New SSD, looking for tips to begin installation

Karch_32

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2011
I am awaiting a case, but have a new Asus P8P67 mobo, 8GB of G.Skill memory, and a new 120GB C300. I am hoping/planning on installing my OS from the Win 7 64-bit OEM disk that I used last year for installation on my Samsung F3 drive.

I would like find out the best way to install Windows onto the SSD, and then connect my F3.

I know about the guide to setting up parameters in Windows for the SSD (like turning off system restore), but can you please offer or point me to step by step guide, or just a few sentences, of the process to go through for installation.

I don't mind keeping Office and other programs on the F3 drive, as it doesn't take that long, but want the OS done right, and all the programs to work properly.

Also, the one program I might want to add to my SSD is BF2BC...is that easy to move over to the SSD, and if so, how best to do it?

Thank you.

Solution
This may be way off the mark, but...

The best way to install Win7 to an SSD is to make that drive the only drive on your system, boot to the install DVD, and install. I don't understand what else can be added, if you have the guide that you referenced.

As for keeping programs on the old drive, I'm afraid that the "keeping" part will not work. When you install almost any Windows program, it puts things in the registry and may even put files in the /Windows tree. So the odds are that you will not be able to run any programs from the old OS instance unless you install them again in the new OS.

So for moving BF2BC to the new SSD, the answer is to re-install it. As far as Office and other programs, they too will need to be...
This may be way off the mark, but...

The best way to install Win7 to an SSD is to make that drive the only drive on your system, boot to the install DVD, and install. I don't understand what else can be added, if you have the guide that you referenced.

As for keeping programs on the old drive, I'm afraid that the "keeping" part will not work. When you install almost any Windows program, it puts things in the registry and may even put files in the /Windows tree. So the odds are that you will not be able to run any programs from the old OS instance unless you install them again in the new OS.

So for moving BF2BC to the new SSD, the answer is to re-install it. As far as Office and other programs, they too will need to be re-installed. Some applications, but few, offer the chance to install to another directory during the installation process, but most of your SW will end up on the SSD. Fortunately, 120 GB is plenty of room. I'm still under 60 GB, even after the massive growth from SP1.

To reiterate, almost any program that you ran under the old OS will need to be re-installed in the new OS. Most programs will install on the SSD whether you want them to or not.

Solution

Karch_32

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2011
Thanks for the amazingly quick response.

So, should I back up my data (and how best to do that), and reformat my F3?

<sigh> Always more work than I really wanted...:( Why do I always get myself into these things? ;)

Well, right now the F3 _is_ the backup of your data.

All that I wrote above is about programs and the OS. Data is (are?) another kettle of fish. In theory, you can simply plug in your P3 and read data from that (unless said data needs to be under My Documents for some reason).

The messy answer is to plug the P3 back in and use what you need from it. A neater answer, if your P3 was not already organized into OS and data partitions, is to buy a new drive, copy only what you need from the P3 to it, and consider the P3 an archive backup.

Karch_32

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2011
Thanks again. I rather not buy yet another drive, since I have an F3 500 GB in an external enclosure already, but I could, possibly copy most of what is on my 1TB to my 500GB, then format the 1TB, add the programs, and move the data back (I think iTunes gets messy this way, though???).

popatim

Titan
When your c300 arrives the first thing you want to do is check the firmware version. If its the 6 then you need to flash to 7.

Did you order yours on the amazon goldbox sale the other day? If so that will come with a data cable to allow you to connect the c300 to a usb port, and transfer/clone software so you can move your HDD over to the SSD.

Karch_32

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2011
I did buy it from Amazon, but not a goldbox sale (though it was $199 shipped).
It is Rev. 6. I take it I need to go to Crucial's site and read about how to flash to 7?

So, without a cable, what is my best option? I've got 110 GB on my F3 primary drive as of now.

Thank you.

That should work. Always check that your copy is good before formatting the original!

We each make our own decisions based on our priorities. I would invest in another drive for backups, because the inconvenience of losing my data, and downloaded paid-for software, would be too great. I actually have nine drives in my drive case right now.

iTunes can be moved to another location or even another computer; I did it with my daughter's machine. I can't give you directions, though. I worked off directions that I found on the iTunes site.

Good luck.

popatim

Titan

Yes that was the goldbox sale, you'll get the usb tansfer cable and software.

Karch_32

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2011

I don't think I got that one (goldbox), as all I got was the C300 (and, to my surprise, it's a 2.5", so I had to go buy an adapter).

I got an Antec Sonata III case and Earth Watts 500W PSU via UPS today (it was a trade for some non-computer related stuff I had for years), so I think I will use the case, and start with the PSU, then switch out to my OCZ 600W PSU after it's running.

This way, I can keep my current desktop working until I get everything going.

Does this sound like a solid plan?

Thanks.