EVGA- I7 920 running at 100C?

regun

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
Hi first time poster!

I have a new system a friend built for me and for some reason the temps are off the chart!

CPU 84C
VREG 47C
System 25C

Core 1 96C
Core 2 100C
Core 3 92C
Core 4 100C

(results found with; evga ELEET, speedfan. realtemp)

My MB is not overclocked and everything is pretty much stock. Also my system is not pumping out hot air, just room temp. (I've got the altech 900 case with 4 fans) It is this temp as soon as I turn on my pc.

I saw an additional poster have a similar issue
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/259218-28-stock-running-100c-normal

Thanks again!
Regun

Solution
The cooler is not in contact with the Integrated Heat Spreader (IHS). If you push on each corner of the cooler while watching the core temperatures, you'll find a corner that moves slightly, which will cause the temperatures to decrease. This will be the corner that doesn't have it's push pin inserted completely through the motherboard.

Read the directions to see how to retract the pin and reset it. Push first on the leg (NOT on the head of the pin) with one hand to insert the pin through the board and hold it down firmly, then push on the head of the pin with the other hand to lock it. It's not rocket science; it just requires a little attention to detail.

CompuTronix

Intel Master
The cooler is not in contact with the Integrated Heat Spreader (IHS). If you push on each corner of the cooler while watching the core temperatures, you'll find a corner that moves slightly, which will cause the temperatures to decrease. This will be the corner that doesn't have it's push pin inserted completely through the motherboard.

Read the directions to see how to retract the pin and reset it. Push first on the leg (NOT on the head of the pin) with one hand to insert the pin through the board and hold it down firmly, then push on the head of the pin with the other hand to lock it. It's not rocket science; it just requires a little attention to detail.

Solution

regun

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
You sir are awesome. Problem solved!

GPU 37C
VREG 54C
System 26C

Core 1 53C
Core 2 54C
Core 3 58C
Core 4 51C

Much better. Time to figure out how to cool it down a bit more... :bounce:

regun

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
Not to keep a Solved topic alive... but how would I be able to keep the ambient temp lower. I tried using your guide but I had a hard time understanding things to the fullest. Would BIOS help lower my temp?