madmonkeymusic

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2011
I finished my first build a couple of months ago and now that I am over the initial thrill that it booted, my baby is sleeping better and since I have finished SC2's campaign mode I am starting to nitpick and tweak a bit.
My boot drive is a OCZ Vertex 2 OCZSSD2-2VTX80G 2.5" 80GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
It works fine as far as speed goes but I am wondering were the space has gone.
Explorer claims I have only 28.6 gigs free
a) Windows 7 says there is 74.4gigs total (I know you lose some space but this seems like a lot of space from 80g)
b) Windows 7 is taking up 15 gigs. I have set my windows protection to only take up 5% which is about 3.7 gigs and is only half full now
c) other than starcraft and some recording software (not big) There is nothing else on this drive

So whats going on here. If I add up all the folder sizes I get from looking at Right click Properties I am not sure what is taking up almost 46gigs. Is there something wrong with the drive, how windows is calculating free space, some hidden files. and why is windows 7 so chunky. I remember years ago in older versions I could go in and erase useless stuff like the japanese language utilities and AMD drivers I didn't need but I wasn't sure what I didn't need in windows 7
thanks all
adam

Solution
(1) 74 out of advsrtized 80 is correct - difference is computers us base 2 while manuf use base 10 (inflates the space - for advertizing). 80 x 1000/1024 = 7.8 80-7.8 = 72.2 Close approximation

(2) Do you have hybernation enabled, if so that will place a hidden file about 4->6 gig on the drive. Me I disabled Hybernation.

(3) Where do you have your windows page file pointed to, if per normal the C-drive than that will also take up to 4->6 gigs.
Me I set Page file min and max to the same size (small, as I have 16 Gigs of Ram) and have it pointed to a 2nd drive (PS 2nd drive is also a SSD).

Bang these two files = 8 -> 12 gigs of space!! You now have 74 - 10 = 64 Gigs for operating system/Programs
i'm using the ocz vertex2 as well (well 2x in raid1 but same thing..)

i have about 40gb used out of 74.4

the only things i have installed are win7, office, 1 game and perhaps 10 other small programs not worth mentioning.

win7 and drivers alone take up around 25-30. the first time i booted i looked and this is the quantity that was used.
---

the reason your drive shows as 74.4 instead of 80 is because hard drive manufacturers determine a byte as a different number than your OS does. you're not losing any space. both are measuring the same space but with different units of measurement.

(1) 74 out of advsrtized 80 is correct - difference is computers us base 2 while manuf use base 10 (inflates the space - for advertizing). 80 x 1000/1024 = 7.8 80-7.8 = 72.2 Close approximation

(2) Do you have hybernation enabled, if so that will place a hidden file about 4->6 gig on the drive. Me I disabled Hybernation.

(3) Where do you have your windows page file pointed to, if per normal the C-drive than that will also take up to 4->6 gigs.
Me I set Page file min and max to the same size (small, as I have 16 Gigs of Ram) and have it pointed to a 2nd drive (PS 2nd drive is also a SSD).

Bang these two files = 8 -> 12 gigs of space!! You now have 74 - 10 = 64 Gigs for operating system/Programs

Solution

madmonkeymusic

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2011
@ssdx- thanks for the input. good to hear what I am seeing is not unique. Sorry about the poor wording. I was not questioning the simple subtraction but if the OS was accurate in what was being used and what was available

Retiredchief- Thanks I think that is where the bulk of my space went! My hibernation file was 6g and easy to disable. The pagefile is almost 8g! Any info on how to safely move it to my mechanical drive for windows 7. I found were I can set its min max but not where to put the file itself. Lastly will that affect my performance to move the pagefile to a slower drive. I don't desperately need the space but want to put other programs in the future onto the SSD.

madmonkeymusic

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2011

Retiredchief- Thanks I think that is where the bulk of my space went! My hibernation file was 6g and easy to disable. The pagefile is almost 8g! Any info on how to safely move it to my mechanical drive for windows 7. I found were I can set its min max but not where to put the file itself. Lastly will that affect my performance to move the pagefile to a slower drive. I don't desperately need the space but want to put other programs in the future onto the SSD.

popatim

Titan
http://mintywhite.com/vista/vmaintenance/performance-boost-move-page-file-to-another-physical-drive/

its the same as in XP, heres a guide with pictures that I found:
http://mintywhite.com/vista/vmaintenance/performance-boost-move-page-file-to-another-physical-drive/