Sign in with
Your question

Is my hard drive going to die soon?

Last response: in Storage
May 2, 2011 7:55:30 PM

I've got a WD Caviar 640 gb that came with my old gateway, I'm using it on my new rig, now. I have had no problems with any hardware, but once I get to my vista os, it takes forever to do anything. I've only got a few things that start on boot. Spybot, My EPU for my gtx 460 hawk, and pc probe II.

My hardware is a phenom II 955 BE
Asus m4a88td-v mobo
2x 4 gb sticks of g skill sniper
gtx 460 hawk.

It takes roughly 1-3 minutes before I can do anything, without having to wait for it to load, can't right click the desktop, nor does ctrl shift escape respond immediately.

After this period, everything runs just fine, no hiccups, unless I'm alt tabbing between say StarCraft II, Itunes, and Firefox frequently.

Would defragging increase my boot speed? Or is boot speed even affected by fragmentation? I've been going through and deleting many things, uninstalling unwanted programs, etc.

I've got the BSOD maybe 3 times now in the past week.

All three times were while I was playing StarCraft II, so maybe the game caused the crash?

Other than that it hasn't made any physical signs of failure. I HAVE had it in and out of my cases, because I have an enclosure, and it's probably taken a little bit of abuse, but nothing that I've been able to notice.

Thanks for taking the time to read this, and if you require any more information, or if there is a diagnostic to run, please let me know, it would be hugely appreciated!

More about : hard drive die

a b G Storage
May 2, 2011 8:26:43 PM

Was the Operating System on the WD Caviar 640 GB boot partition wiped and reinstalled when it was moved to the new rig or did you just move it over to the new rig and boot up with it?

Also check the hard disk drive's SMART status.
m
l
Related resources
May 4, 2011 6:02:56 PM

I just slapped it into my new rig, as it was.
m
l
a c 375 G Storage
May 4, 2011 6:18:23 PM

aaronstyle said:
I just slapped it into my new rig, as it was.

And that would be the problem. Whenever you change systems (motherboards) it is recommended that you do a clean install of the OS. The system drivers for your old board most likely don't work well or at all with the new board. You can try a repair install to fix it, but your better off with a clean install.

At the very least, I'd install new chipset drivers.
m
l
May 5, 2011 2:27:49 PM

Hawkeye22 said:
And that would be the problem. Whenever you change systems (motherboards) it is recommended that you do a clean install of the OS. The system drivers for your old board most likely don't work well or at all with the new board. You can try a repair install to fix it, but your better off with a clean install.

At the very least, I'd install new chipset drivers.

Perhaps some links, to further clarify and help me do this?

I don't have an OS disc, maybe I can download vista from Windows, and re-use my key?
m
l
!