Connection to domain slow

clean14

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
i have built a server for my home with windows server 2008 on it. this server is behind a router (as im not allowed to remove the router from the equation). the router is in charge of all the routing in my network. the router is a Dlink gigabit wired router and all the computers are connected to a cat5e backbone that i have implemented. any of the computers on the domain can join the domain successfully and then sign in with any user account on the server but when logging in, no matter what client you are on in the network, it takes 60 seconds or more to log in, during this time the servers preformance is unaffected. i suspect that the router is slowing the process of logging into the server. is there anyway to speed up this process and allow the client to connect though the server without the router interfering with it and at the same time keeping the router in the equation and if so how? i am pretty new to networking.

clean14

Distinguished
May 20, 2009

that is not true, Ive made some networks before with cat5e and server 2008, they worked just fine. cat5e is plenty to make an adiquite running domain server and a gigabit network.

clean14

Distinguished
May 20, 2009

i understand that cat5e is allot slower than fiber, i know that. i dont have the money for fiber nor is it needed for what im doing. could anyone help me get my server to be able to play nicely with the router?