Biostar Bios update

BobCharlie

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2011
I have a Biostar A780L3L board with an Athlon II x2 250. The highest stable overclock I can now reach is 3.3Ghz. I've looked around and seen that 3.9- 4.0 is possible. My core voltage stops at 1.4000 and my multiplier stops at x15. I've seen snapshots of a A780L3G board where the user had "x" multipliers well past 20? And he had access to higher voltages? I'm guessing he had a different version or updated Bios as it looked very similar to mine, but with even more features than I've been given. My current Bios is AMI version 2.61.

There is a BIOS update from Biostar that I downloaded, but I'm leerie about installing it if it doesn't change the settings I need access to. Anyone have an idea what the update changes? Anyone using this board and have access to higher multipliers than 15? The user with the Bios I was referring to could get a stable 3.7 just by upping his multiplier to 18.5

BobCharlie

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2011
There is a BIOS update from Biostar that I downloaded, but I'm leerie about installing it if it doesn't change the settings I need access to. Anyone have an idea what the update changes? Anyone using this board and have access to higher multipliers than 15? The user with the Bios I was referring to could get a stable 3.7 just by upping his multiplier to 18.5

I already downloaded that update- but I haven't installed it yet. I was hoping to find someone who HAS this update and if it unlocked any extra settings and does anything else other than RAID support? If it only handles the RAID stuff and nothing else, I won't update with it as I hate messing with BIOS flashing. I've also looked at the A780L3G board and downloaded it's update. I think I'm going to buy an extra BIOS chip and trying hot flashing the A780L3G's BIOS to an extra chip and see if that works. Worse case I'm stuck at 3.3 Ghz which isn't too bad- but it's nagging the hell out of me to get it to 3.9-4.0 as I have the cooling for it. The A780L3G board is identical to mine except it supports x6 cores and has some minor upgrades.

BobCharlie

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2011

I couldn't find anything on AMI's site regarding differences. I do know the A780L3G has better setting available though. Even if I left most of the extra stuff disabled, I wonder if it'd work....

BobCharlie

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2011
Well, I tried the BIOS for the A780L3G board, but it wouldn't except it. I went ahead and used the updated one for my own board and it didn't appear to add anything. Kinda sad really:( Even AMD Overdrive (which is utter junk IMO) couldn't go beyond anything in the BIOS. Biostar has a OC utility, but it doesn't seem compatible with my set up. Anyone with a Biostar A780L3L board and Athlon II x2 250 or similar chip been able to get past 3.38Ghz over clock? If so, mind sharing your secrets?

I'm thinking of lowering some stuff, then trying to raise beyond the 220Mhz CPU reference clock that it refuses to go beyond :fou: Well, on a happier note, I found out that all I have to do to update the AMI Bios is put the update file version on a FAT 32 USB, hit F12 during boot, select that file a BINGO! At least someone got something right, as that has to be the easiest flash I've ever done.