Sign in with
Your question

I7 not performing well after plugging mobo power into 8pin

Last response: in Overclocking
September 7, 2011 12:48:03 PM

I'm new here and would appreciate any help given. I am a fairly experienced computer user.
Specs:
i7 920 OC'ed to 3.6 GHz
ASUS P6T SE Mobo
850W Thermaltake PSU
12 Gb corsair dominator 1600 MHz
EVGA GTX 460 Superclocked
Corsair H50 CPU cooler
3 WD 640 Gb 7200 RPM caviar blue HDD
1 OCZ agility 3 60 Gb SSD
Thermaltake Element G Case
Windows 7 ultimate 64bit

I have had this build for about 2 years, updating things on it every now and then. I just recently purchased the OCZ SSD, but after the problem started. I decided to do some wire management the other day( i had never done this to this build) and noticed that my Mobo power socket had 8 pins. I did some research and several websites claimed that using the whole 8 pins would offer a more stable condition for the i7. I had only ever had 4 hooked up because the other 4 had a socket cover in them. I'm not sure why i never noticed it when i built the rig. After plugging in 8 instead of 4, i finished the rerouting of the rest of the cables and then booted it on. After a little while(maybe 30 min) i noticed my CPU was using way too much processes for normal use. for instance: i used to run Battlefield bad company 2 with settings maxed out and never topped 20% CPU usage. Now I see it spiking 100% every now and then. I changed no settings what so ever in the bios or in the OS. After seeing the spikes i changed back to using the 4-pin configuration but i am still getting the poor performance out of the processor. I had already ordered the SSD so i decided i would try a new install to see if that would fix it. It didnt. Well thats about it.
any help would be awesome guys
a b å Intel
a b K Overclocking
September 7, 2011 1:12:34 PM

I think your are seeing a coincendental issue and is not likely an issue with whether you use 4 or 8 pins for the aux power connector. I suggest you download, install, update, and perform a full scan with malwarebytes (get it from malwarebytes.org, just go with the free version). Remove everything it finds and then check your processes afterward. Good luck!
September 7, 2011 6:09:05 PM

there is no malware or adware issues. notice i said while playing game it uses more than it used to. Its not an unknown process that's hogging bandwidth. Its kinda like being a weightlifter and not being able to bench press as much out of nowhere. i will be updating my bios later today but i think its already up to date. if it is up to date i will flash and re-clock it
Related resources
a b å Intel
a b K Overclocking
September 7, 2011 6:11:28 PM

tipless said:
there is no malware or adware issues. i will be updating my bios later today but i think its already up to date. if it is up to date i will flash and re-clock it

Understood. While troubleshooting, I would suggest you revert back to stock speeds to see if your rig stabilizes. If so, then you can tweak (in baby steps) afterward.
September 7, 2011 6:18:52 PM

i was OC'ed for 2 years stable... havent changed anything except that plug. why would that make it unstable? its like half the CPU stopped working. not to be rude and i know you are trying to help... but did you read my post? i am an experienced computer user. A fresh install means no OS related software issues. that limits it to bios or hardware. I havent been able t find out if by plugging the extra 4 pins in if that changed a setting in the bios automatically. i would think not. which means its hardware. if its hardware that means a supposedly safe 8-pin plugin isnt safe or more stable like the posts said. im just spitballin.
a b å Intel
a b K Overclocking
September 7, 2011 6:27:20 PM

So, you have run an CPU, out of spec for 2 years.....could be that. Regardless, I did read your post and I am giving you the same advice I would use for myself (and I am as alpha-geek as they get).

First, I would ensure that all OC settings were reverted back to stock speeds (CPU, GPU, and memory). If stable afterward, it could simply be one of your components not liking being OCed. These things happen.

Using the 4-pin vs. 8-pin conenctor really has no bearing on the CPU will work (or not). It is possible that when you were mucking around in your rig that you had an unknown static discharge.

Without starting from a good, known, stable base, it is hard to troubleshoot any system.

Good luck!
September 7, 2011 6:31:30 PM

Are you sure you plugged the right 8-pin in?
Not the graphics card one? Looks almost identical.
Could have done some damage to the motherboard.
It really should not even start with the wrong plug in.

September 7, 2011 6:32:37 PM

thank you for that last insight COLgeek. i appreciate your help. if the bios fix doesnt work then im sure your right and its an unknown static discharge. an other thought is maybe the CPU cooler moved as well and needs to be reseated and re-pasted. thankyu again
September 7, 2011 6:54:10 PM

Yes i plugged in the right cable. my mobo power cable has a connection on the end that allows you to split it into 2 4-pin plugs. I have always used one of the 4-pin plugs. so i dont think thats it.
a b å Intel
a c 197 K Overclocking
September 13, 2011 1:24:32 PM

evongugg said:
Are you sure you plugged the right 8-pin in?
Not the graphics card one? Looks almost identical.
Could have done some damage to the motherboard.
It really should not even start with the wrong plug in.

It won't start. Using the wrong cable in the wrong place will result in grounding the 12 volt rail.
September 13, 2011 1:38:22 PM

seeing as how i said that it was running slower.... it starts even with 8-pin in. the cable i used is the same one its always used it has an option to either use 4 of the 8-pins or all 8-pins. i just bought a new case and moved all the components over and now the problem is gone. dont know whats different but obviously somethin is
a b å Intel
a b K Overclocking
September 13, 2011 1:43:43 PM

Sounds like you had a grounding problem of some sort. Glad things are better for you. Good luck!
!