"Permanent" houses?

I've been working up a bunch of houses, a few of which seem to work
pretty well. What I'd like to do is make it possible for a neighborhood
to have more than one copy of a given house - for some of my less
expensive designs, I'm thinking in terms of being able to make a section
of a town look like a 'levittown'. By default, a house can be moved to
and from the house/lot bin, but when you place it, it's removed from the
bin, rather than copied.

In university towns, it appears that multiple copies of dorms can be
placed, and placing a dorm doesn't preclude using it in another uni
town. How can I do the same thing with houses or community lots in the
regular towns?

--
Jeff Zeitlin
jzeitlin@cyburban.com

"Jeff Zeitlin" <jzeitlin@cyburban.com> wrote in message
> I've been working up a bunch of houses, a few of which seem to work
> pretty well. What I'd like to do is make it possible for a neighborhood
> to have more than one copy of a given house - for some of my less
> expensive designs, I'm thinking in terms of being able to make a section
> of a town look like a 'levittown'. By default, a house can be moved to
> and from the house/lot bin, but when you place it, it's removed from the
> bin, rather than copied.
>
> In university towns, it appears that multiple copies of dorms can be
> placed, and placing a dorm doesn't preclude using it in another uni
> town. How can I do the same thing with houses or community lots in the
> regular towns?

I managed to create a neighbourhood of cheap prefabs all of the same design
and furnishing but only by packaging my original house, copying the package
to a folder then installing it over and over again.

If I remember correctly, sometimes the house would install as say 'prefab;
prefab01; prefab02' etc... at one sitting but on other occasions installing
the prefab wiped out earlier prefabs still waiting in the house bin.

I hope this makes sense. It is better to sit there glumly clicking 'install
package' over and over again rather than break off, have a look at one
house, then go back and start again. I had fifteen of the little devils, and
had to recolour every single one. It drove me bonkers.

Granny.

Yeah - without a hack, I think that's the only way to do it. At least
that's how I produced my housing estate.

Best wishes
Maxon

Jeff Zeitlin wrote:
> I've been working up a bunch of houses, a few of which seem to work
> pretty well. What I'd like to do is make it possible for a neighborhood
> to have more than one copy of a given house - for some of my less
> expensive designs, I'm thinking in terms of being able to make a section
> of a town look like a 'levittown'. By default, a house can be moved to
> and from the house/lot bin, but when you place it, it's removed from the
> bin, rather than copied.

You can do this by first building the house you want, then put it in the
housebin, exit sims2, go to your sims2 folder in my documents, then to
the LotCatalog folder, sort the files by date, then the most recently
created file is the lot you just put in the housebin, right click the
file, go to properties and make the file read-only. If you now take the
house from the housebin a copy will alway stay in the housebin, mind,
you cannot delete the house from the housebin, you first have to
deselect read-only.

Bianca

ooo - useful tip.

Thanks
Maxon

> ooo - useful tip.

Nice to know, but I won;t be doing the estate thing again.

GG

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 11:47:27 GMT, "Granny Grumpling"
<marrowjam@[reallywild]blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

>"Maxon" <jen.magson@NOSPAMntlworld.com> wrote in message
>> ooo - useful tip.
>>
>Nice to know, but I won;t be doing the estate thing again.

I told you guys this eons ago, several times! :)