Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Any help with formatting a new HDD from BIOS; win7 RC

Last response: in Systems
July 29, 2009 11:14:44 PM

Hello all,

I need help with formatting a new HDD in a new system. I'm using a gigabyte ga-g31m-es2l motherboard and am trying to install Win7 RC onto a fresh HDD.

I've tried rearranging my boot order so that CD/DVD drive goes first, and then boot the system with the Win7 RC install disc in. I get to the point of getting ready to install windows, but bios doesn't recognize my HD. I can't format using windows, because it doesn't see the HD and I don't know enough about this mobo to determine if I can format it with bios. Reading the manual it says to do what I just did; i.e. change the boot order, boot up with install disc to format HD.

I would really love to get Windows installed tonight, though I also know how to be patient...but please help me with whatever you can. Thanks.

-Eric
July 29, 2009 11:25:37 PM

Is bios showing your HDD as a connected device? Also are any of them IDE? I had an issue with mine because both the DVD drive i swapped in an HDD were set to Master so it only recognized the DVD drive not the HDD.
m
l
July 29, 2009 11:33:35 PM

Bios is showing something concerning a connection. During the POST I see:

IDE Channel 0 Master:
IDE Channel 0 Slave : None
IDE Channel 1 Master: CD/DVD player
IDE Channel 1Slave: None

*note IDE Channel 0 Master doesn't say--anything.

Quote:
both the DVD drive i swapped in an HDD were set to Master so it only recognized the DVD drive not the HDD

Maybe this is the problem? The DVD/CD player is IDE and the HDD is SATA. As far as if BIOS is recognizing the HDD, I'm not really sure.
m
l
Related resources
July 29, 2009 11:37:30 PM

Okay if the HDD is SATA then that isnt the issue. Every thing is plugged in right? Its amazing how many people miss a wire. Can you plug the drive into a different computer with SATA and make sure that it spins up just to make sure the drive isnt DOA.
m
l
July 29, 2009 11:42:35 PM

No other computer, so I can't test it. I swear this thing is plugged in correctly. i've looked at diagrams and feel like everything is good. The disc makes some tick-tocking noises when I boot and I can hear it spinning/speeding up/ stopping, so I'm pretty sure the power's getting to it.
m
l

Best solution

July 30, 2009 12:11:18 AM

something a little funky going on there since the mb only has a single IDE connector and cant connect on two different channels .

I have a suspicion the sata ports are set to native IDE mode and bios is reporting a channel 0 on IDE .
But because its not reporting a device I think you have a DOA hard drive .

Its worth a shot to change the jumpers on the DVD drive to slave

if that doesnt work , then try setting AHCI to enabled and Native ide mode to disable .

If that doesnt get it running then , sorry, its most likely a dead hard drive
July 30, 2009 12:40:59 AM

Thank you for your considerations. I just called Gigabyte and I was lead through the instructions towards updating the BIOS, so I'm going to try that (if my flash drive still works).

I'll look into meddling with the AHCI/Native IDe modes and perhaps pick up a jumper at a local PC shop. I will probably ask the guys there if they could just do a quick diagnostic check themselves to see if this thing truly is junked, for I don't have another computer to check with. I'll keep this thread updated with the solution to this challenge for all of you who are following.

Thanks.
m
l
July 30, 2009 2:04:00 AM

the jumper will be on the back of the dvd drive

It will just have to be moved to a different set of pins
m
l
July 30, 2009 2:44:37 PM

had similar problems with an older board I had. bios had to be flashed before the MOBO would recognize SATA drives for boot. evidently some boards will only recognize IDE as valid drives until the bios gets flashed. weird.
m
l
July 30, 2009 9:38:25 PM

This is my final answer: the HDD was sent DOA. Had it tested at a local shop.
m
l
!