?? Best Memory for EP45-UD3R 8GB ??

CMSgt84

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2010
I would like to upgrade from my 4 ea 1 GB OCZ SLI 8500 memory to 4 ea 2GB sticks since I installed W7 Pro? I may overclock, but I want a stable memory.

bilbat

Splendid
Umm - what was the Bond title? "Never say never"?

I fill 8 on a regular basis - and hit the swap file to boot!

Do industrials; have open:
electrical CAD package with a dozen or two pages of schematics...
logic controller's logic design package, to write the controller program...
touch-screen operator's interface design package, to tie it into the control logic...
touch-screen operator's interface run-time package, to check that what I intended is what I got...
visual studio, with all 'office resources' loaded, to write 'glue' to the controller, and ODBC things like ingredient useage and production statistics...
word, dictating the operator's manual through windoze' speech recog, so I can cut&paste pictures from the op interface to the manual...
...oops, full!

'nother is transcoding MC's HD WTV files - some transcoders will fill available RAM to buffer, and it's real easy to record a file > 8G in HD...

bilbat

Splendid
Oh, and, OP - I, personally, have had great luck with G.Skill F2-8500CL5D:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231166
as well as have walked several posters here through its use onmild overclocks - never had a problem yet, and it usually does better than rated specs at under rated voltage... And, don't waste money on RAM faster than 1066; you only actually even need 1066 if you intend to OC past a 1600 FSB, as the lowest memory mutiplier available on 775 chipsets is 2, so if you're going past 1600, you wind up with RAM frequency past 800 - and most 800 can't consistently (by which I mean, odds are, with four DIMMs, one of them will 'top out' at a paltry 850-870) go much faster.

Upendra09

Distinguished

so your saying that because you use 8 gigs on a daily basis the OP does too? :heink:

i find that hard to believe unless you and the OP are the same person

now you tell me whee the OP said he runs sims and hard math equations everyday

or does in depth vid editing and or massive gaming on 4 monitors

then i will take what you said seriously

bilbat

Splendid
I don't think you're getting my drift here, mate... The OP pretty much seems to have already decided on the 8G - he wants to know 'whose' and 'how'. People are forever, at least three or four times a week asking us here "what MOBO should I buy?", or "VidCard?", or "???" - and my pretty much stock answer is "well, that's a bit like how high is up - what do you want to do with it?"

Is your main use gaming, with a sub-specialty in comparing frame-rates with your buddies for bragging rights? Is it a home office machine? If so, what version of office do you run, and how many programs do you typically have going at once? Or is it just a 'browsing appliance', with a little e-mailing thrown in? and, most important - what's your budget?! It's kind of like a shoe salesman telling the guy who's buying size eight boots that they're too big, without having seen his feet!

bilbat

Splendid
Oh hell - no problem! Besides, I might need you to vouch for me when I emmigrate (immigrate to you :pt1cable:) ! Am currently caring for aging parents, and thinking about jumping ship when they pass - either China (whose history, customs, and language facscinate me), or Australia/New Zealand; I've been there briefly on business, and loved it (you have the prettiest, wildest women on the planet!); probably come down to how I do with my Mandarin - to all current indications, I'll be able to pick a colony on one of the moons of Jupiter by the time I can get a meal, or ask where the bathrooms are!! Always seems, too, that you're one of the two English speaking countries whose politicians have their heads (mostly) out of their arses... (and we ain't the other!)