Sign in with
Your question

HAF912Adv default fan setup sufficient to cool WD Black?

Last response: in Storage
May 2, 2011 1:08:53 PM

Hi guys,

I would like to ask, is the HAF 912 Advanced, using its default fan setup, enough to cool the Western Digital Caviar Black and avoid it reaching too hot tempretures?

I hear that the WD Black gets pretty hot, so I was curious. I am planning to remove the upper hard disk cage in the HAF912, and have the Black installed in the lower cage. There will only be 1 hard disk, and I don't have any immediate plans to add any new hard disk in the near future either.

I do have 1 option to give it some extra cooling, and that is with the Evercool Nighthawk HDD Cooler. I am not sure how efficient this is or how much it might help.

I live in Malaysia so I can't get parts from newegg or most of the main websites out there. There is a link below for the local seller that is selling that cooler if anyone wants to know what it looks like.
http://www.lelong.com.my/evercool-nighthawk-hard-drive-...

This cooler is quite cheap, so do you guys think I should get it for my Black, or just go with the HAF912 Advanced default setup?

Thanks!
a b G Storage
May 2, 2011 1:16:54 PM

i have had two WD Caviar Black 1.5tbs in raid 1, inside sata hot-swap bays...

only 1 120mm fan was blowing into the general hard drive enclosure area (stock corsair obsidian case) and i've never noticed any excessive heat.

in general as long as you have some sort of airflow around them exhausting waste heat they should be fine. for a single drive it wouldnt be worth getting a special cooling arrangment. the only way i'd suggest this is either if you had an entirely liquid cooled system or if you wanted to put 4+ disks in raid which would generate more heat.
m
l
May 2, 2011 1:31:23 PM

Thanks for sharing your experience ssddx. I heard that as long as there is some amount of air blowing at the hd, it will be enough to cool it down sufficiently. I guess you helped confirm it for me.

I will just go witht he default setting! Thanks again!
m
l
May 2, 2011 3:12:29 PM

rekjl said:
Hi guys,

I would like to ask, is the HAF 912 Advanced, using its default fan setup, enough to cool the Western Digital Caviar Black and avoid it reaching too hot tempretures?

I hear that the WD Black gets pretty hot, so I was curious. I am planning to remove the upper hard disk cage in the HAF912, and have the Black installed in the lower cage. There will only be 1 hard disk, and I don't have any immediate plans to add any new hard disk in the near future either.

I do have 1 option to give it some extra cooling, and that is with the Evercool Nighthawk HDD Cooler. I am not sure how efficient this is or how much it might help.

I live in Malaysia so I can't get parts from newegg or most of the main websites out there. There is a link below for the local seller that is selling that cooler if anyone wants to know what it looks like.
http://www.lelong.com.my/evercool-nighthawk-hard-drive-...

This cooler is quite cheap, so do you guys think I should get it for my Black, or just go with the HAF912 Advanced default setup?

Thanks!

I use the WD black series almost exclusively in my machines and ones I build for my customers. I have found them to run cooler than the other company's drives. They also run so quiet that I sometimes have to listen closely to tell if one is even running.

If it were me, I would not mount the drive in the top most bay of the cage. I would probably mount it in the middle of the cage so the air could circulate around it. You are right to worry about heat, but in this case (no pun intended), that is not an issue.
m
l
May 2, 2011 4:58:09 PM

Haha thanks for that dmcomputerguy! Sound advice. Since I am removing the top cage completely and putting the Black in the top section of the lower cage, it should sit quite nicely in the middle of the 200mm fan, so hopefully it will be at its most efficient there.

Again, thanks!
m
l
!