Seagate internal hard drive not detected

Patelz

Distinguished
May 2, 2011
I have two internal hard drives- Hitachi (160 GB- OS installed in this drive) and Seagate Barracuda (500 GB- for storage).
Now, i had recently installed graphics card (nVIDIA 9400 GT), at that time the computer technician had disconnected the cabinet fan, because of that the temps of both hard drives reached 50-55 °C....
So, i tried reconnecting that fan today, after that my pc worked well for about an hour and then suddenly shut down... After that i disconnected the fan and when i restarted my pc the hard drive didn't show up....

The hard drive is neither detected in bios nor in disk management... Its not working even in my friend's pc... I didn't change any wiring... and it was working well for months without that fan and the problem arouse when i tried to reconnect that fan :(

So, is it something related to power supply?? Did I damaged my Hard drive?? can i recover data by any means??
please help, there is lots of data on it and i don't want to lose it :( :(

If the hard drive is not detected in BIOS, and not on another PC too, try changing both data and power cables. If it still isn't seen in BIOS in either, it is probably dead. Let us know, because there are people here who can help you read a "probably dead" drive.

55 degrees doesn't seem all that damagingly hot.

Patelz

Distinguished
May 2, 2011
Ok, will try changing cables tomorrow and will let you know......
btw, 50-55 °C for hard drive is shown as "warning" by piriform speccy software, so was just worried...

There is!? Please tell, even if this is not the OP's issue. Is it just a firmware update, and can lost data be recovered?

Patelz

Distinguished
May 2, 2011
It is 7200.12....
After trying many things from the web (without success), now i have decided to take that hard drive to the place from where i had bought.... will see what he has to say... the hard drive is pretty new and the warranty is not over yet.... i hope he is able to fix it and my data is not lost...

btw, should i tell him about the fan thing?? will it void the warranty??

and thanks both of you for inputs :)