have quick look at it and tell me if everytinki is correct and if I could change something to better in similar prices... btw is there any dual quad socket mobo with SLI/Cross Fire ? :]

Processor
2x Xeon E5530

Mobo
Asus Z8PE - D18

Ram
12 gb 1333 CL 9 Kingston 3x 4 gb - http://www.techstore.co.uk/browse.php?a=p&prodLineID=15... - Will they work btw?

Graphics
Asus 5870

Cooling
Noctua NH-U12P SE2 Dual Fan Quiet CPU Cooler (LGA1366/LGA1156/LGA775/AM2/AM2+/AM3) - I heart they best for cooling&quite performance but will they fit the mobo and case?

Case
Cooler master Cosmo 1000 or Cosmo S 1100 - Which one is better for quaiet&cold, I heart that cosmo S is Cold but 1000 is
quiet.

HDD
Id like to get RAID - 0 (thats the fastet one if im not wrong) with 4x WD Caviar Green http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HD...

And finally Power Suply I'll go with Zalman http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA... but if you can see better one from their store let me know ! I never used Zalman...I'm more fan of Thermaltaker.

Thanx and bye ! Looking forward for ur Coments.

More about : xeon workstation work

a c 113 à CPUs
October 26, 2009 11:16:11 PM

Quote:
btw is there any dual quad socket mobo with SLI/Cross Fire ? :]
I haven't seen any and that's probably because servers and workstations usually don't require Crossfire or SLI.

The RAM is not on the list: https://shop.kingston.com/modelsinfo.asp?SysID=55054&mf.... I would only buy RAM on the list.

The selected motherboard is SSI EEB 3.61 format. Are you sure your non-server cases support that format? They might support EATX, but that isn't exactly the same as SSI EEB.

The coolers probably won't fit. You require Xeon Nehalem 5500 series coolers like http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1683....

The PSU that you selected doesn't have the two CPU connectors required by the motherboard.

The hard disks that you selected are not designed for RAID use.
October 27, 2009 1:17:41 AM

Wow thatnx very much for ur help ! I didnt know that there are some HDDS that dont suport raid nor that my coller wont work on xeons... I actualy could not find any cooler for xeons so I assumed that 1366 would work...

So lets start from begining...

Ram... in that Case I will go with https://shop.kingston.com/partsinfo.asp?ktcpartno=KVR10... - lil question... if It will be possible to OC xeons.. what happen to memory ? or should I get 12 gb (3x4 or 6x2) on 1333 straight away ?

Power Supply... well I have no clue which one I can use... any suggestions? :s

and about HDD also if the Green series wont work, can I use Blue series? if no then what 500+ GB HDD can I raid ?

Cooling.. Dynatron coolers are quite... eee ''new'' to me.. I spoted Nouca cooler... any idea if it will be quieter & better than dynatron one? http://www.quietpcusa.com/Noctua-NH-U12DX-1366-Xeon-Qui... and ofc will I fit 2x of it on my mobo... I found this pic on web http://img.zdnet.com.cn/zhuantipic/server/20090330/ASUS... SO I think that I can mount 2x noctua...but cant be sure :) 

About Case I'm just sending email to ask Cooler Master if I can mount that mobo in to their case.

Reason why I want SLI/Cross ready is because GPU rendering is coming in to market (Vray mostly) and with their beta render whcih are up to 20x faster than CPU having 2x high end CG card would give me a lot of power in work.. :) 

ah work station is made for visualisation/rendering/animation 3d/2d work :) 

thanx again for ur help
Related resources
a c 113 à CPUs
October 27, 2009 2:15:11 AM

Quote:
Ram... in that Case I will go with https://shop.kingston.com/partsinfo [...] 8R7SK3/12G - lil question... if It will be possible to OC xeons.. what happen to memory ? or should I get 12 gb ( or 6x2) on 1333 straight away ?
Don't worry about overclocking as it doesn't make much sense to overclock servers and the BIOS probably (hopefully) doesn't allow it. I doubt that you could install 2 CPUs and only 3 memory modules. You probably need one set per CPU. Before ordering, you should download and read the manual. This is not a desktop motherboard.

Servers often use redundant power supplies. Check what PSU are available with quality server enclosures.

I didn't say that you can't RAID the drives that you selected. I said that they are not designed for RAID use, i.e., the risk of running into data loss is higher. Visit the manufacturer's site as they indicate which drives can be used in RAID configurations. WD RE3 and RE4 are designed for RAID use. At a minimum I'd use the reliable Caviar Black, e.g., WD6401AALS. You're building an expensive server, therefore saving a bit on hard disks doesn't make much sense, particularly if you want to use RAID0 where losing a single hard disk means losing all data.

The Noctua NH-U12DX 1366 Xeon Quiet CPU Cooler should be fine, but why not use the Intel coolers?

Does having 2 high-end GPUs for a specific task necessarily implies that they have to be SLI or Crossfire? I don't know, but I'm sure someone can answer that question. Workstation video cards like the NVIDIA Quadro FX 4800 or ATI FirePro V7750 don't support SLI or Crossfire.

Are you building a workstation, a server or a gaming system? They are very different.
October 27, 2009 12:51:34 PM

Heya

So news for today are that... after 30 min of chating with sale support we got to the point where Cosmo Series is supporting this MOBO however...I'm still not sure so I''ll keep dyging :)  If any1 got UK contact number to Cooler Master would be great...coz so far I cant find it lol :/ 

Back to cooling... well I dont rally like Stock colling... so 99% of the time I change it to something different...

Raid raid raid... well thats the hard one ! Still diging however what I plan to have is Raid 0 for speed + 2x 1tb External HDD as backup....

Back to CG Card well I'm not really a fan of Quatro/FirePro simply because I never heard of any benefits from this cards(I googled and I also ask 2 CG companies if they using them or not) in 3Ds Max/Zbrush/Photoshop or any other program that I'm using..... they probably great for some psyhix calculation at university etc etc but so far not for me... There for I go with top gamer high end card just to keep fast FPS flow in viewports etc etc.

Back to PSU.. still cant find 1 hehe but still loking! :) 

About ram still dont kno... I'm googling for asus mobo moanual atm :) 

Thax for help!
a c 99 à CPUs
October 27, 2009 12:55:22 PM

Dariusz said:
Wow thatnx very much for ur help ! I didnt know that there are some HDDS that dont suport raid nor that my coller wont work on xeons... I actualy could not find any cooler for xeons so I assumed that 1366 would work...

So lets start from begining...

Ram... in that Case I will go with https://shop.kingston.com/partsinfo.asp?ktcpartno=KVR10... - lil question... if It will be possible to OC xeons.. what happen to memory ? or should I get 12 gb (3x4 or 6x2) on 1333 straight away ?

First of all, your Xeon E5530s only support up to DDR3-1066. You can get DDR3-1333, but it will only run at 1066 speeds. It is generally not very easy if it is even possible to overclock anything on a server motherboard, so I'd only get the DDR3-1333 if it's no more expensive than DDR3-1066. The Xeon 5500s have independent memory controllers and memory slots per CPU and you will want to put some memory in each CPU's slots. I would recommend putting at least two sticks in each CPU's slots if you don't want to put all three modules in there at once. Only getting three modules would lead to terrible performance as the second CPU would be solely accessing memory through the first CPU's memory controller, and this is slow.

Quote:
Power Supply... well I have no clue which one I can use... any suggestions? :s

Your motherboard has a 24-pin ATX power connector and two EPS12V connectors. Ideally you would get a power supply with all of those connectors, but those are uncommon and expensive. Many power supplies have just the 24-pin ATX connector and one 8-pin EPS12V connector. Some have one 8-pin EPS12V and one 4-pin ATX12V connector. If your PSU of choice doesn't have two 8-pin EPS12V connectors, you can get an adapter to convert the 4-pin ATX12V connector into an 8-pin EPS12V connector (if your PSU has one of those), a 6 or 8-pin PCI Express power connector into an 8-pin EPS12V connector, or even two Molex connectors into an 8-pin EPS12V connector. My home file server is an older dual Xeon unit with one 24-pin ATX connector and one 8-pin EPS12V connector, but my PSU only has the 24-pin and 4-pin ATX12V connectors. I got a two-Molex-to-EPS12V adapter and it runs nicely.

Quote:
and about HDD also if the Green series wont work, can I use Blue series? if no then what 500+ GB HDD can I raid ?

On a side note, why do you want to make a couple TB worth of a RAID0 array? RAID0s are prone to failure and you really only want to use them for temp files, scratch disks, and anything else that is completely inconsequential. If you are trying to end up with a fast OS drive, get yourself a good SSD instead. If you want a lot of storage space, set up a RAID5. If you want a large array with good overall performance, set up a RAID10.

I would go with the other poster's recommendation to use enterprise HDDs like WD's Caviar RE or Seagate's ES drives. They work better for recovering RAID errors and work better with RAID controllers than consumer drives like the WD Green/Blue/Black and Seagate's 7200.x series. They also carry longer warranties and probably last longer as well.

Quote:
Cooling.. Dynatron coolers are quite... eee ''new'' to me.. I spoted Nouca cooler... any idea if it will be quieter & better than dynatron one? http://www.quietpcusa.com/Noctua-NH-U12DX-1366-Xeon-Qui... and ofc will I fit 2x of it on my mobo... I found this pic on web http://img.zdnet.com.cn/zhuantipic/server/20090330/ASUS... SO I think that I can mount 2x noctua...but cant be sure :) 

Intel's LGA1366 servers are pretty picky as to what heatsinks will fit as there is less space between the CPU socket and other parts of the system than there are with desktop single LGA1366 boards. Dynatron's coolers are fine; I have a pair of 680-gram pure copper Dynatoron H66Gs in my server and they work well. I have them dialed all the way down to my fan controller's 2500 rpm minimum and they keep what are essentially a pair of 2.67 GHz Northwood-Bs with HT in the low 40s at absolute full load (four heavy threads running on the system.) Yes, the Dynatron HSFs are quite a bit noisier than the Xigmatek HDT-S1284EE with a 120 mm 1000-rpm fan in my desktop, but they're very comparable in noise to your average stock desktop CPU heatsink and cool moderately better than said stock desktop heatsinks.

Quote:
About Case I'm just sending email to ask Cooler Master if I can mount that mobo in to their case.

The only reason you couldn't is if your motherboard uses a bolt-to-the-case backplate like all Nocona and later Socket 604 motherboards do. Early 604 boards like mine use standard backplate like you would see with a desktop CPU heatsink. I am not all that familiar with LGA1366 units yet, so I can't tell you the answer. Your motherboard manual ought to say how to install the heatsinks and would tell you about the backplate if you need one.

Quote:
Reason why I want SLI/Cross ready is because GPU rendering is coming in to market (Vray mostly) and with their beta render whcih are up to 20x faster than CPU having 2x high end CG card would give me a lot of power in work.. :) 

ah work station is made for visualisation/rendering/animation 3d/2d work :) 

You can always get single-card/dual-GPU cards like the Radeon HD X2 series, NVIDIA GX2 cards, or the GTX295. Those will give you two linked GPUs regardless of the motherboard.

GhislainG said:

The Noctua NH-U12DX 1366 Xeon Quiet CPU Cooler should be fine, but why not use the Intel coolers?

They are usually pretty noisy. I don't blame him for wanting to get quieter CPU coolers if he is going to sit next to the thing all day and work.
October 27, 2009 1:21:33 PM

Heeya

Got some ups, so far Asus say that it wont work and Shop say that it will work with Cosmo case.... got head ache. I ges I will order Mobo&Cooling&Case and see if it will work... if wont I'll send back case and I'll get Silverstone TJ09... its SSI form factor, however if any1 know better case let me know plz ! :) 

About HDDs well problem with having SSD is that its small... I'm gona create animation with Real Flow that will eat that 256 GB hdd in 1 day of rendering and simply crash coz of lack of memory... there fore I need big storage HDD + fast, simply because ATM I got 1 HDD and if I render animation in RF it usualy run HDD to max and CPU only at 25-40% ... I want to use rest of CPU and for that I need fast read&write big HDD that will be fast enought to write data.

About workstatiion yes... I'm a student atm and all my work place is in same room... pc work 24/7 so I want to have as quite pc as I can... :) 
October 28, 2009 1:36:54 PM

Heya

Little update, I'm getting RE3 500gb WD 4x in Raid 0 + 2x 1Tb external backup hdd, also gota order today mobo+case+cooler to see if they will fit together... still w8 tho for email from noctua if NH-U12DX 1366 will work on this mobo :)  I'm ordering only that to see if Mobo will fit to case with coolers :)  if no then either driling or im gona go for Silvertsone cases :) 
!