CPU compatible with motherboard or just chipset?

Dougx1317

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2008
I've got a Lenovo M52 8215 D1U Desktop computer with a Pentium 4 630 in it. It's slow and HOT, so I thought I'd upgrade the processor to a Pentium Dual Core E2220 processor. According to the CPU support list, this will not work. The list only has Pentium 4 5xx/6xx, Pentium D 9xx, and Celerons. But the Intel 945G chipset is supposed to support processors up to 1066Mhz bus Core 2 Duo's. Will this work if the chipset is compatible or are there other factors involved here?

Probably not. Most oem systems don't bother to post a bios update. The 945d is an old chipset; you may be able to use a g31 board, but your operating system may not like it. Many oem pc's have a proprietary windows installation; only works with a lenova bios.

Dougx1317

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2008
Is there any chance that it will work without a bios update? 945g is an older chipset, but E2220 is an older cpu. According to Intel, the chipset should work with it. It's a small form case, so I cannot replace the motherboard easily.

What does the operating system have to do with it? I installed a new copy (Not Upgrade) of Vista onto it. Does that matter? I haven't had any problems with it.

Dougx1317

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2008
I just looked up the bios updates. The most recent update is from only 10 months ago. How do I tell if it has included CPU Support for the E2220?

File details
Version: 2EKT46A
Release Date: 2009/06/02

The 2220 cpu requires a different voltage than the older Pentium cpus listed as supported in the manual. I saw no core2 duos listed. I would contact Lenovo tech support before purchasing any cpus. For upgradability, I would go with asus and build your own next time. Asus offers more bios updates on older boards than anyone else. Lenova makes good pc's. I was impressed by a notebook I saw on a recent plane trip, and I used to work at IBM. But most oem systems by Lenovo, HP, Dell, etc are not designed to be upgraded. They would rather have you purchase a new pc than upgrade.

Dougx1317

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2008
The E2220 has a default voltage of 1.2V, the Pentium D 9xx has a default voltage of 1.2-1.3375, and the Pentium 4 630 has a default voltage of 1.2-1.4. The watts are 65, 95, 84. With similar or lower power requirements, shouldn't it work?

If I want to have any chance of this working, what should I do? (bios update, manual changes, ect.?)

Since my warranty period is over, they're going to charge me for tech support. Is that normal?

EDIT: I just found a website that lists the E2220's default voltage as 0.85-1.50. Is that right? Can it really be that high?

The real difference is the power up requirements. If the board doesn't have the initial voltage the cpu is looking for, then it won't post. If you don't believe me, then go ahead and try the cpu. I would still check Lenovo's website for free email tech support. Hp helped me online for free. I spent about 20 minutes with a tech. With your next pc, look for a non proprietary motherboard design (such as the universal micro atx in many systems). Then you will have an easier time upgrading.

Prebuilds are not made for you to upgrade on purpose. Processors especially, you are usually limited to only a higher clocked processor of the exact same type you have already. They want you to buy a new PC when you outgrow what you have, not upgrade it. That is why we build our own, so we can upgrade and do as we please.
Even if you could drop a Core 2 onto the board, the rest of your hardware is outdated as well, and having a speedier processor just isn't going to do a whole lot for you, it takes a platform that can put the processors speed to good use, and that my friend you do not have.
You are wasting your time, and you are getting ready to waste your money as well.
If the old rig just doesn't do it for you anymore, it's time to start over.