Sign in with
Your question

Is it worth removing Intel stock heatsink's paste for artic silver?

Last response: in CPUs
October 26, 2009 4:51:13 PM

As the question asks.... I'm not planning on overclocking or anything, and so i'm just using the stock heatsink. It's also a 65W processor (dual core). The paste looks to be metallic in nature, so it might not be that different from the artic silver.

Is the artic silver actually going to create cooler temps than the default? If not, i'll just leave the default on, as there's a smaller chance of under or overapplying with the base heatsink

Thanks,

~Lyuokdea
October 26, 2009 4:55:14 PM

its always better to clean it then reapply the new stuff, but no big deal
m
l
October 26, 2009 9:53:17 PM

sirkillalot said:
its always better to clean it then reapply the new stuff, but no big deal

i dont think he meant should he remove the old stuff rather than just adding on the arctic silver. i think he meant is it worth the trouble to completely remove it then reapply arctic silver.

@OP, i can't give you any specific data but i would do it personally, you know, just for fun
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
October 26, 2009 10:02:24 PM

Intel's stock cooler is barely adequate at stock settings, so I'm sure their stock compound is equally marginal. If you already have AS5, then use it, however, if you're ordering, then I recommend MX-2, since AS5 is far more popular than it is effective.
m
l
October 26, 2009 10:03:12 PM

if you're using the stock heatsink then adding arctic silver won't make a huge impact on the cooling. you might have a couple of degrees difference (maybe 2-3 deg) but overall the temps will be only as good as the stock cooler can provide, which is on the high side.
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 26, 2009 10:28:53 PM

Aside from factors already mentioned, if memory serves me correctly Intel says they will void your warranty if the stock HSF & interface material aren't used. I don't know how they would propose to prove non-compliance.
m
l
October 26, 2009 10:33:54 PM

ram1009 said:
Aside from factors already mentioned, if memory serves me correctly Intel says they will void your warranty if the stock HSF & interface material aren't used. I don't know how they would propose to prove non-compliance.

umm my memory is telling me thats probably wrong

*side note: i passed 500 posts :D *
m
l
October 26, 2009 11:46:15 PM

as others have said, I would do it for the fun of it, and if you've never done it before, for the experience
m
l
October 27, 2009 1:53:17 AM

xbonez said:
as others have said, I would do it for the fun of it, and if you've never done it before, for the experience

*takes credit for saying to do it for fun*

yeah it's something that you should get used to doing and be comfortable doing so I say go for it.
m
l
!