Sign in with
Your question

Temperature difference on a Pentium D with CM Hyper TX3

Last response: in Overclocking
September 7, 2011 2:37:35 PM

I recently installed a CM Hyper TX 3 on a Pentium D 925+ with Arctic MX-4 thermal paste. After booting for the first time, the idle temp was 28C While the maximum Load temperature never broke 40C. After three days, The idle temperature became 40C and the Maximum Load temperature ranges from 50-55C. I ensured that all the fans in the case are working normally and all other temps are normal. I am including the detailed HW configuration as it may help

CPU: Pentium D 925@ 3 GHz
CPU Cooer: CM Hyper TX 3 with Arctic MX-4 Thermal paste
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-8I955X Royal
Ram: 2x2GB Kingston KVR @667MHz
Graphics: Sapphire HD4870 512 MB GDDR5
HDD: Segate 7200.12 1TB
DVD: ASUS LightScribe IDE
Case: Gigabyte Setto 1000
Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 720N
PSU: HEC 600W
a b K Overclocking
September 7, 2011 3:38:37 PM

that does seem a bit odd. normally temps get a bit better after a day or two when the compound has cured.

did your ambient temps go up in the last few days?
m
l
September 7, 2011 4:06:16 PM

My ambient temps haven't changed at all. I expected the temps to improve but the exact opposite happened. I thought I haven't applied enough paste so, I removed the HSF and added a bit of thermal paste but the temps are largely unchanged.

I'm sure the setup works, though. I was using the stock cooler and the system couldn't take 5 minutes of Prime95 before the temperature alarms went off as the CPU temperature reaches 66-70C
m
l
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
September 7, 2011 4:33:00 PM

well, perhaps take it off again, and use less. the less paste you can use, the better. maybe it worked good the first few days as it was still wet, but once it dried out, it was too thick.

thats really the only thing i can come up with. while wet, it would still have some fluid type dissipation properties, but once it cured, might act like an insulating layer of clay.

my advice is re-do cooler set up again, use as little as compound as humanly possible, apply cooler, check for spread, wipe off any excess. the put cooler on and see what happens. with new paste, i am sure you will see those low temps again, and will need to wait a day or two for it to cure again.
m
l
September 8, 2011 10:17:23 PM

Tried Taking off the HSF and reapplying as little TIM as possible but I'm getting the same temps. It's not like the current temps are bad for a hot country like Egypt. I just would like to know the reason for the sudden temperature rise.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
September 9, 2011 12:02:28 AM

That is rather odd but check the mounts for any changes like loose screws ect. All it takes is a small gap or uneven pressure on the base of the heatsink.
m
l
September 9, 2011 2:27:59 AM

I triple-checked on that the second time I applied the paste and the HSF is fully seated on the CPU base w/o any chance of moving.

How do you check if uneven pressure is applied on the CPU?
m
l
a b K Overclocking
September 9, 2011 2:40:15 AM

is your cpu a socket 775? the "stock" type 775 clips are notoriously lousy !! if they are that type, perhaps one only looks locked in place, but isnt.

since you have thoroughly gone through your rig, paste, heat sink and all,, i dont know, i am at a bit of a loss unless somehow 1-2 clips arent working. but i think you'd have noticed.
m
l
September 9, 2011 3:16:50 AM

The clips were very annoying to lock and unlock. But after locking all the clips, i tried pulling them out to check if they were really locked and all of them were locked in place.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
September 9, 2011 3:20:25 AM

tried using a different temp program? i am at a loss.

i guess, out of all this, your temps arent too high to be alarmed about, but i can understand your concern over the huge jump.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
September 10, 2011 1:39:11 PM

Those clips are no good to be honest, I have had only problems from those and went with screw mounts from then on. I got a 775 build my self as a backup rig but I suggest that you go ahead and consider a few options such as replacing the cooler with a different one that uses screw or bolt mounts as they are the most dependable. Or look to mod what you have but you will have to track down 4 long but very thin bolts and the matching nuts to go with them as well 4 paper or plastic washers. Then you can remove the 4 stock clips from your cooler and bolt it to the board. You will have to remove the board to do it but it will work but takes time that is all but if you ever needed to remove it then you will have to remove the board again. It will create a much more stable mount for the cooler and there will be more pressure on the base of the cooler. It should not be able to wiggle or slip and strong enough to pick the whole board up with the cooler without any harm.
m
l
September 17, 2011 3:24:15 PM

The problem is that the assembly was working fine at the temps that I mentioned above and then the temps jumped 15C for idle and 13C for load temps. I realize I'm still far from the maximum temperature recommended by Intel but I was curious about the temperature change. Oh well I guess I'll never find out why that happened. Also note that replacing the cooler isn't an option as my board has a card that's mounted near the CPU to serve as additional Power circuity. It's a unique feature of this particular board that prevents the mounting of beefier Heatsinks. There might be one last reason, If the temperature reported by the BIOS and SpeedFan is the CPU socket temperature, the NB fan for my motherboard is at the end of it's effective lifetime so, it's slow rpm might be causing the whole zone to heat-up a bit. I will try replacing the NB fan and see what happens.
m
l
April 10, 2012 4:47:44 PM

At last guys, I've figured out the reason behind the temperature fluctuations. My motherboard has dual BIOS. I found out that when my system boots with the primary BIOS (Updated to version F11) the CPU temperature reading increases. When my system inexplicably boots from the backup BIOS (left at version F8) the Temperature are 13C lower at full Prime 95 load. The only explanation I can think of is that my newer BIOS's Speed Step Implementation has a problem.

As it's been long since I last updated this thread, I'll list my components again:

CPU: Pentium D 925@ 3 GHz
CPU Cooer: CM Hyper TX 3 with Arctic MX-4 Thermal paste
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-8I955X Royal
Ram: 2x2GB Kingston KVR @667MHz
Graphics: Sapphire HD4870 512 MB GDDR5
Case: Gigabyte Setto 1000
PSU: HEC 600W

Please reply if you have a better explanation for this weird issue.

Thanks
m
l
!