Kingston Hyper x Memory will not run at 1066 Mhz...

RangerdaleXp

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2010
Hello, I have an Asus M4A-78 Pro mother board and a AMD black box edition Phenom II X4 955 processor and American mega trends bios revision 1501 which is the latest for that mother board. The mother board is rated to run DDR2 1066Mhz as well as 1200Mhz memory as well. The problem is that the Kingston hyper x memory will not run at the 1066 MHz specs and will only run stable at 800 MHz under prime95 loads. They are 2x2GB sticks and I have tested two sets of this ram with no luck at there suggested settings. 5-5-5-15-24 at 2.2 and 2.3 volts Ganged or Un-Ganged modes. From what I have read I have not been the only person with this issue and any input would be great to correct the problem. My system is very well cooled and temps run well below normal even under prime 95 and it is the second system I have built that has had the same problem with this manufacture of DDR2 1066Mhz ram not running at 1066 speeds....

RangerdaleXp

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2010
At this time i am not convinced that it is the ram only because as stated above that it is the second set tested and it is the same problem with both sets. The issue still maybe a setup problem other then setting the ram to 5-5-5-15-24 at 2.2v or 2.3v which have been already tried. I think there maybe other bios settings that may need to be tweaked to make them work properly that is not stated on kingston's site. Till i have exhausted all that can be done there then i would say that Kingston may have shipped two bad sets of ram. What i need is any new ideas to try and see what happens next.

RangerdaleXp

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2010
I found the problem, When i was using the auto set mode in the bios for the memory it was giving completely different settings then what Kingston wanted to use so i kept changing it to what Kingston wanted manually, That was a big mistake so i threw out what Kingston wanted and just used what the bios kept reverting to and it worked perfectly. I ran prime95 for 4 hours with no issues at all.

Kingston wanted 5-5-5-15-24 at 2.3 volts and the bios wanted 5-7-7-24-31. I did set the voltage manually to 2.26 volts. Now it runs at 1070 and stable.