Looking for PSU Recommendation

jaes

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
I am getting a i7 920, Asrock x58 mobo, 12 GB RAM, and 2 5850 Crossfires. I will have 2 (maybe 3) SATA HD's, 1 Optical Drive.

Figure 700W be the minimum?

looking to spend no more than $100.

There was a deal for a OCZ PSU for $50
http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/25555/OCZ-ModXStream-700W-Modular-Power-Supply-50-after-30-MIR

but after reading some reviews, I am kind of skeptical on it? I would also have to get a Molex also?

but i wouldnt mind spending $100 for a good PSU though

jaes

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
shrug, i havent checked the PSU prices and i don't know what is good for what i need, so i figured $100 would get a decent running one since that is what i spent on my enermax 600W (amd x2 4400, 7800GTX 2GB RAM ~4 years ago).

Modular is just where you are able to plug in the cords that you need?

newegg has the TX for $100 after MIR =D

debating on spending the extra for the modular PSU

Is there a reason you need 12g of ram? Seriously, if you are still thinking about trying to stay around 100.00 for a good psu you will have to find one that has a great rebate offer.

I would go for this although I think the Corsair 750 watter is plenty:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139009

Modular is nice but with a little patience you will be able to hide your wiring and make it look nice. There has been speculation over modular psu's loosing some of their efficiency by being modular. Some claim that its best to have your wiring hard lined into the psu and not modular. I have had both and never personally had any issues with modular so I don't really have a good reason to steer you from going modular other than the price is usually more...

The general rule of thumb is a high quality 500 to 550 watt power supply with sufficient current (amps) on the 12 volt rail(s) can easily power a system with any single video card made. A high quality 700 to 750 watt power supply with sufficient current (amps) on the 12 volt rail(s) can power a system with two video cards operating in dual mode. There are a few exceptions like the new ATI Radeon HD 5XXX series cards which use less power due to their energy efficiency.

Here are the official power requirements for the brand new ATI Radeon HD 5850 and HD 5870 video cards.

ATI Radeon™ HD5850 System Requirements:

PCI Express® based PC is required with one X16 lane graphics slot available on the motherboard

500 Watt or greater power supply with two 75W 6-pin PCI Express® power connectors recommended

600 Watt and four 6-pin connectors for ATI CrossFireX™ technology in dual mode

ATI Radeon™ HD5870 System Requirements:

PCI Express® based PC is required with one X16 lane graphics slot available on the motherboard

500 Watt or greater power supply with two 75W 6-pin PCI Express® power connectors recommended

600 Watt and four 6-pin connectors for ATI CrossFireX™ technology in • dual mode

The power supply recommendations are for an entire pc system.

Corsair, PC Power & Cooling, and Seasonic are some of the brands that have a reputation for high quality power supplies that consistently earn high marks in technical reviews. They are reliable, stable, and come with a 5 year warranty. Lately we've been seeing a few other brands offering some high quality units.

The OCZ ModXStream 700 watt power supply is not exactly a high quality gaming psu. It was designed for use by typical consumers and normal temperatures. For ordinary use the unit is acceptable.

jaes

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
yea, it wasnt a hard limit. i was just basing what i spent last time, but that was like 4 years ago. so didnt know what the prices were this time around

but looks like i could go for the 850 for $100, same price as the 750.

thanks all