CPU core temperatures

clooney3663

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2009
Hi,
I have speedfan installed on my computer and use it to check the temperatures of my components from time to time.
I have had my system for about 6 months now and the temps for the cpu cores would be about 35-40c idle and 60-65c whilst under full load.

I have recently checked speedfan after not using for a while to find that now my cpu cores are at about 70c idle and can get up to 95c :S whilst under load (eg gaming)

Just want some advice on how dangerous this is for my cpu? and if needed how i can help this situation?
And if anybody has got any ideas as to what could have caused this?

My cpu is an Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4Ghz

95C is WAY to hot for a Q6600. Have you cleaned the dust out of your system lately? Is the CPU cooler fan spinning? Are you using the stock cooler or an aftermarket cooler? I'm guessing maybe a push-pin has come loose. Do you occasionally move the system?

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
I advise you to cease using your computer until you have fixed this problem. You risking doing permanent damage to your CPU. Take off your heatsink, reapply thermal grease, and reseat the heatsink and make sure its on properly. This should fix your problem.

clooney3663

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2009

yes i cleaned my system out of dust yesterday, i am using the stock cpu cooler that came with my cpu and yes it is working . My system generally sits in the same place other than when i clean it. I have a little trouble with the 4 pins they sometimes dont seem to sit in popperly.

would u agree with Nuclearshado that takeing off the cooler, re applying thermal paste and making sure the cooler is then fitted well could help out this situation??

ty for your replies guys :)

Yes. Be sure to clean off the old stuff first. Isopropyl alcohol and a piece of a clean coffee filter works nicely.

Your problem are one reason I advocate installing the CPU and heatsink before installing the motherboard inside the case. Much easier be certain that the HSF is installed correctly.

Yes, you absolutely need to take off the cooler, clean off the thermal paste, install fresh thermal paste, and re-install the HSF. It might be a pain, but the only way to really know if the pins are fully seated is to remove the motherboard like jsc said. I usually install the HSF with the motherboard sitting on cardboard so the pins can go into the cardboard a little. You should do this ASAP and hope you haven't significantly shortened the life of your CPU.

Here's some very good thermal paste:

ARCTIC COOLING MX-2 Thermal Compound - Retail

clooney3663

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2009

ok thanks , i have looked up that mx-2 stuff and all reveiws say its better than arctic silver so ill give it a try.

i am going to buy : http://www.amazon.co.uk/Arctic-Cooling-MX-2-Thermal-Paste/dp/B000WU2LXC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1248975127&sr=8-1

And http://www.amazon.co.uk/Arctic-Silver-ArctiClean-Material-Purifier/dp/B000BKP306/ref=pd_bxgy_ce_text_b

bundled together for a price of £3.55. thanks again :D

ill let you know how it goes

clooney3663

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2009
Ok thanks for all your help guys, i got mt motherboard out and cleaned up the cpu then applied new paste. re sitted the heatsink securely and now cpu temperature is at 24c in standard use. and my core which were the main worry are now at 35c-38c in normal use :) thanks again people it seems that my issue has been fixed :)